Rotation for facilitating: Carol, Eric Holk, Jack (after getting a new computer) <details> <summary>Meeting template</summary> # Next (template, do not edit, copy and paste and add a date when scheduled) - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - Agenda Item 1 (*Champion's Name* **Time**: $N Minutes) - **Goal**: - **Proposal**: - **Previous discussion**: - New business - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out </details> # 2024-04-12 - Check-in - Assign roles - Facilitator: eholk - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - crates.io RFC (ehuss Time: 1 minute) - https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3595 - Reminder, please take a look. - GitHub access policy (ehuss Time: 1 minute) - https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2872 - Reminder, please take a look. - Edition status update (ehuss Time: 2 minutes) - Council conflict of interest review (ehuss Time: 2 minutes) - Budget from Foundation (Jack, 15 minutes) - https://hackmd.io/@jackh726/rkp946NlR - Summary of proposed budget: - Small, one-off purchases: $10,000 - Project SWAG: $10,000 - Travel and event grants: $75,000 - @apiraino hire for admin. and tech. support planning: $75,000 - Question: Does this budget seem reasonable? Should we pass this to the foundation to figure out exact details? (i.e. what is the process from approval to members receiving money) - New business - RustConf Input Requests (2 minutes) - Foundation would like a response by the end of 2024-04-12 - Project goals proposal (presentation by Niko, 30 minutes) - Project Leads Summit Recap (eholk, Jonathan, Josh, Mara) - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2024-03-15 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - New business - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2024-02-16 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - Confirm kickoff of March representative selections (*ehuss* **Time**: 2 minutes) - **Goal** Get agreement to kick off on Monday Feb 19, with aim to be finished towards the end of March (aim for people to be ready for March 29). - Foundation funding (*Carol* **Time**: 15 minutes) - **Goal** Brainstorm on what next steps to take. - **Previous discussion**: [How are we going to make decisions about how to spend money in the future?](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/65) - What are our goals? - What processes are possible? - Who is interested in writing up proposals of processes? - Trademark policy (*JP and Mara* **Time**: ? 5 min?) - What are the next steps and who is taking them? - New business - Affiliation Limits (*Eric Holk* **Time**: 10 min) ([Draft Affiliation Limit Doc](https://hackmd.io/WEgu8pafTxmY7n26O1AVOw)) **Discuss**: Eric to share goals for affiliation limit policy and get Council's initial feedback. - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2024-02-02 - Check-in - Assign roles - Faciliator: Eric Holk - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - **Discuss**: (15 min) Brainstorm on [How are we going to make decisions about how to spend money in the future?](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/65) - What are our goals? - What processes are possible? - Who is interested in writing up proposals of processes? - Trademark (Jonathan and Mara) - 20 minute presentation - New business - Affiliation Limits (Eric Holk) ([Draft Affiliation Limit Doc](https://hackmd.io/WEgu8pafTxmY7n26O1AVOw)) **Discuss**: (10 minutes) Eric to share goals for affiliation limit policy and get Council's initial feedback. - March council appointments (*ehuss*, **Time**: 15 Minutes) - **Previous discussion**: https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Next.20council.20appointments - **Goal**: Either decide on this in the meeting, or focus on getting the decision async on Zulip. - **Stretch Goal**: If we decide to do the appointments in March, decide who will rotate out. - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2024-01-19 - Check-in - Assign roles - Facilitator: Carol tentatively volunteering - Note taker: Mark tentatively volunteering - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - **Decide**: [What do we want to do with private meeting notes?](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/60) Email to current members? - **Decide**: [Ownership and permissions of the Forge](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/47) - "any team that wants access to the Forge can use it" - any objections? - T-infra is overall owner of the Forge - any objections? - **Decide**: Is there anyone remaining who has questions about the trademark explainer doc? - **Decide**: Is there anyone on council who wants to be in a group to work on the trademark stuff? Is there anyone outside of council we should ask? - New business - [Leads Summit](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392736-council.2Fprivate/topic/Rust.20Leads.20Summit) (eholk) **Decide**: Do we want to put the "council seal of approval" on this? - [Proposal doc](https://hackmd.io/O5W2Iv7HSKWgRcbZLFx9Cg?view) - Questions: - Are we okay with doing this? - Will we officially endorse it? - Should any project-wide decisions be made at the summit? How should we approach that and communicate about it? - How do we feel about funding (event costs, travel) from the foundation? - Does anyone want to help put together an agenda? - If time - **Discuss**: [How are we going to make decisions about how to spend money in the future?](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/65) What processes are possible? Who is interested in writing up proposals of processes? - Initiative updates (*ehuss* **Time**: permitting, move to the end of the agenda if there are higher priority agenda items) - Shape discussion (*ehuss*) - Team repo management (*jack*) - Foundation relationship (*pds?*) - Affiliation limits (*eholk*) - Project management (i.e. edition) (*ehuss* *carol*) - Mod team growth (*Josh*) - PD Election review (*eholk*) - Issue triage (*ehuss* **Time**: permitting) - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2024-01-05 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - Announcement: github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3533 is in FCP - Initiative updates (*ehuss* **Time**: permitting) - Shape discussion (*ehuss*) - Team repo management (*jack*) - Foundation relationship (*pds?*) - Affiliation limits (*eholk*) - Project management (i.e. edition) (*ehuss* *carol*) - Mod team growth (*Josh*) - PD Election review (*eholk*) - Issue triage (*ehuss* **Time**: permitting) - New business - Google Summer of Code (*Jack* **Time**: ??) - **Goal**: Discuss if the project should submit a proposal to GSoC, and who and how that would be managed. - **Previous discussion**: https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/335408-foundation/topic/Google.20Summer.20of.20Code.20and.20idea.20list - GSoC Timeline: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline (open Jan 22, Feb 6 deadline) - GSoC Mentor/Org Guide: https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/org-application - Foundation budget (*rylev* **Time**: 20m) - **Goal**: Discuss how we want to work with PDs on influencing the budgeting decisions. - Concrete examples (from Carol): - Crates.io team would like budget for a designer - Council is exploring paying someone to be 2024 Edition Manager - Trademark policy (*rylev* **Time**: 15m) - **Goal**: Discuss next steps. - **Previous discussion**: See #foundation-council-private. https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/30 - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2023-12-08 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - New business - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2023-11-10 - Check-in - Assign roles - Facilitator: Eric Holk (nominated) - Note taking: - Turn on recording - Announcements - Consent to agenda - Old business - Team merging of Release and Infra (Ryan Levick) - Inform: What is the status of the RFC? (Carol is interested to know if/how we can help and make sure this doesn't get lost) - "Shape of the Rust Project" (Eric Huss) - Decide: Should we form a subcomittee to put together survey? - [Discussion notes](https://hackmd.io/@rust-leadership-council/ByYqb_AT3#2023-11-09) - Team repo management (Jack) - [Notes and discussion points](https://hackmd.io/lyk5WoRzSFGj9aW2SWy1DA) - New business - Foundation - how to develop expectations ([relevant Zulip topic](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Foundation.20-.20expectations)) (Mara) - Decide: Who is going to own this and what are the next steps? - Affiliation limits (Eric Holk) - Decide: Is this something the council has interest in working on? - Decide: Do we want support from the Foundation for project management of the 2024 edition? ([relevant zulip](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Ideas.20for.20project.20organization/near/401023719)) (Carol Nichols) - Who do we ask this question to? Edition leaders? - If the answer is yes, what are the next steps and owner of them? - Mailing list responses (ehuss) - **Goal:** Sense poll on how to handle them. - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2023-10-27 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Consent to agenda - Announcements - Executive Director feedback due today - Old business - Social Media / Mastodon - Growing moderation team? - Regular meeting cadence/schedule - does this time work? Every week, 2 weeks, month? - Meeting observers: Status of https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/pull/19 - Is this blocking? https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/pull/19#discussion_r1300400861 - ?? - New business - Edition team membership - Quick team updates - Team repo access (https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Who.20merges.20team.20PRs.3F) - How can we start helping teams mesh better? (identify first action items) - Team merging of Release and Infra - Affiliation limits - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # Week of 2023-07-17 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Consent to agenda - Announcements - Meeting observers (*Jack*, 15 minutes) - **Previous Discussions**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Observing.20meetings.3F) and [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Meeting.20observers) - **Proposal document**: [[HackMD]](https://hackmd.io/@rust-leadership-council/HkQfs2l9n) - **Goal**: *Discuss* the proposal document and *decide* whether or not, and using what process, to accept meeting observers. - Backlog issue tracking (*Eric Huss*, 10 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Backlog.20issue.20tracking) - **Proposal**: [[GitHub]](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/issues/10#issuecomment-1622489609) - **Goal**: *Discuss* any potential blocking concerns before the librarian team implements - Project Directors election process proposal (*Eric Holk*, 20 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/394329-council.2Fproject-director-election-proposal) - **Proposal**: [[GitHub]](https://github.com/rust-lang/leadership-council/pull/12) - **Goal**: *Inform* the Council of the proposal and gather any initial feedback before approval moves to async. - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # Week of 2023-07-10 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Consent to agenda - Announcements - Revisit frequency of meetings (*Ryan*, 5 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Frequency.20of.20meetings) - **Goal**: *Decide* what cadence the Council should meet at and when the next time this question should be revisited. - Updates from the existing committees - Project Director Elections (*Eric Holk*, 5 Minutes) - Librarians (*Eric Huss*, 5 Minutes) - **Goal**: *Inform* the Council on the latest status - Discussion on top 3 most urgent items/areas of concern (*Ryan*, 25 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/High-level.20work.20items.2Fpossible.20subcommittees) - **Goal**: Answer "what are the 1-3 most urgent items we should assign some sort of ownership to?" and assign at least 2 people to each to determine what next steps are. - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # Week of 2023-07-03 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Consent to agenda - Approval of [Rust specification RFC](https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3355) (*Mara*, 10 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Specification.20RFC.20Approval) - **Goal**: Align on what aspects of the RFC the Council is approving. - Allowing meeting observers (*Ryan*, 10 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Observing.20meetings.3F) * **Goal**: Come to consensus on stance on allowing meeting observers - Discussion of high-level work items that possibly require their own subcommittees (*Ryan*, 30 Minutes) - **Previous Discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/High-level.20work.20items.2Fpossible.20subcommittees) - **Goal**: Come to consensus on whether the list seems complete and correct. Decide on which subcommittees should be created first. - Call for clarifications - Turn off recording - Check-out # 2023-06-28 - Check-in - Assign roles - Turn on recording - Consent to agenda - Note on scribe procedure (*Ryan*, **Time**: 3 Minutes) - **Previous discussion**: [W3C procedure](https://gist.github.com/Manishearth/1b3d0b5a8741a38e10794dcb45d0574c) - Update on Project Director Election group (*Eric Holk*, **Time**: 5 Minutes) - **Goal**: Inform council on progress and plans for Project Director Election process - Documentation team (*Ryan*, **Time**: 10 Minutes) - **Goal**: Decide to establish documentation team in charge of ensuring that Council output (meetings, decisions, pending work items, etc.) are documented properly. * **Proposal**: Establish Council documentation subteam with Ryan and Eric Huss whose first agenda item will be to create a charter for the subteam to be approved by the Council. * **Previous discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/Documentation.20sub-team) - Where and how to track items (*Ryan*, **Time**: 10 Minutes) - **Goal**: Explore and decide at least an initial place to track items the Council is discussing, has delegated, etc. - **Proposal**: Delegate this to the newly formed documentation subteam. - **Previous discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/How.20and.20where.20to.20track.20items) - How to handle time sensitive decisions (*Mara*, Time: 15 minutes) - **Goal:** Explore? - **Previous discussion**: [[Zulip]](https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/392734-council/topic/How.20to.20handle.20time.20sensitive.20decisions) - Call for clarifications - Check-out