owned this note
owned this note
Linked with GitHub
# Protocol Labs Resources for Gamedev.js JAM 2021
**[Protocol Labs](http://protocol.ai/)** is an open-source research, development, and deployment laboratory. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and many more. We aim to make human existence orders of magnitude better through technology.
## Technical quickstart guides
[IPFS](https://ipfs.io/) is a peer-to-peer hypermedia protocol designed to make the web faster, safer, and more open.
- [Install IPFS](https://docs.ipfs.io/install/) - Choose from an IPFS Desktop app, the command-line version, the cluster (setting up several nodes within a network), or the IPFS companion browser extension.
- [Architecture overviews](https://docs.ipfs.io/concepts/how-ipfs-works/) – Discover the three fundamental principles to understanding IPFS: unique identification via content addressing, content linking via directed acyclic graphs (DAGs), and content discovery via distributed hash tables (DHTs).
- Read the [IPFS protocol specifications](https://github.com/ipfs/specs)
- Get started with [go-ipfs](https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs)
- Explore the [API documentation](https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs#development)
- View [hands-on examples](https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/tree/master/docs/examples)
- Get started with [js-ipfs](https://js.ipfs.io/)
- Explore the [API documentation](https://github.com/ipfs/js-ipfs/tree/master/docs/core-api)
- View [hands-on examples](https://github.com/ipfs/js-ipfs/tree/master/examples#js-ipfs-examples-and-tutorials), [use-cases and ideas](https://docs.ipfs.io/concepts/usage-ideas-examples/)
- [Intro to NFTs](https://docs.ipfs.io/how-to/mint-nfts-with-ipfs/#a-short-introduction-to-nfts) - Learn about NFTs and the best practices for storing NFT data with IPFS
- [Tutorials](https://docs.ipfs.io/how-to/) - No matter what you're looking to do with IPFS, you can find how-tos and tutorials here.
[Filecoin](https://filecoin.io/) is a decentralized storage network designed to store humanity’s most important information.
- [How Filecoin works](https://docs.filecoin.io/about-filecoin/how-filecoin-works/) - A basic introduction to how the Filecoin network operates. While Filecoin is similar to other cryptocurrencies, there are some differences that developers looking to build on the network should be aware of.
- [Filecoin is for Builders](https://docs.filecoin.io/build/) – There are several options to start integrating with Filecoin: hosted Powergate, Textile Buckets, Glif-nodes, Lotus nodes, and more.
- [Store data on the network](https://docs.filecoin.io/store/) - Storing data on Filecoin lets users harness the power of a distributed network and an open market served by thousands of different storage providers or miners.
- [Understand how Mining works](https://docs.filecoin.io/mine/) - Miners in the Filecoin network are in charge of storing, providing content and issuing new blocks.
- Build with Filecoin
- [Build with hosted powergate](https://docs.filecoin.io/build/hosted-powergate/), for users wanting to combine IPFS (fast retrieval) and Filecoin (backup) with full control of both.
- [Build with textile buckets](https://docs.filecoin.io/build/textile-buckets/), for users looking for simple IPFS storage with Filecoin-based archival, with encryption and shared buckets support.
- [Build with Glif-nodes](https://docs.filecoin.io/build/hosted-lotus/), for users looking for an endpoint to submit messages to the chain. Standalone Lotus, with optional Powergate, are also available).
- [Build with Lotus](https://docs.filecoin.io/build/lotus/), for users looking to interact with their own, local Lotus nodes.
- Try the [Filecoin Course](https://proto.school/course/filecoin/) - ProtoSchool’s self-guided interactive tutorials are designed to introduce you to decentralized web concepts, protocols, and tools. The tutorials in this course on Filecoin offer a code-free experience with text-based lessons and multiple-choice quizzes.
## Building games with IPFS
- Read [this discussion (complete with examples) on using IPFS in gaming](https://discuss.ipfs.io/t/using-ipfs-in-gaming/3844) from the IPFS community forum
- Try building peer-to-peer games on IPFS with [this tutorial from Textile](https://medium.com/textileio/building-peer-to-peer-games-on-ipfs-a-look-at-interplanetary-tag-52d081ee1d32)
- Learn how to use IPFS distributed file storage and NFTs for game asset metadata in [this tutorial from Blockade games](https://medium.com/blockadegames/using-ipfs-distributed-file-storage-for-game-asset-metadata-aac4478e3063)
## Try tools from our ecosystem
- Build decentralized applications with [Fleek’s Space Daemon](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJ5fty-7mA)
- Run a [hosted Powergate instance from Textile](https://textile.io/#managed-infra) to start storing data on Filecoin
- Discover data persistence with IPFS pinning services and why it is important [with Pinata](https://medium.com/pinata/what-is-an-ipfs-pinning-service-f6ed4cd7e475)
## Watch introductions to our technology
- [Saving Data to the DWeb](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24rfLaWtkCw): A Primer and Practical Perspective from Kelsey Breseman of the Environmental Data & Governance Initiative (EGDI)
- [How IPFS deals with files](https://youtu.be/Z5zNPwMDYGg): An IPFS Camp core curriculum workshop by Alan Shaw, Mikeal Rogers, and Steven Allen
- [Intro to Filecoin for developers](https://youtu.be/eQbO63zxWrA): An overview of Filecoin developer pathways from project lead Pooja Shah
## Need help?
Reach out in the *#decentralized* channel on the [Gamedev.js Discord](https://discord.com/invite/URWvCwv), check out the [IPFS community forum](https://discuss.ipfs.io/), or ping us on Twitter at @IPFS or @Filecoin.