tags: executable books, meeting
# Executable Books Project team meeting - October
The Executable Books team meeting is on **the first Thursday of each month**.
By participating in this meeting, you are agreeing to abide by and uphold the [Code of Conduct](https://github.com/executablebooks/.github/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md). Please take a second to read through it! :pray:
- **Date:** October 6th (California TZ) / 7th (Australia TZ)
- **Video conference link:** [zoom.holdgraf.com](http://zoom.holdgraf.com)
- **HackMD Agenda:** https://hackmd.io/THymMOAmSICp8rJdB6_Z1w?edit
- **Calendar for future meetings:** [Google Calendar](https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=2nbh00hh9020u622nt0p5qhbek%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles)
## Welcome to the Team Meeting
If you are joining the team video meeting, sign in below so we know who was here. Roll call:
- Name / Affiliation / Handle
- Rowan C / Curvenote / rowanc1
- Chris H / 2i2c / choldgraf
- Anton Akhmerov / TU Delft / akhmerov
- Chris S / EPFL / chrisjsewell
- Steve P / Curvenote / stevejpurves (update below)
## Reports, updates, and celebrations
This is a place to make announcements (without a need for discussion), short updates about what you've been up to, and shout-outs to contributors! We'll read through these at the beginning of the meeting.
- Chris H
- Community strategy for the EOL on our Sloan grant: https://github.com/executablebooks/meta/issues/493
- Focusing most of my time trying to document things + un-block people
- Have played around with Pradyun's `sphinx-basic-ng` theme and really like it
- Steve P
- Progress on thebe:
- Major styles bug fixed
- First cut of status and activate button out
- Changed the docs & examples to use latest build - Thanks to recent RTD changes :clap:
- Started a Jupyterlite example - have JupyterLiteServer running in browser
- Next Steps:
- Test & Release
- we need to get an update out, as some projects are pinning earlier releases because of that CSS bug. (will coordinate with Chris H.)
- separate jquery layer from low level api (opens up more options for integration)
- document jquery and low level api
- follow through on rename
- Include Jupyterlite kernel option (and generalise)
- Tackle enhancements from Chris S. in thebe / sphinx-thebe
- Matt M
- Sphinx V4 Support in https://github.com/executablebooks/jupyter-book/pull/1448
- Refactor of sphinx-exercise (include LaTeX support for nodes) in final testing
- Would it be useful to have a generalized function / tool to quickly create semantic admonitions that are well-structured? Common Infrastructure? Might be a good way to document admonition -> theme style relationships.
- General agreement that this would be useful :-)
- Added LaTeX support to sphinx-proof
- Example: https://jstac.github.io/continuous_time_mcs/kolmogorov_bwd.html
- Semantic Admonitions!
- Chris S
- +1 for `sphinx-basic-ng` and merging focus of themes
- Participating in https://discourse.jupyter.org/t/inline-variable-insertion-in-markdown/10525
- Made PoC PR to nbclient and nbformat
- Participated in Jupyter Community Meeting and spoke after with Angus Goose and Tony Fast and maybe set up further talks
- But will it go stale 😬
- Added `skip-execution` cell tag functionality in nbclient: https://github.com/jupyter/nbclient/pull/151
- Created myst-nb documentation for sqlalchemy tutorial and fed back to thebe
- Also added merging streams in myst-nb
- Might work with them further on their documentation: https://github.com/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/discussions/7138
- Working with `cpitclaudel` to add "proper" docutils support for myst-parser
- Working with `tanelli` to update markdown-it-py to latest version of markdown-it (and finally fix the more complex url parsing)
- Will also eventually get back to improving jupyter-cache (https://github.com/executablebooks/jupyter-cache/pull/74) and long awaited myst-nb "refactor"
- Have been working on some other open source libraries for templating and exporting to word/latex/pdf from myst.
- Need to get back to myst in js work, next week!
- As implementation starts to happen on the TS/JS/Curvenote side, then it will open opportunities to have discussions around the "core vocabulary" of MyST - what admonitions should be supported everywhere?
## Agenda items
Let's collect all potential agenda items here before the start of the meeting. We will then attempt to create a coherent agenda that fits in the 60m meeting slot. If there are similar items try and group them together.
- Activity Board Review
- Activity board - switch to new GitHub project boards? Demo here: https://github.com/orgs/executablebooks/projects/9/views/1
- Community proposal doc. Rough timeline discussion and next steps?
- Issue for comments/discussion: https://github.com/executablebooks/meta/issues/493
- Proposal text: https://hackmd.io/@choldgraf/HkgAIHtQY
- What are some major next steps?
- Investigate the major steps we'd need to take to integrate with the Jupyter community
- Sticking points?
- We'll need to demonstrate that we have a good maintainability story
- Might have questions around the different parts of EBP
- Start to get feedback in the Jupyter ecosystem
- Threads in the discourse + the governance repo
- Talk to stakeholders in that community and see if there are any things we should think about it
- Crystallize the community strategy doc into some concrete next steps
- Decide on order of operations for how to implement that documnet