In pursuit of fair co-creation
<span style="background:yellow">**[Slides from our DINAcon 2018 session](https://hackmd.io/p/BysvwNxp7) now available!**</span> [In pursuit of fair co-creation](https://dinacon.ch/sessions/2018/in-pursuit-of-fair-co-creation/) was a workshop facilitated by Gonzalo Casas, Oleg Lavrovsky & Reto Wick on October 19 in Bern. See also: [literature list](https://hackmd.io/s/S1_nyDIff).
Please contact our interest group for more information, (https://hackmd.io/c1WyqsUwTdyqyCL7MtmGjQ?both#Literature-on-Time-Bounded-Events) this document if you have something to add, visit [this forum thread](https://forum.schoolofdata.ch/t/19-10-dinacon-hacknight-2018/438?u=oleg) or our community [chat channel](https://team.opendata.ch/dinacon/channels/fair-co-creation) ([invite link](https://team.opendata.ch/signup_user_complete/?id=itniqb33kfrdj8i8phqxh5ence)), or write to *info* @ schoolofdata.ch - to join the discussion. The following people have contributed to this discussion:
- Gonzalo Casas / [researchgate](https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gonzalo_Casas2/interest)
- Oleg Lavrovsky / [researchgate](https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Oleg_Lavrovsky) / [blog](https://blog.datalets.ch/author/oleg/)
- Reto Wick / [dinacon](https://dinacon.ch/speakers/reto-wick/)
*Our plan of questions and topics for the workshop.*
- How do you decide what hackathon to join?
- Ask every participant to **share an event** they are planning to go to and/or have been at.
- Bring a stack of Green and Red Post-Its for people to suggest "attractors" and "detractors", that we'll use in the **Flowchart** later on.
- Let's define our scope
- "subject" -> **[hackathon](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hackathon)**
- (informal, neologism) An event where programmers and others meet for collaborative software development.
- "predicate" -> **[exploitation](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exploitation)**
- Borrowed from French exploitation, from exploiter (“exploit”), from Latin explicō (“unfold, deploy”).
- "object" -> **[precarization](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/precarization)**
- (sociology) a condition of existence without predictability or security, affecting material or psychological welfare.
- Share relevant projects
- **Online platforms**
- See [Mechanism for hackathon discoverability](https://github.com/loleg/dribdat/issues/112) in [DRIBDAT](https://github.com/loleg/dribdat/blob/master/ABOUT.md) (see [Whitepaper](https://dinacon.ch/programm/)) and [MakeZurich repo](https://github.com/make-zurich) (2018)
- **Research projects**
- [Hackathon as a Method: Social Innovation and Inclusion in the Social Sector](https://hackmd.io/s/HJPhKLz5M) (2019)
- **Reading club**
- We will print copies of a card with the link to our [literature list](https://hackmd.io/s/S1_nyDIff), in the style of the [Make badge](http://make.opendata.ch/wiki/user:home).
- Lens / perspectives
- **Role of the challenger**
- Alignment of the expectations is critical between the organizing team and the challengers/experts/sponsors who take a initiating or guiding or managing role.
- A recurrent source of friction is challengers who miss the point or are underwhelmed with the hackathon.
- **Role of the participant**
- Finding people you can work with is generally hard, the hackathon is team building on jet fuel.
- Matching everyone's [expectations](https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9553674) is hard, and guidelines can help.
- We do not have many established tools and techniques for being effective during a hackathon.
- **Role of the infrastructure**
- What tools help us to make sure we build confidence in hackathons.
- From pomodoro techniques, to build boxes, to data resources, to network and computing infrastructure, to environmental design.
- Next steps
- **Join the Hacknight, or another hackathon**
- ...start your own!
- **Help make a Flowchart**
- In a playful way our discussion should help to together define the criteria that will enable the discoverability thinking that will be part of Dribdat, etc.
- As the "take home" part of the workshop, each participant who leaves us their postal address will get a nicely printed poster first edition, and possibly chocolate `;-)`
- **Join the online discussion**