tags: Rangers, notes, HAUS Party Live
# HAUS Party LIVE! Notes: 7/15/2021
Join us for 🎉 Haus Party Live 🎉 every Thursday at 2pm EST on the [DAOhaus Discord](https://discord.gg/daohaus)
## Notes From the [Livestream](https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1087667146) 🎉
>A grants DAO curated by the Ocean community - Ocean's latest step on the journey to full decentralization. It curates funding in the form of grants. The aim is to close the loop on a "snowball effect" feedback cycle where the health of Ocean and the Ocean ecosystem rises as the usage of Ocean goes up.
**Hosts & Guests**
- Felipe Duarte, dekanbro, vengist, Vanilladelphia.eth
- Alex Napheys from [Ocean Protocol](https://oceanprotocol.com/)
🌱 Welcome to our metaphorical garden! 🌱
## Guest Introduction
- Alex from Ocean Protocol: Alex's title is *DAO Community and Growth Lead*
## [[1:55]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=115) Updates (DAOhaus Universe)
- Discord reboot coming along and people are leveling up!
- Holding a [HAUS token lotto](https://community.pooltogether.com/pools/xdai/0x757807F52A6A2947e48fC501f418b0cB9F1AEe81)!
- Asked HAUS whales to help fund lotto
- Level 2 supporters are now able to participate in Token Log (offchain voting for strategy and decisions that uses quadratic voting)
- Even with a few HAUS you can stake
- LPDAO coming up soon!
- September 23 MetaCartel meetup in Denver
- Wyoming Hackathon this same weekend
- Hang out and invade the Wyoming Hackathon!
## [[5:37]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=337) Ocean Protocol
- What is [Ocean Protocol](https://oceanprotocol.com/)?
- Onboarding future of *web3 data economy* — data as an asset class
- How do we recognize and monetize this valuable data?
- 2 sided marketplace like Airbnb, but "instead of houses it's datasets"
- Buy datasets peer-to-peer via the protocol
- [[6:35]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=395) Ocean Marketplace, but there are others built on top of Ocean as well
- Has numerous data sets on the supply side (such as Amazon ecommerce data, or road imaging data for example)
- Any arbitrary data sets can be sold
- Looking to train ML on data sets can come find
- Contracts enable this: data doesn't go on chain since this is expensive
- URL stored on S3, Filecoin, etc. and then is encrypted, and purchase access token to decrypt the URL
- Kind of like an NFT
- On the roadmap to potentially turn these into NFTs
- [[8:44]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=524) This isn't a *shadow data economy* with *shadow brokers* with big data selling info:
- Sellers can sell fixed prices, or put into an AMM and live price data based on supply/demand
- Marketplaces are hard since need *both sides of market* — what are they doing for outreach?
- [[9:15]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=555) How do you bootstrap a 2 sided market?
- **Supply Side**
- Reaching out through bizdev and sales on supply side
- Reaching out to data companies with large data swathes
- Spreading word to data practitioners
- Organic marketing
- **Demand Side**
- User research and outreach to determine if data sets are valuable, and asking what datasets *are* valuable for companies
- Curation is a key component
- [[11:50]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=710) How does Ocean avoid reselling of data?
- This is about IP rights and IP ownership — can only sell the data that you have the IP rights for on the Ocean Marketplace client
- *Designing for trust* but if there is a flag or call for arbitration there is *Ocean Purgatory* to flag and remove data from bad actors
## [[13:17]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=797) OceanDAO
- Public protocol grants DAO
- Sits hand in hand with Ocean Protocol
- Don't do governance voting on OceanDAO — strictly a grants DAO
- Folks submit tokens and then community can vote with Ocean token
- Whoever receives highest amount of votes get the grant funds until there aren't any grant funds left
- [[14:46]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=886) How does this work in practice?
- OceanDAO runs monthly
- Proposals due first Tuesday every month
- Looking to increase amount round after round
- In June, gave out $220,000
- In upcoming Round 8 (August 3rd) giving out $275,000 worth of grants
### [[15:40]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=940) Ocean Protocol and OceanDAO
- Flavors of Proposals:
- Proposals are for building apps/integrations on Ocean or for unlocking data sets to get on the marketplace
- Community and developer outreach
- Improving Ocean core — software, documentation, etc.
- Improvements to OceanDAO itself such as improving proposal process
- [[16:42]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1002) If proposal comes in, there is a breakdown of how proposal can give a positive ROI back to Ocean ecosystem
- If project can show positive ROI round after round, can justify giving grant based on the projection of in-excess value that can then be used to fund more projects → create a self-sustaining loop for projects
- [[17:33]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1053) Other KPIs looked at for [MetaCartel Grants](https://www.metacartel.org/grants):
- Community growth
- How do you follow through with proposals? How to make sure they meet milestones or are doing what they set out to do? How is this handled?
- Key question being asked: This is the *blue ocean* for DAOs
- Need to define the mechanism — this is a UX problem:
- Submit a proposal with milestones and how much it'll cost, who does what, etc.
- Receive grant
- How do I update about progress made?
- How do I update in a Discourse forum post? "Come look here to see our traction" from a previous round
- Monitoring and transparency around hitting milestones
- Are you shipping the things you're trying to do and are funded for?
- Proprietary dashboards in Airtable — able to self-report on Discourse
- Core DAO team updates dashboard with milestones
- Proposals that aren't being right for particular DAO — how do they get moved around between bigger world of DAOs? How to find fit with particular funding DAO?
- 🌱 [[21:49]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1309)"DAOs in essence are just a way of coordination." 🌱
- As people join "new flavor of coordination" how do you find fit across DAOs? What does a funneling process look like?
- Trying to find a DAO where you fit is also a big part of onboarding
- Need a volume of proposals — need top of the funnel growth
## [[23:20]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1400) Social Process of Grant Funding
- [[25:58]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1558) Identify the features trying to ship — be aware of how each feature can change mechanisms
- If more mechanisms, governance surface area expands → more places for politics, debate, and devisiveness
- Features → mechanism → politics
- What are the core features that need to be implemented and focusing on the positive ROI projects
- More nebulous things "bloat the political surface area"
- 🌱 [[27:18]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1638) "Bad DAO leader if [you're] a 'leader'" 🌱
- Almost an oxymoron of a title
- We often intervene in social process
### Felipe's Questions
(Felipe's questions that Alex answers throughout this section)
- As a project or manager, how do I understand if my positive ROI is due to the project (as opposed to some chance event)?
- What are the mechanics to measure ROI?
- Isn't the ROI the result of a collection of effort as opposed to each project?
- How are we dealing with parallel work?
- How does a core unit within a DAO see these things?
- Rhythmic function to the DAO — is there friction?
- [[32:13]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1933) Coordination, features, roadmap comes down to the OceanDAO core and this carries a lot of responsibility
- Things that are being implemented are consciously based on conversations and feedback
- [[33:00]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=1980) Structure vs. creativity, emergent behavior vs. sticking to the rails/script
- Assessing positive ROIs — there are fundamental metrics key to Ocean Protocol itself
- Saying "Positive ROI" nebulously isn't enough — what does the positive ROI relate to within Ocean?
- How much data is being consumed?
- Are you launching more data sets (supply side)?
- [[34:51]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2091) **Emergent behavior**:
- "Process and structure is great because it gives projects a predictable and reliable source of funding."
- How long are you going to be on grants before you're generating your own revenue (through something such as data selling on the marketplace)?
- [[35:55]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2155) Listening and coordination is important:
- There are things that need to be addressed within mechanics, and can adapt accordingly
- "Nothing is absolute" — these are human organizations and can be updated
- [[36:55]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2219) When people want to change things:
- Asking if being reactionary (if there are politics in DAO) or being in the present moment and understanding the problem and solution, and solution isn't being met
- These are 2 different scenarios
- [[38:49]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2329) Sometimes acting fast is good! Injecting governance politics slows things down — this is usually good, but sometimes people need to act faster
- This is an issue with flat organizations — what *can* kickstart an organization to a fast reaction?
- [[39:43]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2383) One of the things that might help is the quality of the listening spaces being held and how seriously the information that comes out of these spaces is taken
- 🌱 "One disgruntled person makes a lot more noise than sixty satisfied people." 🌱
- Both spectrums of reactions can be unproductive: Trying to change things because someone is upset in the moment OR shaming someone into silence
- [[40:58]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2458) Ask "what is the quality and procedure of listening?"
- Running out of words to explain things in a functioning DAO
## [[41:38]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2498) Historical Look at Cycles
- Any notable proposals? Are there any anecdotes to share? How have things changed since launching the DAO?
- Was involved with MetaCartel Grants → joined MetaCartel Ventures
- Hopping on Discord, joining community calls, being active contributor
- Ocean Protocol cofounders were in MetaCartel Ventures and Alex mentioned was looking for new situation — was brought on to summon DAO in Q4 2020
- Has been rewarding to see community grow round over round
- Has been seeing earlier funded projects start to ship
- [[44:55]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2695) Metrics for DAOs:
- "Number of jobs quit for a DAO."
- "Number of returning proposers."
- 1) Transparency into *previous proposals* and ROIs — are people shipping with their proposals?
- 2) Increasing voter turnout and solving UX around monitoring output are critical to these metrics
- Contention is a useful component of DAO life
- 🌱 [[47:30]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=2850) "DAOs are politics. That's the whole point." 🌱
- More grant askers than grant receivers — great problem to have as it drives up quality of grants
- How do you signal what you *don't* want?
- Being *against* things — if you don't do this, you can risk being complacent
- Introduced *no* voting into proposals starting at Cycle 5
- *Dream feature for Snapshot*: Giving a *qualified no* — explaining the no vote and provide feedback on why voting no
- [[51:34]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=3034) Started with the grants DAO — is it possible other parts of the organization (such as Ocean Protocol) will DAO up?
- Contrarian take: Just a grants DAO, not a protocol or upgrade DAO → all public and open source, so go fork the protocol and update it instead of having it be within the DAO
- [[52:27]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=3147) "Herd Knowledge"
- Many talk about things as if its common knowledge when it's not — *need to build knowledge base* to help bring folks who are on the fringe into the community
- 🌱 [[53:28]](https://youtu.be/NKAoyFRKhhw?t=3208) We need to tell a "coherent story of the future" where it's worth pushing yourself towards an understanding "where you can shape yourself and present that shape to the world" 🌱
- DAOplomacy: How can DAOs work together?
- OceanDAO doesn't have any *direct* DAO-to-DAO partnerships at the moment
- Open to it when stars align!
- DAO-centric information → added to Ocean supply side
- 🪄 Many people hold tokens but don't realize that they can participate in governance
- How do we help people learn this?
🎉 Check out [The DAOist](https://thedaoist.co) Event on July 23, 2021! 🎉
- [Ocean Protocol](https://oceanprotocol.com/)
- [Introducing OceanDAO](https://blog.oceanprotocol.com/introducing-oceandao-efe9ed681b84?gi=3a3b8b8c5f94)
- [MetaCartel Grants](https://www.metacartel.org/grants)
- [The DAOist](https://www.thedaoist.co/) - July 23, 2021