--- tags: meeting --- Continuing Meeting Minutes === :::danger **General info** - **Location:** Zoom room 622 4760 7160 - **Zoom password:** nrsebw - **Zoom link** https://aalto.zoom.us/j/62247607160?pwd=dU1KdFFmOWZrNkk4U1c1RHpzYnU2Zz09 - **Contact:** Jarno <jarno.rantaharju@aalto.fi> - **Date and time**: biweekly (Mon) starting 18.01.2021, 10 CET/11 EET ::: :::info **For every meeting:** * Choose a chair for the next meeting > chair tasks: send reminder about meeting in zulip, prepare agenda (+ remind others to add topics), keep the meeting on topic and under 30 minutes * list of participants * Mark actions, to be done by whom and until when * note discussions made ::: <!-- edit things below this line --> :::info * **Date:** March 31th, 2021, 16AM (CET) * **Participants**: Patric, Richard, Jarno, Radovan ::: Action points: - RB: check with Radek whether something is in place - PH: another attempt on creating google group/ administrative account - RB: get overview of all the various accounts (agenda points 5 and 6) - RD: follow-up on agenda point 7 - RB: group 2-3 people who will draft a super short announcement text and website text for the unconference (their goal will be to come up with a pull request) 1. About agendas and TODO tasks * How can we keep track of tasks (which often require 1-2 persons to do something and they may not be in the meeting) without ending up with a growing list of agenda points which will at some point not fit into 30 minutes? * [name=Samantha] Suggestion: clearer agenda preparation; meeting minutes and notes separate from Agenda with limit on points (maybe 5? for 30 min) that need to be discussed in this specific meeting. Then rather add future agendas already to the document (eg RSE survey was not needed in last few agendas but should be in next one?). And then when someone 'promises' to do something, have one section which action points (could be all the way on top ever updating with a done section in the very bottom of this document?) * What can be GitHub issue we track there but we will have a list of action points and meta-issues in this document. It can be in a separate document but linked and part of process. * We are few people and have many items. Let us focus on fewer items (such as unconference and survey) and "postpone" some of this to later * We should also communicate better "upwards" (RSE council, summarize here results from the council) and "downwards" to the community * Can we motivate few people to write short blog posts and announcing them every 2-3 weeks? 2. Chair for the next meeting: Patric * If a collision happens, the chair can locate another chair 3. Roadmap for Nordic RSE * Unsure what the status or follow-up action is * Basically communicate our action points and goal 4. Collective calendar on website (Google calendar with subscription option) * After this is set up send email to all members * Jarno will look into it, but anyone else can do/join * https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/213720-nordic-rse/topic/Calendar.20for.20Nordic-RSE 5. Collect all nRSE 'things' (website, twitter, repository,...) * Membership list (Jarno, Richard) * twitter * domain name (Radek, ??) * hackmd group * github organization * google drive 6. Cleaning up mailing list * Radovan is getting more and more spam on the conference mailing lists (pc, organizers, announcements) * What other mailing lists do we have? * Can we consolidate it a bit? 7. Richard has asked an expert about the statutes * Radovan checked with NeIC and it seems we cannot use CodeRefinery budget to cover organization registration 8. Funding sources? 9. Unconference in June * according to poll: * early afternoon preferred time of day **13-16 CET** (5 votes vs 3,3,2 votes for other times) * late june preferred over early june with most votes (4) for **22/23.6** and second most (3) for 15/16.6 or 29/30.6 * **decided time**: * advertising: * twitter: * webpage: * ... * we think this and other events are core, we should prioritize this, not make it too formal * perhaps a group of 2-3 people can draft a 1-pager for how this could event could look and bring it back to this group * the group actually organizing this does not have to be the same group (to lower the barrier to contribute ideas without committing for a lot of work) * also let's try to "code-share" events that we need to do anyway (e.g. RSH) and cross-announce them * events are key to grow visibility/community * unconference could be first newsletter * Ideas: * Two ways of accepting ideas before the unconference: * Github issues * A public shared document (editable by everyone, no security :)) * Decide 2 times for a planning meeting before sending the announcement. In the announcement invite everyone to join those meetings. * "Join the Unconference planning meetings on ... and ...!" 10. Disseminating RSE survey in April - Twitter - Sigma2/metacenter slack - CR chat - Carpentries instructors (use general mailing list in the topicbox) - Carpentries slack - RSE slack, Nordic channel - Our members - Group email * first check done * overall delayed * idea: announce unconference at the same time (and mention survey when we announce unconference) 11. No international RSE conference this year * event in fall # 2021-03-17 :::info * **Date:** March 17th, 2021, 16AM (CET) * **Participants**: Jarno, Patric, Samantha, Radovan ::: 1. Chair for the next meeting: Radovan 2. Lightning talk on Nordic-RSE for the Communities workshop (https://sorse.github.io/programme/workshops/event-031/). * On the 17th https://researchsoft.github.io/community-ws/ * share on twitter that NordicRSE has been there * notes available from Jarno and Anne https://hackmd.io/PTKmgWKiS-SXkbnOCaTSPg 3. Roadmap for Nordic RSE * timeline of what NordicRSE intends to achieve and what we do and why people would want to joing the community * website work has started (frontpage) * building local chapters (offering support on website? list chapters, announce meetings) * registering as association in summer * Radovan in progress of checking whether this can be covered with CR budget. it looks like it but still more discussions needed. I will keep you updated. * collection of membership fee? (as association; for payment for domain) 5. Inform members about new meeting time * Collective calendar on website (Google calendar with subscription option) * After this is set up send email to all members * Jarno will look into it, but anyone else can do/join * maintenance? -> collective 6. Collect all nRSE 'things' (website, twitter, repository,...) * Membership list (Jarno, Richard) * twitter * domain name (Radek, ??) * hackmd group * github organization * google drive 8. Richard has asked an expert about the statutes 9. Changes on the website * some changes happened * making it clearer what is a RSE, what does nRSE do (done) * done: https://github.com/nordic-rse/nordic-rse.github.io/pull/213 11. Funding sources? 12. Possible unconference in June * meetup with flexible topics (lightweight) * dates -> poll in Zulip (Samantha) * two halfdays (tue+wed, morning/afternoon) 14. Disseminating RSE survey in April - Twitter - Sigma2/metacenter slack - CR chat - Carpentries instructors (use general mailing list in the topicbox) - Carpentries slack - RSE slack, Nordic channel - Our members - Group email * first check done * overall delayed 15. No international RSE conference this year * event in fall * difficulty: timezones # Previous Agendas <!-- Do not edit below this point --> # 2021-03-01 :::info * **Date:** March 1st, 2021, 10AM (CET) * **Participants**: Jarno, Richard, Anne, Naoe, Samantha, Radovan ::: 1. Chair for the next meeting: * Samantha * Jarno will move the meeting 3. Need a volunteer to organize this meeting for the next two months. * Send a reminder on Zulip * Take notes at the meeting * Be present most times * Rotate the chair * Move the meeting to a better time? [Jarno] 4. Disseminating RSE survey in April - Twitter - Sigma2/metacenter slack - CR chat - Carpentries instructors (use general mailing list in the topicbox) - Carpentries slack - RSE slack, Nordic channel - Our members - Group email 5. Lightning talk on Nordic-RSE for the Communities workshop (https://sorse.github.io/programme/workshops/event-031/). * On the 17th https://researchsoft.github.io/community-ws/ * Anne will attend * "Developing an international RSE community" * 'RSE' in different places in different countries * Separate national institutions * Practical challenges: which country to register in? 7. The website has changed in key places * [Anne] Change the first paragraph to a description of the association and the timeline * Create the roadmap with some basic content to start with * Suggestion: Add a calendar with all our events (coffee breaks, biweekly meetings) 9. Roadmap for Nordic RSE * What can we do? What do RSEs need? * Registering the association (this summer) * This is necessary for the workshop 10. Funding sources? 11. Possible unconference in June # 2021-02-15 :::info * **Date:** Feb 15, 2021, 10AM (CET) * **Participants**: Jarno Rantaharju, Anne Fouilloux, Patric Holmvall, Richard Darst, Radovan (watching hackmd, in parallel meeting) ::: 1. Disseminating RSE survey? - Survey will be run in April (open beginning of April and close end of April) - We should start planning dissemination channels - Twitter - Sigma2/metacenter slack - CR chat - Carpentries instructors (but using the public pages, we cannot use the internal Carpentries mailing list) - Carpentries slack - RSE slack, Nordic channel - Our members - Group email - Patric and Radovan are now checking the survey form and will need 2 more people who can help checking consistency of the survey (whether the survey has the right logic, not anymore checking the questions themselves). 2. Update the website (Anne) * Move conference * Biweekly meeting to front page 4. Lightning talk on Nordic-RSE for the Communities workshop (https://sorse.github.io/programme/workshops/event-031/). * 17th and 18th March 09:00 – 11:00 UTC * What can we learn from this workshop, about developing Nordic-RSE? 5. Possible uncoference meetup * Survey coming after May, maybe meetup in June? 7. What to do with contact@nordic-rse.org? 8. Think about an agenda: Open roadmap? * What do you need to learn in 2021? What do you want to learn? * What can we do on a Nordic scale? * Not a local RSE group, but at larger scale. * Enable career development: * Add a job board on the website * Lobby and guide funding organizations and infrastructure projects. * Bring together expertise from a larger network: * Hackathons, discussion channels * Spread name recognition: * Conference and workshops 9. We need to find funding * For lobbying at higher level organizations, spreading information 11. Things we should do from the online meetup: (No need to cover all of this today.) * Knowledge sharing and building a community. * One way to achieve this is to have meetings, courses and other events. * Start building local communities when possible (after COVID, when enough people) * Should we / How can we support this? * Lobbying: * Follow research funding organizations and participate actively when they ask for feedback * [name=Jarno]: We have 29 members, which is not a lot of weight to throw around... We can still offer a specialist view point. * Job board on the website. * Can be done quickly. Maybe bootstrap from the jobs postings stream on the CR chat. * List of useful courses and materials on the website. * Including at least CR, SWC and hands of scicomp. * List of courses with dates. * Link to the list of journals that publish sofware? * Hackathons with domain experts. * Really good for community building and disseminating knowledge. "A research software engineer is someone involved in research, but more focused on the computational skills than publications." "A research software engineer is someone with expertise in both research and in software development. They are the members of a research group that knows best practices in software development or consults that support multiple research groups." # 2021-02-01 :::info * **Date:** Feb 01, 2021, 10AM (CET) * **Participants**: Anne Fouilloux, Marijn van Vliet, Patric Holmvall, Jarno Rantaharju ::: ## Agenda 0. CSC (redirected from coffeebreak 21.1.21) 1. How to disseminate RSE survey? - There will be an international meeting about the survey next week - Members list: ask members to advertise - Ask DeIC and local organizations to advertise - Unions 3. Updates about conference? - Postponed to December - No news about Nordic RSE online meetup in May - International RSE online conference maybe coming 5. What to do with contact@nordic-rse.org? 6. Things we should do from the online meetup. - Jarno will read through the material and come up with more detailed suggestions for next meeting ## Other topics that may arise ## Minutes ### CSC ### RSE survey How to disseminate RSE survey? - Survey will be sent out March/April ### Conference ### contact@nordic-rse.org ### online-meetup afterwork Things we should do from the online meetup. - we have notes, presentations, group photo - blogpost? <!-- Copy any items for next meeting above this line --> --- <!-- Agendas of previous meetings. Do not edit below this line. --> # 2021-01-18 :::info - **Date:** Jan 18, 2021 10 AM(CET) - **Participants:** - Radovan Bast, CodeRefinery - Richard Darst, CodeRefinery&Aalto - Anne Fouilloux, CodeRefinery - Patric Holmwall, UU - Haagen Waade, Kavli Institute/NTNU - Naoe Tatara, University of Oslo Library of Medicine and Science, CodeRefinery - Malin Sandström, INCF (malin@incf.org) - Samantha Wittke, FGI/Aalto - Jarno Rantaharju, Aalto ::: - Choose a chair: Jarno - Keep the meeting on topic and at 30 minutes ## Nordic RSE - Invited new members to join. Introductions if necessary. - RSE survey: any updates? - Survey questions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eyuzP7zuQeyXHzO6alhK1Pz8Yohbl_bL78GjIAEGcks/ - Try to add question about funding landscape (in free form) - Survey will be sent out March/April (do I remember this right?) - 29 members registered ## Conference - What do we think about our changes for May? - We recommend to the organization committee to not have this in-person conference in May 2021 due to pandemic and travel restrictions. - Anne will inform the organizing committee and Thor about this. - One problem (probably nothing we can do about it): we will probably lose the budget if we cannot use it in 2021 ## Other topics that may arise - For meeting minutes: do we aim for one document per meeting? or one document that is updated in place? - we move to https://hackmd.io/team/nordic-rse - people have to be in team (ask from jarno/samantha to be added) - we can connect it to github and share non editable version via website - editable only for members --- # 2020-12-09 ## Nordic RSE - No meeting on the 23rd? - Add this to the website (Jarno) - Find a meeting time for bi-weekly meetings in 2021. Jarno will create a Doodle poll. - Starting on week 2 - RSE survey: any updates? - What to do with contact@nordic-rse.org? - Online meetup went well. Many things to address in coming meetings. - 105 registrations - Unique participants on Zoom: - Monday, 81 (greater than 1 hour: 66, greater than 30 minutes: 77) - Tuesday, 78 (greater than 2 hours: 45) - Wednesday, 73 (greater than 2 hours: 48) - 26 members registered ## Other topics that may arise - Set up a post online meetup meeting (Jarno) - Themes that need to be discussed in a new near: - OC/PC for the conference in May --- # 2020-11-11 ## Nordic RSE - RSE survey: No updates (See Patric’s post on chat) - What to do with contact@nordic-rse.org? - People are busy with CodeRefinery, maybe we cannot address this. - Can we start accepting members next week? - Should we just accept the most basic necessary info, or try to decide everything we will need? - Name - Email - Place of Residence: Country, city / municipality - Affiliation (Optional) ## Other topics that may arise --- # 2020-11-11 ## Online Event - 2.5 weeks to go! - Plan for extra meetings. - Friday - Next week - Abstract and program meeting today at 14 - Abstracts only sent to those interested / invited - Advertising - DK: Birgitte/DeIC (Naoe) - FI: Richard will ask about CSC advertisement - Abstract submission deadline postponed to next Monday. (Talk about it at 14) - How late can we make this? - Keynote titles? - Alys Brett. Need title. - Richard Darst: RSE program design for equality (Is this the title?) - Which platform should we use? Depends on the number of participants and abstracts. - HackMD + Zoom + gather.town? (since we know these tools) - HackMD + Zoom - Discussion in different breakout rooms - Coordinate rooms on hackpad - Simple, we already know all we need to do - Roles for the event: - Tech related: - Abstract review - Program practicalities - Scheduling and speaker coordination - What else needs to happen before the event? ## Nordic RSE - RSE survey - Actions needed? - There is a meeting Nov 17, 4 pm - Jeremy drafted this very good text: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r2YdGZJMgGqZWNA2Itk8Vgdu-XUoR_0iBfB2ovFx-8A/ - Who/how is following up? - What to do with contact@nordic-rse.org? ## Other topics that may arise --- # 2020-11-04 ## Online Event - 3.5 weeks to go! - Meeting frequency from here on? - For planning meetings we need weekly short update meetings - Meeting day: Wednesdays are problematic for CodeRefinery workshop contributors - Poll on chat to find out which day or which time is better for planning meetings. This does not mean we need to move the bi-weekly community meetings. Radovan will ask on chat about time slots (Monday or Friday, alternatively afternoons) - Advertising (also next point) - “i've announced it via SNIC training newsletter and SeRC, will do reruns in those channels and try to think of new channels” - Will appear in PDC newsletter - ~~Radovan will send to nordic-rse-announcements~~ - ~~Radovan will talk with Vigdis (Sigma2) to get the info to Norway HPC users/ newsletter~~ - ~~Twitter not done yet, Radovan will send current draft. We need to send something every few days.~~ - ~~Slack on NeIC: Radovan will write~~ - ~~“UK” RSE Slack: Radovan will write on general~~ - ~~Naoe will ask for an email list of RSEs within UiO to Sabry and send to them.~~ - Jarno will ask Juho about advertising through CSC - ~~DK: Birgitte/DeIC (Naoe)~~ - ~~EE: Radovan will inform Ilja about the event to inform their network~~ - ~~FI: Richard will ask about CSC advertisement~~ - ~~FI: Richard will post to HPC users list after program a bit more refined~~ - ~~SINTEF: Radovan~~ - Scope of advertising: It’s about Nordic RSE, everybody who is interested in this, is welcome - Abstract submission deadline next Monday. - Should we postpone the deadline? (When should we announce this?) - A couple of abstracts. How can you advertise more? - Proposal incubator (https://github.com/nordic-rse/meetups/issues) - Public discussion on a program suggestion - Keynote titles? - Alys Brett. Need title. - Richard Darst: RSE program design for equality (Is this the title?) - Which platform should we use? Depends on the number of participants and abstracts. - HackMD + Zoom + gather.town? (since we know these tools) ## What else needs to happen before the event? ## Nordic RSE - RSE survey - There is a meeting Nov 17, 4 pm - Jeremy drafted this very good text: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r2YdGZJMgGqZWNA2Itk8Vgdu-XUoR_0iBfB2ovFx-8A/ - Who/how is following up? - What to do with contact@nordic-rse.org? ## Other topics that may arise --- # 2020-10-28 - Choose a secretary - Maintain these notes - Post a short brief on the CodeRefinery chat ## Online Event - Registration and abstract submission are open! - A couple of abstracts. How can you advertise more? - Keynote titles? - Which platform should we use? Depends on the number of participants and abstracts. - What else needs to happen before the event? ## Other topics that may arise --- # 2020-10-14 ## Nordic RSE - When an action requires review, also assign a reviewer - Who has access and admin rights on GitHub? Who should? - In the interest of time, concentrate on the online event in this meeting? - GitHub organization management - org management became a bit of a bottleneck. - Thor: Add to the github organization: susamerz, eglerean, samumantha, (done) - Thor: Make admin: rantahar, rkdarst (done) - Nordic-RSE membership - Useful to have this set up before December, so that people can join in that event. - Why would someone want to join? What are we doing? This story must be developed by December. - Need to collect names and locations of residence (to be a formal association) - where? private google drive? - What is Nordic-RSE's value for its members? - Jeremy: a lot is for advocacy of RSE value, since that's something that you can't do alone - In UK it was advocating for RSE groups but that's not the only way, for example you could advocate for individual positions - Discussion copied to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r2YdGZJMgGqZWNA2Itk8Vgdu-XUoR_0iBfB2ovFx-8A/edit ## Online Event - 7 weeks from now :) - https://nordic-rse.org/nordic-events/2020-12-01-get-together/ - Is the information on the website currently right? - Advertising: When and where? - Do we have an email template? - Thor: make a template email to send out - Enrico can help with making a twitter card header for the page [I will chat with Radovan] - Jarno: Check agenda (review: Richard?) - Keynote talks: - Alys: - Confirmed - (Jeremy) Ask for title - slides from de-RSE: https://de-rse.org/de/conf2019/talk/ZD3B3K/ - Alys: “This would be half the length so I'd focus on material about the history and motivation for the RSE movement (roles, groups and regional/national communities) and update for more recent developments. It's more suitable as an overview for people involved in research & software but newish to the RSE concept and community I'd say...” - 10 min introduction to the event Nordic RSE, CR - Alys (30 min plus QA), suggestion is to start 1 pm UK time, 2 pm Norway time, 3 pm Finland time - CodeRefinery - Contact email: - currently to Anne, Radovan, Radek: we need more people - To be added: ??? Jarno, Naoe - Use Freshdesk? - Abstract submission: - Form on NeIC Indico: ask for a 3 sentence description - May as well reuse that form for this workshop - (Issues on nordic-rse.github.io repo - no, don't change now, we will use the existing form) - Registration: - lightweight but people need to fill out short form to get connection details - Registration will be part of the abstract submission in indico - Mandatory: Name, email, privacy policy agreement - Optional: Country, Affiliation - Proposed types of events - Panel session to raise the profile of some people in the community - Breakout sessions with questions work well and then reporting back to plenary - https://qiqochat.com/about - Issue: doesn’t offer lots of functionality - Users can switch between breakout rooms - Why not used in previous event: gets pricey quickly, charges per user and minute - https://remo.co/conference/ - https://gather.town/ - If too many people in same area of virtual room then video connection will flicker on and off. As long as only 5-6 people in each cluster it works fine - Overall good experience with this platform though - https://theonline.town/overview - Need to explore these platforms to see which work best for networking and switching between breakout rooms / sessions - What else needs to happen? --- # 2020-09-30 - December get-together (https://nordic-rse.org/nordic-events/2020-12-01-get-together/) - What actions are needed to make this happen? - Is the information on the website currently right? ## Program in the Online Event - Monday (Nov 30): Keynote talks - Alys, but needs to be confirmed - Suggestion: double-keynote: - 10 min introduction to the event Nordic RSE, CR - Alys (30 min plus QA), suggestion is to start 1 pm UK time, 2 pm Norway time, 3 pm Finland time - to be confirmed - ACTION: JC to contact Alys and confirm as soon as possible - Abstract submission: - form - 5 minutes - 3 sentence description - but also provide some platform (github issues on nordic-rse.github.io repo ? we can even create a separate one, let’s see) to propose and discuss ideas - also check https://carpentryconnect.org/online/ for reusable ideas - we will use the neic indico - Registration: - lightweight but people need to fill out short form to get connection details | Tuesday (all times CET): | | | -------- | -------- | | 9 - 10: | lighting talks | | 10 - 10:30: | coffee / freeform conversation| | 10:30 - 11:30: | Talks/workshops/events| | 11:30 - 12:30: | Lunch / freeform conversation| | 12:30 - 14: | Discussion sessions (some with short topic introduction), can be a la collab workshop where a group discusses, takes notes, and the result is a speed blog - topics would be pitched in advance| | | Workshops| | | Reprohacks | | 14 - : | coffee / conversation| | Wednesday (same structure as tue): | | | -------- | -------- | |9 - 10: | Panel session| | 10 - 10:30:| coffee / freeform conversation| |10:30 - 11:30: | Talks/workshops/events| |11:30 - 12:30: | Lunch / freeform conversation| |12:30 - 14: | Discussion sessions (some with short topic introduction), can be a la collab workshop where a group discusses, takes notes, and the result is a speed blog - topics would be pitched in advance| | | Workshops| | | Reprohacks | | 14 - :| coffee / conversation| - Proposed types of events - Panel session to raise the profile of some people in the community - Breakout sessions with questions work well and then reporting back to plenary - https://qiqochat.com/about - Issue: doesn’t offer lots of functionality - Users can switch between breakout rooms - Why not used in previous event: gets pricey quickly, charges per user and minute - https://remo.co/conference/ - https://gather.town/ - If too many people in same area of virtual room then video connection will flicker on and off. As long as only 5-6 people in each cluster it works fine - Overall good experience with this platform though - https://theonline.town/overview - Need to explore these platforms to see which work best for networking and switching between breakout rooms / sessions ## Nordic-RSE in general - What is Nordic-RSE? - Relation to CodeRefinery - Support International Council of RSE Associations - we formally support this as Nordic RSE, Anne is our delegate - Membership / taking new people on board / github org permissions - Other activities we can do - What data storage locations do we have and how are they accessed? - Github - google drive - Twitter - Decisions made in biweekly meeting - How to suggest topics? - Create membership system - An association must keep a registry of its members - Name - Place of Residence - In addition (according to our statutes) we would need - Email - The purpose of the registry must be specified when collecting the information and cannot be prospective (cannot collect just in case). The data must be necessary for the functioning of the association. - Members of the association have a right to see the list of members’ names and places of residence. Email does not need to be shared - The form needs to include a privacy statement that describes how the information is used and for how long it is stored. For an association this is generally for the duration of the membership. - Make "About us" tab on nordic-rse.org, start collecting pages under there (bylaws, membership process, etc). - inform about community calls on the website