# Favorite Linux Software
### Last Updated 12/2020
This is a list of my favorite software applications for Linux. I hope this list helps you discover some new and amazing software that runs on Linux. I've provided links to the project webpages for more information. Installation of the software should be done via your distros repository such as Ubuntu (sudo apt install Kdenlive) or Arch (pacman -S kdenlive). Some of the software is available as a SNAP or Flatpak so check for universal package options if it is not in your distro repository or software store.
One command to install most of the non-proprietary software listed below in Arch distro:
`$ sudo pacman -S kdenlive peek gimp inkscape tilix fish calibre flameshot krita smplayer strawberry guvcview darktable shotwell remmina thunderbird obs-studio telegram-desktop feedreader deja-dup simple-scan`
- **Kdenlive** : Open source non-linear video editor with powerful video creation and export abilities
- **Lightworks** : *Not Open Source* Professional video editing tool
- **FFMPEG** : Convert video or audio files flv to mp4
- **Sublime Text** : IDE Coding and text editor
- **OBS Studio** : Desktop recording and live streaming software
- **Glimpse** : Image editing tool for Linux
- **Inkscape** : Image Editor Vector graphics and drawing tool
- **Tilix Terminal** : Tiling terminal editor
- **Fish Shell** : Smart command line shell (Set Fish as your default shell instead of Bash: chsh -s /usr/bin/fish)
- **Tor Browser** : Browser focused on privacy which sends traffic through user run relays. Also access to the Dark Web.
- **Brave Browser** : Web browser with adblocker built in
- **Firefox Browser** : Web browser with container tabs
- **Telegram** : Messaging and social site with strong privacy and encryption (only partially open source)
- **Whalebird** : Mastodon desktop tool for social media
- **Element** : privacy focused decentralized chat tool
- **Steam** : Valve based Steam store and game management tool
- **Itch.io** : Gaming platform and game management tool
- **Lutris** : Gaming platform and game management tool
- **Calibre** : Ebook management and conversion tool
- **Krita** : Digital painting and drawing tool
- **Bitwarden** : The best password manager on the planet. Cross-platform and open source.
- **Standard Notes** : Simple note taking tool with advanced capabilities when you need it. Mobile and Desktop app available.
- **SimpleScan** : Simple utility to interface and create scanned documents including PDF files.
- **SMPlayer** : Video player and playback tool with built-in codecs
- **Strawberry** : Music player and organizer with beautiful interface
- **Cava** : Music visualizer through the terminal for fun.
- **Guvcview** : Webcam settings editor that works with many webcams for changing default settings.
- **Darktable** : Photography workflow and management tool (RAW support) and video/image downloader works with diverse set of devices including iOS, Android, Nikon, Sony, etc.
- **Shotwell** : Photo manager and downloader.
- **Nextcloud** : Nextcloud is a powerful self hosted cloud server application for communication, storage of media, notes, contacts, etc. Available as a SNAP.
- **Mega.nz** : Mega.nz is a privacy and security focused version of Dropbox.
- **Kodi** : Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as home on a small screen.
- **Remmina** : Remmina is a remote desktop client written in GTK+, aiming to be useful for system administrators and travellers, who need to work with lots of remote computers in front of either large monitors or tiny netbooks.
- **Thunderbird** : Free desktop email management tool
- **ProtonMail** : Secure and private email service with free and paid options
- **Tutanota** : Secure and privacy focused email service
- **FeedReader** : Desktop RSS feed reader and management tool
- **DejaDup** : Easy to utilize backup utility for saving and backing up important files
- **Bleachbit** : Clean your system and free disk space *use with caution*
- **Clonezilla** : Powerful disk imaging and cloning tool