# Fedora Community Outreach Revamp Co-Lead Meeting Minutes
## Quick Links:
TTF meeting notes: https://hackmd.io/pdlYb6UgQC2Chys2UfRVfw?edit
Fedora Council Objective Discussion: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-objective-proposal-community-outreach-revamp/25928
Intern Proposal: https://pagure.io/mentored-projects/issue/96
Survey Analysis Notes: https://hackmd.io/VyjiazC5RC6kKEmMRxfqnA
Role Handbook Notes: https://hackmd.io/FhGUc9IKTW27w0O_Yg49xg?view
## YouTube Videos:
## Blog Posts:
## Press Coverage
## Presentations & talks
### Fedora 33 Release Party
### [Fedora Council Video Call](https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Council/Video_Meetings)
Our session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h92bYokpno&feature=youtu.be
Our session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brkVXBICy5E
#### Applied to the following:
F34 Release Party - April 30 - May 1st - Invited
Linux App Summit 2021 - May 13-15 - Not Accepted
Community Central - June 17
GUADEC - July 21-25
## Meeting Notes
### Meeting April 15th
Would this be suitable for Commops to incorporate into the revamp:
All things open Cfp open
### Meeting April 8th
- To Do: Marie to open ticket on Mindshare:
Linux App Summit
- Are we accepted? we see a schedule, that we are not on, but did not receive an email
- Mariana applied
Blog post update
- Sumantro to write
- retired trello board
- presented at devconf
- we have applied to conferences to speak
- community survey summary happened
- in touch with council, we are on the org chart
- we are working with council on community survey
- now we are working on role handbooks
Organize conference submissions
- Mariana to work on that
Design internship tasks
- Cheat cubes
- Manual, it gives you info to do one specific task
- Cheat sheet
- We want to add instructions to request new cheat cube in CommOps docs
- Ideas for cheat cubes:
- Re-do of the current one
- How to Join Fedora
- Connecting with Fedora Join
- Just for fun
- CommOps themed
- Overview of what each team does
## Meeting April 1st
- Mariana applied
- July 21st-25th
- Same preso!
Outreachy Intern Tasks Ideas
- Infographic for the CommOps team Structure
- simple graphic showing commops team structure, each team and what they do
- Infographic for Fedora Organizational Chart
- Marie started this- making updates and then will open a ticket
- Updated logos for each team with new Fedora logo
- Wait to open this ticket until intern is chosen
- Sticker sheet for Commops
- characters for role handbooks/other assets
- Fedora bandana art
- Cheat cube - foldable cubes
- these are popular, people in Fedora really like them
- Join SIG cube
- Panda & badger
- Badges theme
- Community is active around cheat cubes(translations)
- Manual, it gives you info to do one specific task
- Cheat sheet
- Mariana to apply
- We want to get community feedback. Once the draft is complete, we will put it in a hackmd and write up a blogpost for the commblog. 2 weeks for feedback, add in feedback. two weeks more for feedback, add in, then the handbooks will be complete.
## Meeting March 25th
- Contribution period starting
- June 17th, one hour
- Speak for 15-30 minutes, the rest is Q&A
- Need to improve presentation, practice speaking etc
Fedora Linux 34 Release Party
- April 30th, Friday, shorter
- Sync up week before on updates
- Mariana to apply
- Sumantro retired!
Survey Analysis Blog post
- Sumantro is submitting today
- So, we have been phrasing role handbooks as "How new contributors get started with outreach teams" and "the representation of a tight-knit identity of each of the teams and how they work in unison with all of the project"
- Commops team used to look at numbers/analytics/helping with community things, could even be code
- "Community operations"
- Overarching group to help the variety of outreach teams work cohesively.
- For the design intern:
- infographic for commops teams
- Infographic showing Fedora entire map
- Sumantro to move things to the Google Doc for role handbooks and start organizing
## Meeting March 16th
Linux App Summit
- Submitted (40 minute slots)
- May 13th-15th
- Ask Neal if this makes sense - YES it does
- CfP deadline: May 4th
- Mariana to apply
- triage design & badges repo
- Contribution period
- March 29 - contribution period opens
- April 30 - contribution period closes
- Actual internship period is May- August
- Middle of April: come up with more concrete plans for designer
- Retire the trello board (make sure to note in next blog post)
- Sumantro is still working on this
### Meeting March 9th
Linux App Summit
- CfP deadline: March 15th
- Mariana will work on
- CfP deadline: May 31st
- Conference is in September
- Same format as DevConf.CZ
- Ask Neal if this makes sense
- CfP deadline: May 4th
Open Source Summit EU
- CfP deadline: June 13th
- contribution period starting either March 22nd or 29th
- Sumantro: One more week, else retire will
- Survey Taker
- I updated this ticket to work on the survey taking badge only, let's do the TTF member on 780. FOr a concept, we could take this badge, remove the flag, center the panda, and make any color changes that are necessary https://badges.fedoraproject.org/badge/fedora-cz-author https://pagure.io/Fedora-Badges/issue/23
- Gathering and organizing current resources, Sumantro will finish up.
Marie To Do:
Review Sumantros post
Talk to Sayak & Ashlyn
### Meeting February 23rd
Newest blog post:
- we nailed it!
- next time we want to talk more about survey results
- Everything is in place
- Applicant period March 15th - April 16th]
- Sumantro is working on it
- Tagged as Outreachy 2021- this will be worked on in about 2 weeks
- We can ask Ashlyn & Sayak to help out with this
- New hackmd for role handbooks: https://hackmd.io/FhGUc9IKTW27w0O_Yg49xg
CommOps Team Member
Ambassador Team Member
Ambassador Reps to Mindshare
Student focused pages
- one to send students to, why does being a part of Fedora benefit you
- One for outreach
### Meeting February 16th
- Draft for review https://hackmd.io/wUPR0npjSx2u1lO7mGl5hg
- Marie review
- Feedback applied
February Blog post
- Mariana wrote this up, publishing on Thursday the 18th
- Slides done, we are ready to go!
New ticket for Revamp Design intern in upcoming Outreachy session
- Update timeline (Marie) - DONE
- Submit to website (Marie) - DONE
Trello board - do we want to update or retire?
- Update! Sumantro will work on this
- Member of the TTF badge
- Community Survey Taker badge
- Mariana will open
### Meeting February 9th
- Next step to write a summary blog post
- Sumantro wrote up
- Distill results into practical changes or implementations
- Apply the [feedback](https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-objective-proposal-community-outreach-revamp/25928) to the [plan](https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/CommunityOutreachRevamp)
- Work session schedule for Thursday Feb 11th
- Official council updates unnecessary
February Blog Post
- Topic: Revamp becomes an Objective
- Want to highlight updated wiki
- Revamp @devconf
- Practiced again. 23 minutes long.
### Meeting February 2nd
Free media again:
pbokoc: ok, going through ambassadors could work. If we have a list of ambassadors, we can mention that people can ask them to request install media somewhere on the same page (or somewhere else and link to the list), and the ambassador can open the request on behalf of whoever actually needs the USB stick
- Results have been analyzed
- Next step to write a summary blog post
- Ask Ashlyn
YAY COUNCIL MEMBERS!! First time for Mariana, congrats!
- The revamp has now become a Fedora Objective
- Does the council meeting time work?
- Late for Sumantro. should be able to make it.
- Works ok for Mariana.
- What's next:
- apply feedback into overall plan (start next week)
- add council updates into regular meetings: monthly updates
- Marie finish slides
- Mariana finish up her part
- Run through next week
### Meeting January 27th
- we reviewed, made some edits, look good.
- Mariana is updating the discussion page
- Marie to do slides for next meeting
- Run through presentation and make improvements
- Can we address free media with revamp?
jwf: I think the Free Media program is from a different time in Fedora. But it did one thing uniquely: it provided a decentralized way for contributors to help others use and contribute to Fedora
jwf: Instead of requiring a process to go through Mindshare and take time, it was originally a fast process for someone to help someone else out without contacting the Fedora Board (back in the day)
jwf: It would be nice to see something replace that need that was once a very strong point for us
- We feel this is no longer relevant. Not needed for Revamp.
- Fedora Design intern for upcoming Outreachy session to work on design assets for the Revamp.
- Marie to write up a proposal and put on mentored projects
- Fit in Fedora Badges to the revamp overall
- CommOps "checkup check list"
- We need to write up a check up doc for CommOps/Mindshare to review the health of the CommOps structure in the future.
- Analysis is going great so far
- How do we want to publish results?
- publishing the entire thing could be problematic, if people pick apart responses
- we should trim the data
### Meeting January 19th
- people do not use the mindshare committee as much as they should/could
- enable self organizers with more resources
- people aren't interested in running events, but they do want to participate
- need a function to share/signal boost things OR
- strengthen the existing network for sharing cool projects, signal boosts etc
- Reach out to Alberto, Sayak, Ashlyn & Vipul & invite to thursday meeting
- Read through results
### Objective Questions
We need to answer the following questions
Very minor: there’s an Activity to design the new swag and handouts (good) but “distribute new rebrand materials” should be in the Activities column as well somewhere, and a corresponding entry in outputs as well. In general it’d be nice to put numbers on things in the Outputs column where we can.
- Add in "Distribute new rebrand materials" to activities
- Edit to "Brand & Marketing" in outputs
- Matthew, please clarify what do you mean to "put numbers on things"
Less minor: I’d like to see more concrete measurables for Outcomes. How will we determine that teams are functional?
- We feel this Objective goal should really boil down to being a sustainable team versus a "functional" team. It could be functional today, and then fall apart tomorrow. Ideally we will see increase in involvement and activity, cross-collaboration of all teams in functional aspects, and utilization of resources & processes. Additionally, we feel this is not something that can be measured after we've checked all the boxes, it will be something we can observe over a period of 1-2 years after the completion of this objective. Adding in a survey and/or analysis one year out and two years out, allowing for adjustments to the program, could be the way to address this.
How will we decide that we have clear processes and documentation and an easy-to-participate-in onboarding process?
- Each of the teams in the revamp will have their info congregated into one Docs page with fully updated documentation for each team. This includes the entirety of the updated Ambassador program and the Role Handbooks. Wiki pages for the teams will be marked as obsolete, retired, or moved.
How will we know if Awareness is at levels we deem successful?
- This is a great question, and has instigated a new ativity for the Revamp. Our idea is to create a series of polls on social media: discourse, telegram & twitter. We can gauge community awareness on a variety of outreach related topics now, and in 6 months, and in one year. We can also include questions related to this in the 1 and 2 year follow ups.
How will we know people feel connected to their team identities?
- We will be able to explore the identity question through the polls on social media. We can also include questions related to this in the 1 and 2 year follow ups.
None of this will block me from voting for this, but having it done up front will make it easier for us to evaluate progress and eventual results.
I think the Outcomes need to be more measurable and specific with a plan for measurement.
- We have expounded on each Objective with how we intend to measure each outcome, as well as any potential issues we foresee.
##### Update Outcomes #####
1. The Ambassador team is full of active contributors who know what to do and how to do it
- We have completed the first Ambassador group cleanup and we are adding a cadence into the Ambassador program for annual cleanups. This will ensure that the Ambassador team is full of active contributors only. We will also clarify the documentation on "how to become Ambassador Emeritus" so that if folks choose to retire they know what to do.
- We will measure their knowledge of the Ambassador activities/processes through a specific survey for the members currently active in the Ambassador Team. This survey should be done 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years after the revamp is complete. The results of the survey should instigate any small or large adjustments that may need to be done to the program. These surveys will be written during the Revamp, and then implemented by CommOps/Mindshare.
2. The process for how to organize events and request swag is well known to all Ambassadors, and those within the larger CommOps umbrella.
- This one will be kind of tough to measure. Ideally, we will be able to tap into some of these self-organized events and outreach activities with a CommOps based "Community Activity Network" of sorts. The community survey is showing us that people are doing things without reporting them back, so the overall community is unaware of the activity. The "CAN" would help boost the signal of these activites with virtually no effort from the people executing these activites but to submit them to the network. Once we are able to capture the events/activity that are happening we believe we will find that our event presence is robust.
- We should see a general increase in Mindshare Committee tickets. We will need to measure how many new swag requests are being made, compare them to years past, and continue to look at those numbers. Based on our current pandemic life, this looks a bit different and may be hard to forecast. In the past year swag handouts have been organized centrally through the FCAIC as Red Hat is fulfilling these requests to personal addresses and their is a significant amount of Personal Identification Information (PII) and paperwork involved. The community survey is also showing us that almost everyone is attending events, but the motivation to self organize during the pandemic is low.
3. Members from CommOps & subteams are practicing new/updated forms of organized community outreach.
- We will measure this through informal polls, as well as the 1 and 2 year surveys. We should see an increase in Mindshare Committee tickets from these teams. It could potentially be tough to determine who is representing which request because their is a lot of overlap in membership on these teams. We should also see downloads/page views of key resources that are produced during the Revamp.
4. Clear onboarding documentation and process on how to get involved in the Community Outreach teams.
- The CommOps, Ambassador, Ambassador Emeritus, Ambassador Mentor, Advocate, and Join teams are rolled up into one Docs page with an set of comprehensive indexed resources and information. This will also include documentation and a cadence for updating these pages. Increase in the number of Join tickets and Ambassador mentor program (TBD).
5. Brand awareness from CommOps new structure is beginning to grow based on branding and relevant marketing plans.
- This is something we will measure through the informal polls on social platforms as well as in the 1 and 2 year surveys.
6. More contributors engaged in the Ambassadors program, but also the CommOps teams overall.
- This will be somewhat tough to measure. The results of the community survey are starting to show us that that folks really enjoy self organizing and working independently to one extent or another. One of the paths we are detailing for the Revamp is providing templates, resources, and most importantly, how to receive $resources from the Mindshare Committee. So, if we can see that most folks are choosing to self organize we would ideally see over time consistent page views/downloads of key resources and an increase in Mindshare Committee requests for $resources.
7. Weekly meetings for Community Outreach.
- The weekly meetings will be open to all of the Outreach teams. We expect a base of 6-10 folks who regularly show up. All others on these teams will be encouraged to attend when they need support or are able. We will analyze in the 1 & 2 year follow up how many Community Outreach meetings occurred, and how many attendees were at each.
I also want to put out there that a lot of the deliverables here are a one-time thing… but I think some thought should be put towards ongoing / maintenance type activities. Because for example, new docs are great but they have to be maintained, and to keep them maintained they should start with a plan for sustaining them over time. The plan could be something as simple as, for example, scheduling an every 3-6mo review as part of the charter of the relevant team leadership, to review and update. But that thinking I think should take place now and the process be outlined.
- This is a great point and would definitely point us in a healthy direction for sustainability. 6 months seems like a reasonable cadence for folks to be checking in and updating docs pages for their teams. This is most likely something all teams should be doing, so I think it will fit in quite easily to the new structure. It has been noted to include these check-ins.
I also see that as a lot of the output are deliverables, I’d like to know if there is a distribution plan in mind (if not written up) for the materials in terms of how we’ll get them out and make them available. It’s mentioned that it’s a marketing team responsibility but I think understanding at the start what shape that delivery might take shape in (e.g. a special outreach specific website? social media distribution? some other platform like discourse? all of the above?) would help guide the creation of the content to be targeted for the correct target media. I’d suggest starting with a table of potential outlets. And thinking about, not just how do we announce this big change when it happens, but also where do the documents live and get access after the initial big announcement and in the general day-to-day operations over the long term as a reference. (could just be the fedora docs site, thats fine too, or could also involve a physical component like a printed “welcome kit” sent to new folks. would just like to see it written down :slight_smile: )
- These are great points, thank you for raising them. The proposal and plan was originally written with the idea that we could include almost every team on the Mindshare side of Fedora. This is still true to an extent, but we are changing our approach based on our experience from the past 6 months. We found that we are able to engage at least 1+ person from each team, but not the team as a whole. For example we opened a CommOps ticket and just one person has been driving that. We opened a D&I ticket and we ended up taking the task back and which the Co-leads completed with assistance from a couple D&I team members who overlap with the TTF/Revamp efforts. Asking skilled individuals to help on specific tasks has been a very successful approach. We reflected upon this in our meetings and came to the conclusion that most Objectives/big changes are implemented by a small group of dedicated people, so we do not view this revised approach as a failure.
- We have grabbed the following to-do's/conclusions from your comment. Let us know if we hit all the points :) We feel we need to get a good handle on the plans for these aspects and they will inform the other questions you have raised (where/how/format/sustainability)
- Write in a plan for distribution of new materials/resources
- Write in a plan for distribution of new swag items
- Write in a plan for announcement/roll-out
- Include roll/out documents/promotional materials on Fedora Docs page for Community Outreach
Should the Join team have a role here in the logic model? Community Outreach includes new community contributor recruits too, right
- During the research phase of the Revamp, executed by the FCAIC, we received feedback from the Join Team that they do not wish to add or remove any processes to their current workflow. The fundamental idea behind the Join Team, if we understood the feedback correctly, is that this group is for folks who want to help guide others with a ***low*** barrier to entry. Folks in Join hang out in a channel, and a couple of folks maintain a repo. They feel, as we do we, that they are working functionally currently, and we do not want to be an interference. They will be welcome at the overarching CommOps meetings, will be included in any announcements that are made, and will have access to all the resources that are developed for the Revamp.
- We could add in a function for the CommOps team to review the Join repo on a certain cadence to see if there is an increase/trends in tickets for new contributors.
#### Ambassador Group Cleanup
- Sumantro publishing report tomorrow
### Meeting January 12th
- Vipul is wrapping up the responses
- read results and discuss next meeting
- Ask Vipul & Sayak to help analyze. Check in with Ashlyn.
- https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-objective-proposal-community-outreach-revamp/25928 @Mariana send email to Mindshare mailing list
- Still getting feedback, we will evaluate and respond to questions next week
- Scheduled: https://devconfcz2021.sched.com/event/gmLj/fedora-community-outreach-revamp
- Marie introduces, gives a brief background
- Mariana, What we have done up to this point
- Sumantro, Future of the initiative, vision
- Slides: @Marie to complete
- Promoting the session
Ambassador Group Cleanup
- Sumantro adding in report, and closing ticket. This is complete.
UP NEXT: Role Handbook
### Meeting January 5th
Closes in one week (january 11th)
Tweet - Sumantro Mukherjee - retweets! And send to Matthew Miller
Mariana - pinging commops discourse
Instagram - Mariana
Local networks - all of us - OSPO/local space/channels
Feb 18th-20 https://www.devconf.info/cz/
Next week, put together presentation outline during revamp weekly meeting
Marie to make graphics after
Missed the deadline.
Next time tell the whole story.
Draft short community blog post Marie Nordin
In June of 2020 the Community Outreach Revamp was developed. The initial plan was written by Marie Nordin and then approved by the Mindshare Committee. Implementation began soon after by co-leads Mariana Balla and Sumantro Mukherjee. It became evident pretty quickly that this initiative is of monumental proportions and will take a lot of coordination, people, and hours to complete. Although we don't often have non-code related objectives, the Revamp falls under similar work-load category to other objectives and is crucial to the future of Fedora's community outreach.
We have opened a ticket on the Council-tickets pagure to gain approval from the Council for this objective proposal. Please provide feedback there or on the Council Discuss discussion page. The Council will vote on this in two weeks.
For more info visit the following:
Objective Wiki Page
Temporary Task Force Meeting Notes
Group clean up
Pinged Alberto & Nick - this is complete!!
Mindshare Team Responsibilities Sumantro Mukherjee
Talk with Alberto, check where incomplete ones are at
Design Team - Mairin Duffy - DONE
Website Team - Rick Relrod
Fedora Docs - Petr Bokoc
Fedora Badges - Marie Nordin -
Fedora Magazine - Ben Cotton - DONE
Localization/Translations - Jean-Baptiste
CommOps - Alberto - DONE
Mentored Projects - Vipul - DONE
### Meeting December 15th
Event is February 6th & 7th
email@example.com is opening a mindshare ticket and making a submission for the stand
Distribution dev room info:
Deadline for submission Dec 20th
Community dev room info
Deadline for submission Dec 22nd
Our talk would fit better here
Note for later: Add in a clear process for Emeritus to come back to Ambassador
Updates made to objective wiki page & pagure ticket
Submitted a post to community Blog
Ambassador Cleanup - Sponsors/mentors
One response, good to make changes.
### Meeting December 8th
Sumantro has contacted 4 people
Almost completed, waiting till the weekend and we will move the unresponsive folks to Ambassador Emeritus
Community blog post - Sumantro Mukherjee
Write emails to mailing lists - firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity & Inclusion
Tweet the survey - Marie Nordin
Discord - Radka
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/questions-for-the-taskforce-on-community-revamp/25040 for Question
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/community-outreach-revamp-call-for-ama-questions/ the agenda
Add timeline to Wiki Page & Trello Board
Meeting November 17th
List of “sponsors” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3vc4ViOWBgk5TtimPfEvtVil0CMJHcMkKhtzmjiBOg/edit#gid=746284534
Need to write up an email, send an email, gather responses, make adjustments as necessary
https://pagure.io/mindshare/issue/244 <- survey is progressing nicely. We are incorporating feedback.
Objective feedback: - need to revise the logic model
Lengthen time to 12-18 months
Determine and add in milestones
Ambassador group cleanup - july-nov 2020
Execution and analysis of Community Outreach survey - dec 2020 - january 2021
Execution and documentation of Mindshare Team Interviews - july 2020 - february 2021
Formalized and documented process for Ambassadors mentors - february 2021 - june 2021
Formalized and documented process for reps to Mindshare - february 2021 - june 2021
Completion of Role Handbooks - january 2021 - june 2021
Branding for CommOps team/subteams - April - september 2021
Draft and execution of Marketing plan - june 2021 - dec 2021
Translations of Role Handbooks into 5-8 key languages - june 2021 - dec 2021
I could change the title to “budget for rebrand”
From mattdm: Ah, yeah. And then that connects to the Design Team Activity "develop new branding", and "swag with new branding" is an Output, and maybe there's an "Engaged" section of Outcomes like "Members of the Mindshare/outreach teams feel engaged, energized, and appreciated"
AMA December 10th 3PM UTC during TTF meeting time.
Community blog post
### Meeting November 10th
Marie finished logic model, Mariana opening council ticket
Resource: 5-6 slide presentation, open a design team ticket
AMA for Community Outreach Revamp
Marie followed up with Alberto & Nick on Ambassador group cleanup
Gave a presentation at the Release Party, it went well!
Mariana closing D&I ticket
Finished draft of survey -
Sumantro Mukherjee to work with Vipul on creating LimeSurvey
Keep it open for a month
Monday December 7th - Monday 11th of January
Goal of 100 responses
### Meeting November 3rd
Finished draft of DevConf.CZ proposal -> https://hackmd.io/Im6IGGxjQaGr6a045qF-tA?view
Mariana submitted it
We need to come up with slides/presentation
Finished draft of comm blog post #3 ->
Sumantro working to publish
Ambassador group cleanup -> in progress
Role handbooks -> stalled due to lack of time and we need community survey finished to complete
Mindshare teams responsibilities documentation ->
Sumantro ping ticket
Marie finish logic model
Email D&I ML and ask for feedback
Hello Fedora D&I,
We have noticed that the Fedora D&I has been pretty busy in the past weeks and we would love to move forward with the team's feedback.
If you feel that you have already a lot on your plate, we can close the ticket and find some other way to work this through. I will leave this ticket open until next week.
Let me know what your thoughts are on this. :)
### Meeting October 27th
Sumantro make complete list of FAS accounts to be moved and send to Alberto
Need to finish Devconf proposal and submit by November 1st
Newest community blog post from Mariana 
Marie to finish logic model
### Meeting October 13th
Assign someone to write sponsor email
Ask about how they want to work: trello is working? No? Repo?
Ask them to review survey
Finish up logic model
Mariana will then open council ticket
Sumantro is still getting feedback from people
Sumantro will tally results, and send them to Alberto.
Alberto will make changes.
We need to make a blog post that we are doing that
Devconf.cz CfP -> deadline November 1st
All on board
Meeting October 6th
Responses from contacting inactive ambassadors https://hackmd.io/Lvk_Bfw2RL6FlHeDktqyLw
### Meeting September 29th
#### Update for Ben
Contacted ‘inactive’ Ambassadors
#### Objective Update
Ready to open a Council ticket, Mariana will own this.
#### Email for Inactive Ambassadors
Sumantro will own.
> [Action Required] Fedora Ambassador Activity Status
> Hi Fedora Friend!
> You may have heard about the current Community Outreach Revamp initiative that is taking place. If not, feel free to check out the links below to learn more. We have run a script to determine who is active in the Ambassadors FAS group, and your account came up as inactive based on the results from the fedmsg system. We are contacting you via your FAS email.
> We are reaching out to inquire if you would like to continue your participation on the Fedora Ambassador Team. You are absolutely welcome to stay involved, or if not, we can move you to the Ambassador Emeritus group. Please respond to this email within two weeks or we will consider your participation in the Ambassador group inactive. You can always re-join at a later time!
> Kind regards,
> Sumantro Mukherjee, Mariana Balla, & the Temporary Task Force
### Meeting September 15th
#### Update for Ben:
Community Outreach TTF Kick-Off Meeting (Part 2) - 12PM UTC in meet.google.com/eet-brwo-idx
Check out the Community Outreach Revamp (Ambassadors) Kick-Off meeting to learn more about the revamp and how to get involved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-rkc17V15U&feature=youtu.be
The Mindshare Teams questions have been finalized under the Community Outreach Revamp, and the interviews will begin soon. https://pagure.io/fedora-commops/issue/220
#### Objective Proposal
Deliverables & Timeline
Mariana Balla & Sumantro Muhkerjee
#### Response on Council-Discuss
How do you see co-leadership on the objective working in terms of the Fedora Council?
Both Sumantro and Mariana will join the council, but they will share one vote. They will both attend meetings as necessary and able. Marie will work as back up to provide updates on progress.
I'd like to see some specific measures of success. I am fully in
agreement with the concept, but it would be good to have something to
Completion of Role Handbooks
CommOps, Join SIG, Advocate, Ambassador, Ambassador Emeritus
Formalized and documented process for reps to Mindshare
Execution and analysis of Community Outreach survey
Execution and documentation of Mindshare Team Interviews
Branding for CommOps team/subteams
Draft and execution of Marketing plan
Translations of Role Handbooks into 5-8 key languages
CommOps team/subteams are aware and satisfied with new processes/structure
Along the same lines (and to repeat Matthew's question from the
meeting), what do you see being different 6 months from now? 12?
In 6 to 12 months from now:
The Ambassador team is full of active contributors who know what to do and how to do it.
The process for how to organize events and request swag is well known to all Ambassadors, and those within the larger CommOps umbrella.
Members from CommOps & subteams are practicing new/updated forms of organized community outreach.
Clear onboarding documentation and process on how to get involved in the Community Outreach teams.
Brand awareness from CommOps new structure is beginning to grow based on branding and relevant marketing plans.
More contributors engaged in the Ambassadors program, but also the CommOps team overall.
Weekly meetings for Community Outreach.
What kind of help will you need outside the scope of the Objective to
make it successful (e.g. design, documentation, software development,
The revamp plan includes most of the active teams within Mindshare. These teams have been asked to give their feedback as we worked on approving the proposal. For example, the design team will have to help with several of the tasks (logos, badges), the translation team will help to translate the role handbooks, etc. If you want to read more about how each team will be involved, there is further info on the wiki page. We will be using LimeSurvey to execute a survey.
### Meeting September 8th
#### Agenda for Kick-Off Meeting
1 hour long
Introductions from everyone
Name, where you are from, why you are here
Brief description of the Ambassadors revamp efforts (supposedly they have read the wiki)
Introduce the Trello board and explain the tasks that are already there.
Temporary task force starts here: https://trello.com/c/sgVnz6qm/33-update-and-finalize-commops-team-structure
Try to assign first tasks to people and get a feel for how they would like to meet.. Suggesting, bi-weekly IRC meetings??
#### Volunteer Kick Off Meetings
Thursday September 10th @ 4PM UTC
Short Commblog post to advertise meeting
#### Agenda for Video Council Meeting
1 hour long
Matthew: gives a brief history of the Ambassadors and intros Sumantro/Mariana/Marie
Sumantro/Mariana/Marie: introduce themselves: how long involved with fedora, what teams you participate in, current roles etc
Marie: talks about how the revamp came to be.
Hearing stories from contributors
Reading Switch in my book club
Hacking on the proposal over the course of 2 days
Feedback was gathered from the community and incorporated
Sumantro: talks about what the revamp is meant to do
Successful outreach teams within Fedora
More successful outreach and onboarding
Clarify onboarding, role and structure for teams
Modernize what it means to be a Fedora Ambassador
Mariana: talks about how we will implement the revamp
Mariana & Sumantro co-leading with support from the Marie
Volunteer task force will be working on some specific tasks
More tasks are being taken on by various teams within Mindshare
We are using a Trello board
Marie: talks briefly about kick-off meeting and what we accomplished
There is another kick off meeting at XYZ time and date
Task force is beginning work
Current open tickets with Mindshare teams:
Questions, comments, etc
#### Mindshare Team Interviews
Define the current responsibilities of your Team:
Define the current goals of your Team:
What is the greatest strength of your team?
What is the greatest weakness of your team?
What are the long term plans for the team (if applicable)?
Is there anything you can consider a "Mission Statement" for your Team?
Is there a specific task or issue that your Team needs help for from the Mindshare Committee?
Is there some function/activity you would like to see your Team doing that they aren’t doing currently?
Preferred asynchronous communication channel (mailing list, discussion.fp.o, etc):
Preferred synchronous (IRC channel, telegram, etc, none):
Meetings times and locations (if applicable):
### Meeting Sept 1st
#### Email Draft: Fedora Objective to Council
> **Objective Idea: Fedora Community Outreach Revamp**
> This objective will be an initiative to revamp several community outreach teams within Fedora that are struggling to function, or need more support to truly become a success. The objective will bring together Ambassadors, Ambassador Emeritus, Join SIG, and Advocates all under the same umbrella of CommOps in a clear and cohesive structure.
> **Work involved:**
> The objective will be based on a proposal that has been approved by the Mindshare Committee.  The revamp is being co-led by Sumantro Muhkerjee and Mariana Balla with the support of Marie Nordin, FCAIC. Sumantro and Mariana will co-lead the Objective as well if approved.
> There has been a call for volunteers, and kick off meetings are being arranged.  The proposal is also inclusive of the different teams under Mindshare, assigning tasks for each team to own. A further breakdown of tasks, timelines, and blockers can be found on the Revamp Trello board. 
> **Desired outcome:**
> The desired outcome for the Community Outreach Revamp is for Fedora’s outreach teams to be functioning successfully. The teams should be reinvigorated, understand their different roles clearly, and have all the tools to effectively outreach. Another desired outcome for this revamp is to rebuild contributor fulfillment in various ways.
> **Why this initiative should be a Fedora objective:**
> This initiative should become a Fedora objective for a variety of reasons. It is a large coordinated effort that will take 6-12 months to complete. Community outreach is an important aspect of the Fedora Project that does not get as much visibility as some technical initiatives. Making the Revamp an Objective will bring increased visibility. It will help to interest more people to contribute, and furthermore it will also bring credibility to the work that is being done. It will also create accountability to the Council to ensure the work is moving forward.
> **Feedback from the Council:**
> Please respond to this mail with thoughts, considerations, or suggestions for improvement. Once we receive feedback we will begin putting together the formal Objective proposal. 
> -- Your Revamp Co-Leads, Sumantro & Mariana
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Ambassadors_Revamp_2020
>  https://pagure.io/mindshare/issue/227
>  https://trello.com/b/XFg3Zgh8/fedora-ambassadors-revamp-2020
>  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/objectives/
#### Meeting Notes
Add in a recurring task for us to send updates to Ben every two weeks to be included in his weekly update blog posts
### Meeting: August 25th, 2020
Inclusion in Ben’s weekly updates
As described in the Ambassador Revamp process, one of the goals is to ensure that every team has equal stakeholding in the revamp. To make this change more transparent and open for the community to understand, and to include each Mindshare team in the rebuilding process.
The Taskforce would request the CommOps team to develop interview questions and conduct research interviews with active members/leads of each Mindshare team. The goal of the survey will be to accurately document their current responsibilities as well as any goals/ideas they may have for the future. Lastly, the CommOps team will work with each Mindshare to ensure there is one point of reference on line for each team that include the following points.
Some indication of it’s not a zombie
Preferred Asynchronous communication channel (mailing list, discussion.fp.o)
Preferred Synch (IRC channel, telegram, etc, none)
The Fedora Docs team will help with the Docs process.
This ticket is to track the person who will be working on the ticket, the progress and communications.
We would like to set up a meeting as well with the CommOps folks who will work on this to provide additional context/support and answer any questions.
### Meeting: July 28th, 2020
- Mariana worked with D&I Team
@mariana - To open up a D&I ticket
- Sumantro to work on setting up Trello
Sumantro to set up regular meeting
### Meeting on July 21st
Brief position description of the co-leads and the volunteers roles
Plan of action - timeline for plan
#### Plan for next two weeks
Fill out timeline on each task
PRIORITY: timeline for survey (owned by d&i)