# EESSI test suite sync meetings ## Planning - every 2 weeks on Thursday at 14:00 CE(S)T - next meetings: - Thu 27 June 14:00 CEST (excused: Sam) --- ## Meeting (2024-06-13) Attending: Samuel Moors, Satish Kamath, Caspar van Leeuwen - Next step / 0.3.0 [milestone](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/milestone/4), what do we want in here? - For sure: - Request memory hook [merged] - ESPResSo [merged] - QE [merged] - Update docs: - new tag names - cover new tests in the docs - add small section on debugging if a test doesn't succeed - Where to find the full logs - How to run manually - Satish will go through the docs - Do release on PyPI - Apply memory limits using memory hook for _all_ tests - Caspar will go through the tests and update them where needed - Optionally: - PyTorch are _probably_ close enough to being done (PyTorch depends on if things work on other systems...) - LAMMPS/CP2K? - Other features we really 'need'? - start fleshing out structure for "Best practices" part in test suite docs on writing tests - Caspar started with an mpi4py-based all-reduce. It's easy to sanity check. - OpenFOAM test - Satish has a test that works, but no ReFrame test - Merged PRs - ESPResSo test [#144](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/144) - Now includes P3M test - One caveat: this test scales very badly, and takes _very_ long on high core counts - Satish is working on adding lj - QuantumESPRESSO [#128](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/128) - Open PRs - Use MiB per node as unit [#152](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/152) - Caspar will review today - PyTorch [#130](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/130) - Sam is reviewing it - Caspar will sync with main - CP2K [#133](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/133) - Now depends on [#152](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/152) - Only need to update the memory unit in this PR - Ready to be reviewed - LAMMPS [#131](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/131) - "Check with Tilen if we can implement a sanity check that checks scientific correctness of the result" <= Does this still need to be done? => Lara wasn't present, we don't know :) - Will use a hook from [#133](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/133), so that needs to be merged first. ## Meeting (2024-05-23) Attending: Kenneth Hoste, Samuel Moors, Lara Peeters, Xin An, Caspar van Leeuwen - start fleshing out structure for "Best practices" part in test suite docs on writing tests - Had a discussion on this during the meeting, updated https://hackmd.io/mFovCXgSSDmF_Aybt47DOg - Key decision: create API documentation first (auto-generated). Then, create a tutorial that shows how to write a portable mpi4py based "hello world" - OpenFOAM test - Are we dropping this (for now)? (i.e. prioritize other tests) If so, should we at least make a PR of what's there, or isn't there anything yet? - Ask Satish in the next meeting (maybe make a PR and close it, even if unfinished) - Problems with TensorFlow test during demo at EUM'24 - What were the problems? :) => Mixup by Kenneth with his own module env, not a problem of the test suite - Open PRs - ESPResSo test [#144](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/144) - Review from Jean-Noel. Does this cover the questions from the previous meeting? - What else is needed to complete this PR? - Xin met with Satish, some sytax polishing is needed. Xin tested, but it failed in sanity step. - Kenneth: there is a tarball that needs to be cleaned up - Lara will test it on Hortense - LAMMPS [#131](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/131) - "Check with Tilen if we can implement a sanity check that checks scientific correctness of the result" <= Does this still need to be done? => Yes, still needs to be done - Will use a hook from [#133](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/133), so that needs to be merged first. - QuantumESPRESSO [#128](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/128) - Caspar: implemented a hook to request memory from the scheduler in [this pr](https://github.com/Crivella/test-suite/pull/1). Supports SLURM (tested) and PBS (untested). Should be easily reusible in other tests. - Only thing needed from @crivella is to call the hook with the correct memory requirement for these QE test cases. Right now, I requested 4 GB + 0.9 GB/task, which seems to be enough for the largest use case. But can probably be tightened, at least for the smaller use cases. (no big deal: most people have this amount of memory anyway) - CP2K [#133](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/133) - Tested by Lara, some failures, probably because of OOM => could use [this PR](https://github.com/Crivella/test-suite/pull/1) - Time limit should be increased for the largest test case / smallest core count - Should we seperate out the generic part of [this PR](https://github.com/Crivella/test-suite/pull/1) so it can be used in the CP2K PR already? - PyTorch [#130](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/pull/130) - Ready for review => Sam will look at it - Requires a local `torchvision` or `PyTorch-bundle` module, as this is not in EESSI yet (WIP, [this pr](https://github.com/EESSI/software-layer/pull/585)) - We should switch CI workflow to use `software.eessi.io` - https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/issues/107 - Kenneth? - OSU collectives - Sam will give them another test, because they were merged without testing - Next step / 0.3.0 [milestone](https://github.com/EESSI/test-suite/milestone/4), what do we want in here? - For sure: - Request memory hook, from [this PR](https://github.com/Crivella/test-suite/pull/1) - ESPResSo - Update docs: - new tag names - cover new tests in the docs - Do release on PyPI - Apply memory limits using memory hook for _all_ tests - Optionally: - QE - PyTorch are _probably_ close enough to being done (PyTorch depends on if things work on other systems...) - LAMMPS/CP2K? - Other features we really 'need'? ------- ## Previous meetings - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-05-03) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-04-18) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-03-28) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-03-14) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-02-29) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-02-15) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-02-01) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2024-01-18) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-12-06) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-11-22) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-11-08) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-10-19) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-10-04) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-09-20) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-09-06) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-08-25) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-08-09) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-software-testing-(27%E2%80%9007%E2%80%902023) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-06-28) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-06-15) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-05-31) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-05-17) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-04-20) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-03-30) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-03-10) (incl. 2023-02-23) - https://github.com/EESSI/meetings/wiki/Sync-meeting-on-EESSI-test-suite-(2023-02-09)