# Design Dao/Agency Call #1
- When: Friday 2018-11-30 7am Brazil = 11 CET = 9pm Sydney
- Where: https://zoom.us/j/957271247
- reference [Web3 Design Dao ideas](http://discuss.conflux.network/t/web3-design-dao-ideas-on-uses-and-a-question-do-we-need-one/250/11) post on conflux
- [Youtube video](https://youtu.be/okhyon7CDtY) Recording of the Call
| name | Telegram | Twitter |
| -------- | -------- | -------- |
| Beltran Berrocal | @lyricalpolymath | [@lyricalpolymath](https://twitter.com/lyricalpolymath) |
| Peter Pan | @add yourself | @add yourself |
| Charlie Ellington | @charlieellington | [@charliellington](https://twitter.com/charliellington) |
| Matthias | @mattybchats | [@mattybchats](https://twitter.com/mattybchats) |
| Minette | @Minette | [@mettenim](https://twitter.com/mettenim) |
- round of intro's who are we, why are we interested in this topic
- Why do we need a Design Dao? ideas to get more people involved
- How to Design Dao?
- brainstorming processes and platforms
- value offered to companies and protocols - why would they give to a Dao?
- incentives to participation
- Next Steps?
- add whatever you want to talk about
## Notes from the Meeting
> Matthias will put notes of the meeting here ;)
Telegram Group - https://t.me/joinchat/Fx2Anw8d0PCeH5DtuaWOOw
Two key structures emerged:
Commercial, more traditional agency structure. Profit driven with equity pools (risk mitigation)
Community cooperative structure that’s geared towards contributing to the Web3 Design Commons.
These two ideas don’t necessarily have to be separated in terms of the design DAO but have different requirements and need to be validated separately.
Crowdsourcing design knowledge.
Having an easily accessible network of designers familiar with Web3 design principles.
Focus on experimentation and playing around with DAO structures just because it seems interesting.
**Motivation for participants:**
A lot of designers/developers/entrepreneurs that feel as though joining a traditional agency wouldn’t be a satisfactory experience but might not be motivated to start their own agency/venture. Tend to gravitate towards freelancing or attempting to find projects that really resonate with them. Having the ability to join a DAO and have a say over governance and function as well as being able to work on what they deem to be a valuable use of their time falls in the middle zone. Sense of co-ownership.
Contribution to the design commons.
Might have a specialised area of interest and need to collaborate with others to achieve their goals, be that contributing to the commons or working on more traditional projects.
Wanting to find paid work in the Web3 space (aside from bounties, this is appears to be quite limited)
Mitigate risk when working for equity. Problem for startups. Particularly large problem with blockchain startups. Pooling it and distributing to DAO participants could be a solution.
Some people have an excess of work, could potentially relay projects onto the DAO.
Subscription model - Primarily oriented around the party wanting design work done. Potentially contributes would also have to pay dues to a be part of the design collective. (Potential problems in the beginning, lack of ‘food on the the table’)
Vetting and reputation for ‘freelancers’
Start from a traditional agency model and migrate towards a large collective
Need a method of quantifying work / contributions. Creative work tends to be quite subjective. High-fidelity prototype vs. brainstorming.
Reverse bounties - Detail a project/concept and seek funding from parties interested in funding the work.
Anyone can launch an idea, people can join and contribute whenever. People vote on if work is good or not. Self organised. Percentage of ownership are adjusted throughout the development lifecycle depending on an individual’s contribution.
Staking when joining a project to ensure contribution is consistent and of high quality.
Come up with potential small projects or methods of validating how two key approaches to a design DAO might work.
Commercial design agency
- What project could we work on?
- What skills are needed?
- Reputation / ensuring that client is satisfied with end result
- (Does anyone have a project/client that might be interested in trying this approach?)
Design cooperative (community focused)
- What project / problem could we work on?
- What skills are needed?
- Community involvement
- Management of participants
- Incentivisation of participation / production of quality work
Find a good time for more people to join.