--- tags: CodeRefinery --- # CodeRefinery team meeting :::info - Date: **Every Monday**, 14-14:30 CET / 15-15:30 EET - Invited: Everybody welcome - This document: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/team-meeting - Zoom connection details: - https://uit.zoom.us/j/62141400945 - To-Do list: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/CR_TO-DO ::: ## Next ## 2022-11-28 * Python course overview * Went well, livestreaming large courses is definitely becoming routine. Where do we go from here? * Stats * We'll add python-for-scicomp-2022 to the workshop-stats repository so that we don't forget them. Processing can come sometime later. * Vacations next week * Multiple people gone because of conferences and Finnish holidays. * RD working on blog post about teams. ## 2022-11-21 (no meeting today, most people in EUSSI training bazaar) * Python tomorrow, looking good * self-hosted plausible.io analytics: add it or not? * Could be added to coderefinery.org, all lessons, and manuals. * To decide: ethics behind web analytics * ## 2022-11-14 - Newsletter draft: https://hackmd.io/auDT30UASRepAkjfaEYPmQ?view - please read and please give feedback - will be sent Monday evening - Goals before end of the year - March workshop - [Sep lessons learned](https://coderefinery.org/blog/2022/11/08/lessons-learned-Sep-2022/) - improve/simplify registration process - open registration for March workshop - All registrations open at the same time to reduce wrong-registrations. - distribute roles for March workshop - Mastodon / toot together integration https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery-twitter/issues/48 - (please add) - Update on the SNIC to NAIS transition - Collaboration and participation in CodeRefinery activity - In-kind agreements with NeIC and CR to be renewed - Diana will give a presentation on CR for SNIC & NAIS Nov 28 - Python course - Next week, Richard is handling final preparations, not much more to report. ## 2022-10-31 - RB will probably be late for the meeting, sorry - RBs goals for this week: - fix the really wrong stuff on the website (Sept workshop is still "upcoming") -> started here: https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/pull/713 - disband fianlly "notify-me" and the unused mailing list - send a newsletter - publish the participation numbers - write/complete a lessons-learned from workshop - RD thoughts on registration: - One form - Checkboxes for different options: - "You may pass my contact information on to a local organizer at my institution, if one becomes a partner of this workshop" - "I would be interested in joining a Zoom exercise session, if you offer one" - "I am a part of a team. Team name: _____" (but we don't provide any special team services, it is up to them to self-organize). - "Please create a Zoom breakout room for my team." - In case of problems, we expect that the users can go to indico themselves (with the management URL) and update their own information. We don't update information for them. - RD: this week's blog: https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/pull/712 - Should we merge [this blogpost](https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/pull/705) now? Here a [tweet suggestion draft](https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery-twitter/blob/blogpost/tweets/2022/09/future_teaching.tweet) - could then also be mentioned in newsletter? - RB will take care of merging, tweeting and also adding it to newsletter draft, also will ping SS - Participant data stuff going on in https://github.com/coderefinery/workshop-stats - ## 2022-10-24 - The future of CR HackMD -> https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/316508-tools-workshop/topic/hackMD - CSC looking at hackmd - having private documents is not critical - are non-profit plans and the big plan they offered the same thing? - we don't need more than 20 seats (if seat means being document "owner") - but we need 300+ document editors at the same time during workshop (the editors don't need to be in our organization and won't all have accounts) - https://hackmd.io/c/tutorials/%2F%40docs%2FNPOplan - Consolidation of mailing/announcements/newsletter into one - https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/pull/707 (merged) - RB will write to notify-me and then delete it (I will test it though by registering so that I test it as recipient), same for coderefinery-announce@neic.no - RB will draft a short newsletter to be sent to tinyletter - topics: - retrospective from workshops - upcoming workshop - python scicomp - funding window - latest blogs - EuSSI training bazaar - EuSSI training bazaar - European Software Sustainability Infrastructure (EuSSI) - eussi.org - Nov 21 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/eussi-training-bazaar-tickets-440454480207 - One future Monday meeting: Twitter-together? - Enrico: I have an overlapping meeting, I could anyway write some "documentation" about my strategies - but good idea to use community call slot also - Monday after: community call. topics? - let's work on twitter together - RB will present at DeiC conference - Post-meeting: blog post on hackmd and changing teaching - https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/pull/710 - RD: my thoughts are that it is too long ## 2022-10-17 - collecting viewer and registration stats for last workshop - newsletter - RB will disband coderefinery-announce@neic.no and notify-me indico form: remove them from the website, write to all subscribers there and inform about tinyletter - then send newsletter to tinyletter - topics for newsletter - Nordic RSE unconf (if I am quick enough) - retrospective from workshops - upcoming workshop - python scicomp - funding window - latest blogs - RD: started a blog post, we can take a look - as discussed in chat, trying to make content for newsletters - https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/pull/705 - Nordic RSE unconference starting tomorrow - just to make sure people know it exists - only 20 registered - https://nordic-rse.org/events/2022-online-unconference/ - instructor training: EuroCC version will be postponed until early 2023 because of final reporting deadlines and public holidays in many countries on Dec 6 & 8 - EuSSI training bazaar Nov 21 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/eussi-training-bazaar-tickets-440454480207 - it overlaps with CR team meeting so maybe a good reason to participate :) - RB will give a talk about CodeRefinery at DeiC conference next week - NeIC all-hands meeting workshop planning - https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/neic-ahm-2023 - early stage planning - contributions welcome - we have been asked to contribute but are not the actual organizers - RD: I could submit something about livestreaming (assuming I can make it there...) - we want to make this one remote-friendly also (not sure the rest of AHM can be but this one) ## 2022-10-10 - HackMD alternatives or paid plan? - see https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/316508-tools-workshop/topic/hackMDHackMD - Is there a problem in lightweight usage, like these meeting notes? - It seems not anymore :) - we can continue using notes.coderefinery.org for the moment, hosted on a best-effort basis - RB and SW will explore payment/invoice options for hackmd or whether we could be part of non-profit free plan - To-Do list updated: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/CR_TO-DO - Maybe create/link Zulip channel/topic for items in the todo-list -> to make discussion / asking help more organised and low-threshold - RD: Python for SciComp is one of my main topics for the next month or so - No other action is needed by others right now, but... - Anyone want to advertise it, co-teach in it, or use it to practice other coderefinery topics? ## 2022-10-03 - Was actually a community call - Notes in https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/community-call ## 2022-09-26 - Discussion about tracking sphinx lesson viewing - Could that be used without cookies or in any way preserving privacy - https://plausible.io - Matomo? #### Workshop formats (chat/brainstorm) - Can / should we re-do the 3days intensive workshop? Maybe nobody is coming if videos and materials are so good already? - Intensive workshop as part of a research group "retreat" activities? (summer/winter schools etc) - Every week, once a week for 10 weeks, some part of the workshop? - Platform / mooc: pre-recorded high quality videos? - We could also look at alternative forms, e.g. fewer hours for more days, or once a week for many weeks. - Polished videos > These are now linked in [Planning HackMD Lessons Learned](https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/2022-sep-ws-planning#Lessons-learned) -MJ #### 2022-09-26-lunch-schedule - Can we do anything to the fact that people are really hungry in EEST timezone (don't know about others) before the workshop ends? - [FR from JYU was kind enough to bring this up](https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/316508-tools-workshop/topic/JYU.20in-person/near/299935223) - Week 2: How about we offer a joint exercise session+break (=1/2 hours) around 12 EEST and say people can go to eat and then do the ecercise after the stream ends. the exercise zoom can stay open. - As SW suggested in Zulip: ``` I'd not directly announce lunchtime options, to decrease information clutter; people will find out and decide for themselves if they need to. At least in our room they decided themselves and at different times to do lunch based on schedule and what instructors told what will be done after break. ``` - Basically teams can decide themselves how to use time (for time being at least) - A lot of lessons week 2 will have longer exercise sessions which could be good for lunch (but they might not be at the right times) - We will return to the schedule later on. ## 2022-09-19 - workshop starts tomorrow - exercise group instructions - will be shared as slide in exercise zoom main room - In stream, HackMD will be shared with learner instructions - detailed schedules needed in [coordination hackmd](https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/2022-sep-ws-planning) - especially exercises - we should save these closer to the lesson - into instructor guide - what did we forget? everybody knows where to go? - ice breaker - thoughts for after workshop - has this become too big for us? (not for our capabilities but for our available time) - is this still fun? - huge workshops can involve many people but possibly also scare contributors/staff away with too much coordination, too many messages? - after the workshop - document knowledge - spend time on summarizing lessons learned - simplify and automate ## 2022-09-12 - [CodeRefinery master TO-DO list](https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/CR_TO-DO) - we need to tie it to some process (e.g. team meetings) otherwise it becomes one more forgotten list - however: risk is that team meetings reduce to browsing todo lists and only those who come to meetings take tasks - Whether and how we provide/organize Zoom rooms for solo learners during workshop - label them restricted-team-1 and open-room-something (suggestion on chat) - Try to get expert helpers dedicated to be present in the learner zoom - Have extra rooms for self-organising teams - 2 rooms with help (exercise lead and expert helpers). more rooms for 1-1. - after day 1 we ask how to adjust this and recommend to also form own teams - persons can ask for technical help also by unmuting in zoom - Twitter outreach - CarpentryCon video published? - We need to list the event on past events for reporting - We need to archive the hackmd from the event and make it somehow visible - Blog post about kick-off notes so that they don't get lost? - Should be in master todo already (MJ) - We currently need ## 2022-08-29 - Suggestion: use `tags: CodeRefinery` in every (or most official) Code Refinery HackMD - Needs those `---` above and below - +1 - Workshop planning - Lessons are distributed: https://coderefinery.github.io/2022-09-20-workshop/ - But still few TBA - RD may have one more co-teacher - Planning HackMD: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/2022-sep-ws-planning - Lots to do. If you can help, please take tasks - Everybody involved please register - Team registrations solve some problems but create others: - Many people register now in the wrong form which requires back and forth emailing - (RD: I was wondering a bit ago, should it either be "different forms for everyone" or "one form for everyone", but avoid middle ground?) - RD will work on co-instructor onboarding eventually: https://coderefinery.github.io/manuals/instructors/ - Kick-off this week - Steering-group meeting this week - Agenda: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Iz0mI7Z3Nxz3QqTiGBM1v_GvHNohcROJXJZMpJw21v8/ - Main message: expectations need to be adjusted to the existing committment ## 2022-08-15 - Sept workshop - there is now an onboarding registration page - RB needs to email affected persons/teams still - lesson distribution - Website work - RB is working on it: better and clearer communicating what we do and what we would like to do and where we can use help - technical detail: switching from bootstrap to UIkit for better CSS control over Markdown text and better readability options (RB made good experience with this in other projects/websites) - if you are interested in website work, please ask - main problems with current website - difficult to read (lots of text) - does not sufficiently credit organizations and people contributing - does not simplify on-boarding - reporting is good but still can be improved - suggestion was raised to add a forum (such as discourse) - More flexible and open communication - Everybody can read, without any log in or account - Maybe we can discuss it in the kickoff and also have a hackathon for brainstorming - Public forums are a good way to increase visibility of the organization on search engines - Creates a two-way communication and a way for anyone to post new suggestions, ideas or prolbems in an asynchronic and public way - https://www.discourse.org/pricing it states the educational institutions get 85% discount, but it could also be implemented for free on self-hosted servers. - Kick-off meeting - Please shape agenda and contribute: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/kickoff2022 - Find something that interests you and contribute - Open issues - Comment on issues - Take issues - Review pull requests - Create pull requests ## 2022-08-08 - Sept workshop - Onboarding for ELs: should we create a separate registration? How will ELs be informed about connection details? Cal invite? Via team contacts? - let's create a separate form - bonus: they can get cal invite - Lesson distribution: please see chat #tools-workshop and take lesson(s) that you would like to co-teach - RB will send email to coderefinery-team - Maybe send tweet - Reach out to earlier exercise leads - Status of Uppsala get-together? - Focus for August - prepare for kick-off: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/kickoff2022 - read and suggest agenda points - add yourself if you plan to come - should we advertize this to the community? how? - lesson issues - website issues https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/issues - publish what help we need (blog post? webpage?) - Workflow course - brainstorm with us: https://hackmd.io/NXYIOGliRRWSPTQRa-RN5A - ENCCS planning half-day instructor training in early Oct. Will base it on https://github.com/coderefinery/instructor-training - also this material could be interesting: https://github.com/coderefinery/community-teaching (the latter evolved from the "instructor-training" repo and focuses more on online training and less on CR lessons and CR lesson development) ## 2022-08-01 - Some notes in Community call memo: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/community-call ## 2022-07-25 - Q&A - CarpentryCon - https://2022.carpentrycon.org/ - Planning document: https://hackmd.io/_SEIqrzfS52SSIwe7fSMeQ - SNIC/ENCCS registration - https://enccs.se/events/20-6-2022-coderefinery/ - Community call next week - Website needs update about next community call. RB will take care of it. - Topic ideas? - RSH session? ## 2022-07-18 - Q&A - CarpentryCon ## 2022-07-11 - Kick-off agenda and practical details: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/kickoff2022 - Please suggest agenda items/modifications - Team registration page modified - Problem was that in Indico one cannot register with same email twice but sometimes same contact represents multiple teams - Community teaching workshop is archived on "past events": https://coderefinery.org/workshops/past/ - Things to work on over summer for those who have time and are not vacationing: - Website issues: https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org/issues - Newsletter - Twitter campaign - Reviewing pull requests (please make sure you are getting notifications, summary: https://github.com/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+user%3Acoderefinery) ## 2022-06-27 - Community teaching workshop debriefing - what to improve/change for next time? - Focus on online teaching tools and collaborative teaching and sharing - Less about lesson development - How to cater to different styles of attending - when to run next event? - Aug 3: CarpentryCon - We need to submit this confirmation sometime. - RD: I guess I can submit it and say "TBD" for the things we don't know yet? - Sept workshop - Registration: https://indico.neic.no/event/226/ - In principle ready but it would be great if you could check both individual and team form for inconsistencies/confusion - All previous test registrations have been wiped and all new test registrations will be wiped so don't hesitate to test - Workshop page: https://coderefinery.github.io/2022-09-20-workshop/ - RB will send small tweaks to clarify what we expect from organizations who might provide own form. The info is all there but just to make it clearer and easier to see and find. - Community call next week, agenda: - Sept workshop - Kick-off meeting Sep 1-2 - Who will prepare agenda and lead? RB can but happy to let somebody else do it - Kick-off meeting Sep 1-2 - Please request agenda points that you would like to have - 1 hour steering group meeting before start of the actual event - NeIC requested two agenda points: opening address and a session about NeIC benefits to staff - RD: I'm not making any particular arrangements for food. I assume we will go upstairs to find it, or to a nearby restaurant. ## 2022-06-20 - teaching workshop - https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/community-teaching-2022-summer - how you can help: - announce june 21 workshop - Where? - contribute with co-teaching - contribute to panel discussion - sept workshop page and registration - GitHub link: https://github.com/coderefinery/2022-09-20-workshop/ - MJ is editing the How to Join -section - Partner registrations - should decide whether to use separate event pages? - [JYU-case](https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/215460-coderefinery/topic/Syndication.20of.20full.20workshop.20.40JYU/near/285492297) can act as pilot - How you can help: - announce sept workshop - Where? - pick up issues from - https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org - https://github.com/coderefinery/2022-09-20-workshop/issues ## 2022-06-13 - kick-off - Aalto university campus (Helsinki) - Thu Sep 1, 12 EEST - Fri Sep 2, 14 EEST (start with lunch, end with lunch) - visible in community calendar - RB will send also information email later today to coderefinery-team@neic.no and coderefinery-sg@neic.no - any questions about travel planning? - CR-funded, you can go ahead and book your flights (or boat) and all - You book travel and accommodation like normal with your employer, and then the employer sends the invoice to NeIC. - lunch-to-lunch - Accommodation: one night needed, Aalto people will give some recommendations - we can also share hotel recommendations and those who book first, can share their reservation so that we co-locate - If for travel practicalities you need more nights, that is fine too. - We can arrange some activities the other nights, too. - How should we coordinate/what should the website be? HackMD? - HackMD, which we can later "solidify" into a website and blog - Here: https://hackmd.io/qiF-KaSEQ-2sTHvi8keusw - Program - Especially focus on sustainability and what happens after NeIC - Also discuss dedicated workshops - Make sure we invite relevant persons and collaborators and stakeholders - online teaching workshop june 21 - registration is open: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/community-teaching-2022-summer - you can participate as participant - but also helpers/contributors most welcome - material: https://github.com/coderefinery/community-teaching - you can help with - Issues and pull requests - Reading it and pointing out problems - Taking one of the four main sections and preparing/co-teaching it - livestream discussion part - zoom interactive part and exercises (especially "how to make it exciting and interactive" or how to make useful demos) - sept workshop page and registration - we need to generate from https://github.com/coderefinery/template-workshop-webpage - you can help with registration form and the workshop page - finish registration form based on chat suggestions and blog post - MJ wants to collab - fork workshop page from workshop template and adapt it - MJ wants to collab - announce sept workshop - announce june 21 workshop - pick up issues from https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery.org - Steering-group meeting June 16 - agenda: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rrPeVhbUJm5fCpjACkzNH0imjtheaEDU3UgWHc4k40Y/ - Sustainability phase - What is the status of the discussion ## 2022-06-06 This Monday was a holiday in many countries. No meeting held. The suggested agenda points shifted over to 2022-06-13. ## 2022-05-30 RB cannot participate this time and unsure whether anybody has time because of NeIC conference at the same time. Anyway, here are topics that can be discussed: - kick-off - probably Aalto campus (Helsinki) - most promising days seem to be Sep 1-2 (Thu-Fri) - RB will add to community calendar - Sep 1, 12 EEST - Sep 2, 14 EEST (start with lunch, end with lunch) - online teaching workshop june 21 - registration is open: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/community-teaching-2022-summer - you can participate as participant - but also helpers/contributors most welcome - material: https://github.com/coderefinery/community-teaching - you can help with issues and pull requests - sept workshop page and registration - we need to generate from https://github.com/coderefinery/template-workshop-webpage - you can help with registration form and the workshop page ## 2022-05-23 - Kick-off event poll: https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/ejR1JgRe/vote - please vote if you haven't so that we can fix dates - we look for 2 consecutive days - tentatively Aalto (unconfirmed) or Oslo - Aalto is very likely possible - RB: I should have added an option "interested in this but none of these days work" - Lightning talk for ISC (BoF: https://app.swapcard.com/widget/event/isc-high-performance-2022/planning/UGxhbm5pbmdfODYxMTgx) - SW will present CodeRefinery project and can use input - how can we better support organizations/observers/teams? - clearer info on website - even better explain on workshop template (see also point below) - online teaching (co-teaching and streaming) - 3 min presentation - New registration form - please test: https://indico.neic.no/event/226/ - but also we need to implement some changes from https://coderefinery.org/blog/2022/05/18/measuring-impact/ - individual registration: make clearer that they will have chance to work in groups - Maybe provide a template for group contant persons where they can collect the info that we want to get - How you can help (the most burning things in terms of project) - workshop registration form: https://indico.neic.no/event/226/ - integrate some questions from pre-workshop survey (see blog post on impact) - workshop page template: https://github.com/coderefinery/template-workshop-webpage - clarify that group registrations are possible - clarify how groups and individuals and organizations can participate ## 2022-05-16 - Redesigning workshop registration ([Blog post](https://coderefinery.org/blog/2022/05/04/improving-workshop-registration/)) - Please **test** register and tell us how we can improve the forms: https://indico.neic.no/event/226/ - all test data will be wiped before we later this month open and announce it "for real" - PDC course on the UppASD program, Oct 11-13 2022. - DI interested to help out - How to measure impact. This Wednesday: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/hackathon-measure-impact - Kick-off event poll: https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/ejR1JgRe/vote - Idea that came up last week inspired by ENCCS: should we schedule a few-day online (?) hackathon where we focus on lesson development - MJ: :thumbsup:, DI: great idea. - JH: one idea for an activity within CR: consulting on best practices on programming - Ideas for future courses - parallelization course (not only MPI and OMP) - containerization - combining different languages ## 2022-05-09 - Redesigning workshop registration - MJ and RB make a start - based on https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/hackathon-workshop-registration - also DI working on a blog post - ISC 2022 BoF session "Software Engineering and Reuse in Modeling, Simulation, and Data Analytics for Science and Engineering" - https://app.swapcard.com/widget/event/isc-high-performance-2022/planning/UGxhbm5pbmdfODYxMTgx - 3 min lightning talk - SW will present the project - please give input here or on chat for the 2-3 slides - needs backwards design of content - Measuring Impact of CodeRefinery Workshops Online Hackathon - next week - RB invited JT from NeIC who specializes on impact to participate in discussion - https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/hackathon-measure-impact - Ideas: - also number of views of the lessons themselves and youtube channel - don't forget to also to discuss the post-workshop survey, it's not "only" about statistics - ask right after workshop with some incentive and 3-6 months later without incentive - Concrete suggestion on how you can help the project - Preparation for the instructor training half-day - Carpentries membership - RB will contact Carpentries to renew the membership - we will then need to add something on our web - good advertisement venue is probably the monthly Nordic/Baltics community call - ENCCS is planning "ENCCS/CodeRefinery Sustainable software practices" in December - ENCCS also planning lesson development/improvement hackathon on August 22-24 in Stockholm (focused on [these lessons](https://enccs.se/training-resources/)) - also in CR it would be nice to reserve 3 half-days/days this year to work on lessons and instructor guides with enough distance to next workshop ## 2022-04-25 - Github organization membership - What does it mean to be part of the GitHub coderefinery organization? - When should someone be invited to it? - How can we make sure it reflects something useful? - Right now it has only three owners - TODO: Richard will try to make a PR or chat thread about these membership topics. - General idea: someone who has been contributing over ~6 months should be invited to list their name somewhere (Github or other) - or they should request to be invited. - Online Hackathon about Workshop Registration, 1/2 day event - [x] all: please add your availability at https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/215460-coderefinery/topic/online.20hackathon.20about.20workshop.20registration/near/278695778 - Would it be possible to pick up a date during the meeting? Up to now, April 28 morning, May 2 and May 3 afternoons seem to be the best options. - DECISION: May 3 afternoon (ideally not starting at 13:00 exactly, but a bit later like 13:15) - RB will send email to coderefinery-team@neic.no - DI adds the event to the calendar - HackMD: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/hackathon-workshop-registration Feel free to add your suggestions or comments, even if you cannot participate. - Resuming work on citable lessons - https://coderefinery.org/blog/2021/11/21/towards-citable-lessons/ - Online Hackathon about Measuring the Impact of CodeRefinery Workshops, full day event - [x] all: please add your availablity at https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/215460-coderefinery/topic/online.20hackathon.20about.20measuring.20impact/near/280035304 - It's OK if you cannot participate during the entire day. - HackMD: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/hackathon-measure-impact Feel free to add your suggestions or comments, especially if you cannot participate. - DECISION: 18.may, starting in morning (1h discussion, 9 CEST), then working throughout the day. - Next community call already next week, May 2, 14:00 CEST - topic of the event? - brainstorm with bigger audience about measuring impact and improving registration process - who would like to lead the discussion? - RD - who advertises it on Zulip, Twitter, via email? - RB together with MJ - Aalto Python for Scientific Computing 2022 - are the dates set? if not, it would be good to do so as autumn is getting busy - Kick-off event - when? - August or early Sept? - DI makes poll for a 2-day on-site event on Zulip - Dates to avoid: - CR workshop: September 20-22 and 27-29 (last two weeks of Sept) - RSEcon - 6-8 September ## 2022-04-11 - List of things that new people can be introduced to (and what else is related to 'joining')? - Github organization membership - Zulip chat - Which streams are relevant? - `codeRefinery`: - `workshop-chat`: - `tools-workshop`: - `announce`: - `general`: - `help`: - Email lists - HackMD membership - Online Hackathon about September registration - To decide how to organize the registration - How to organise teams - Agree on a date (Zulip vote/poll?) - Online Hackathon on measuring impact - Measure impact of our workshops - [x] Diana makes Zulip polls for the two online hackathons - how-to: https://zulip.com/help/create-a-poll - 19 and 20 May kick-off event for 3rd phase and welcoming new people will go ahead in +-August instead. - A new poll on dates is needed - No meeting on Monday, April 18, due to Easter Monday in some countries ## 2022-03-28 - Changed community call dates: now first Monday of each month - In-person kickoff - Confirm room reservations at Otaniemi, - ~~16-17.may (M-T)~~ simply not possible for anyone from Norway. - 19-20.may (Th-F) - RB will send email to find out whether those who haven't voted would prefer not to travel or a different time or haven't missed the question - CodeRefinery community meeting - Twitter PR: RB will send - RB: email exercise leads and invite for feedback round - RB can't lead the meeting, needs to attend a different seminar at the same time - Twitter strategy - In general more tweets are always good - RB can share Twitter password if anyone can benefit by direct tweeting - Video on twitter-together to show how to do it more easily? - RD: we should add the hashtag to the workshop webpage, what is it? #CodeRefinery22 ? (#coderefinery22 recommended on day 1 workshop hackmd) - RD: can we send incoming tweets to zulip (monitoring + relay): https://zulip.com/integrations/doc/twitter - If you want to tweet about this workshop, use #CodeRefinery22. If you want to go even further, do you remember how CodeRefinery uses a Git repository to tweet? Want to practice using pull requests and see how it works? If so, go to the https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery-twitter, follow the instructions to create a tweet. Start the tweet with "Learner feedback from the workshop: [whatever you think]". We will review and merge. """ - Workshop: any thoughts? - RD: I would be interested to see more of "one person talking, other person typing" - Invite advanced learners to be the "typer" on some lessons? (probably not now but can be done later) - Next times: better organize the registration (team registration only? individual?) - More in-person breakout rooms - Instructor trainings in the future - Half day? - Not enough time to go over all lessons, but the half-day version would be a much broader overview - Is it about "teaching coderefinery lessons"? - https://coderefinery.org/community-teaching/ - Another target to technical staff who have to do teaching as part of their work, but it isn't their main goal. ## 2022-03-21 - Any issues wrt workshop and instructing? - breaks? if we can, 3 breaks better than 2 - during exercise sessions instructors are muted and we by default do not demonstrate during exercise sessions; exception: git-collaborative lesson where we collaborate and we may need to talk during exercise but here advice zoom groups to mute twitch and to not forget to unmute - In-person team meeting - - Workshop video testing ## 2022-03-14 - Workshop preparation - Zoom priority: https://coderefinery.org/2022-03-22-workshop/join/#price-and-zoom-priority-policy - Planning document: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/2022-march-planning - How you can help: - Twitter pull requests - Testing install instructions and environment - Communication templates - Participate in install help session - Update https://github.com/coderefinery/workshop-intro - How to help - **Test the software installation** and practice your whole lesson using what you have installed. - Exercise list: how should it be done now? - used to be a HackMD - now there is this exerciselist directive that can be added to each lesson - Each exercise should be clearly labeled: - `(optional)` in title of optional exercises. - `(optional)` in title of each optional episode. - help requested: The "sample episode" can be updated to current best practices as a model: https://coderefinery.org/sphinx-lesson/sample-episode-rst/ - How can we make big workshops easier to handle in the futrue? - Close Zoom registration a bit sooner, so that we can have a fixed registration. - "staff registration" was unclear - streamline communication: decentarlize registration? - Teams can register as a team (so team deals with their internal matters) - After things are calmed down, go back and revisit *all* of the registration stuff (re-think from first principles). - Common question: "will workshops continue to be offered online?" - Likely so, probably something like "big ones online, small ones may be in-person" - Discussion of various ways to combine online and in-person - If small, specialised workshops are done in-person, do people outside of big cities have access to them? - - Mailing lists - RB: in progress but not created yet - More people joining CR - Soon more information but RB had encouraging discussions with new colleagues from DK and from CSC ## 2022-03-07 - Workshop status - So much work, so much chaos! - Installation instructions - Instructor meetings: emphasize that this is different (broadcast), installation instructions need to be done soon, exercies list, ... - left to coordinate: git intro (this afternoon), reproducibility, testing, social coding, jupyter - RB will take the pre-workshop communication - Teams where no EL can be found should assign their EL and send them to the onboarding - EL intro video - this is cool, main focus in making people feel excited - it's OK to say "I dont' know" - If you know an answer, but it's an important question, you can put in in hackmd anyway - Workshop intro - Emphasize the twitch aspect - ELs are leaders, not experts. that is OK. - Calendar status - Would like to get this advertised - Need to settle on - Remove "example" - Rename "teaching" to "workshops" - Link to it from the CR website - Tweet about it: both CR calendar and git-calendar - NeIC project status - Going on in background, from NeIC perspective it started on 1. march - On-boarding for new staff - Introducing them to how we work: chat, meetings, etc. - Define expectations for staff: what to do, what meetings to do, ... - Future community building events? - Kick-off in-person meeting, lunch to lunch. NeIC will want to attach the steering group meeting to it. What is SG prefers to join online? - Spring/summer. Perhaps W-Th. Location: Stockholm, Helsinki, or Oslo (to be most central) - DECISION: May. - +online community event - 110 kNOK / year - Starting with 2-3 hours online to be open to potential new partners, followed by in-person meeting - Agenda - Meet each other - Motivate the value we get out of it - How it works in practice: practicalities - Business model (why would a partner join?: https://coderefinery.org/organization/partners/) - Governance structure - Sustainability - How we teach online: the future of teaching - Hybrid format: everybody can contribute to agenda but there is an online call before and one (week) after with results - NeIC conference - is there anything we can prepare? - Satellite event there? - Privacy policy - re-ping - governance PR - https://github.com/coderefinery/manuals/pull/186 - No action needed now, but this tries to describe the situation - DECISION: merge and iterate ## 2022-02-28 - community call ## 2022-02-21 - Project plan draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1re8kPSRsEoeuFkM-twNAhy2255JV-NxOj4HJIB3NUKo/ - NeIC needs it to "start" but we are basically going anyway. - Steering group will probably accept it regardless, the bigger question is "are there any WPs that need to be there that aren't" - decision: - make it clear what sections need to be looked at (WPs, anything missing?) - advertise that on chat for everyone to look at? - Consolidating strategy into one document, one "source of truth" - RD: shall we discuss how it can be represnted on website? I have sometimes wanted to add a thought, but am not sure where to. - How to measure impact - Privacy policy and how to be able to involve more people in Indico - RD: agreed this is very important - RD: shall we invite EG to draft one that would work for us? - Decision: ask EG to draft one and make clear internal instructions for how we should hadnle registrations internally - Recurrent topic: mailing list for team/community/events? Mainly for advertising/informing. Not for discussing (for this we have chat). Maybe less needed now that we have the web calendar (which we need to consolidate and advertise)? - RD: git-calendar: https://coderefinery.github.io/calendar/ - Follow-up: - document on coderefinery.org: - make it show up on the website also - how to add something to the calendar - how to connect o365 or google calendar to the generated feed - Call for help: present the ICS file into something that appears on the website in a nice format (coderefinery.org / the github pages site). - Workshop planning: https://hackmd.io/@coderefinery/2022-march-planning - Needs continuous work in the next month - RD: I think we need to be very clear about the collaboration/decentralized model, so that others can take part. This relates to some of my "how to get involved" I had said before - "Subscribe teams together": colud we suggest "one person subscribes 'livestream only', form your own team zoom room?" - for reporting purposes we ask stream-only viewers to register somewhere during the event - where do we precise the above? - Please help reviewing https://github.com/coderefinery/coderefinery-twitter/pulls - We *do* try to provide team formation for this workshop (website is already written that way, plus it's a bit late). In the future we can see about decentralized registration more. - Instructor training - RD: I tried to re-work the insturctor training outline: https://hackmd.io/ICAnJsXYRuShUrKSH7NDag?edit - Instructor training could be a hook to a much broader audience - Any thoughts? - yes, very relevant, needs improvement - this new outline is good. - "breaking the build" is OK.