tags: seminar series
title: The importance and role of community in open source
- **Video connection details:**
- Zoom ID: 662 0907 5434
- Zoom password: rse
- Zoom invite link: https://uwasa.zoom.us/j/66209075434?pwd=VmRBaFRVOXNKNFRYb1NDRGY5SXZndz09
- **Date and time**: 2022-02-16 17:00 CET [convert to your timezone](https://arewemeetingyet.com/Stockholm/2022-02-16/17:00)
- **This page:** https://hackmd.io/fp8dZitFQwGGws0XY6S1Xg
# The importance and role of community in open source
## Ice breaker question
- Do you consider yourself member of some open source community? If yes, which one?
- JuliaIntervals, Julia community in general
## About the series
This is an event in the Nordic RSE seminar series.
* Reminder about starting recording
* Find out about future events:
* Check https://nordic-rse.org/events/seminar-series/.
* Previous seminar talks videos available at [Youtube channel](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8OyVrmJEuT2lrH7zXoBrhQ)
* Follow [@nordic_rse](https://twitter.com/nordic_rse) on Twitter for announcements
* Join the [Nordic RSE stream](https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/213720-nordic-rse) of the CodeRefinery chat
* Suggest speakers:
* on the [Nordic RSE stream](https://coderefinery.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/213720-nordic-rse)
* by creating an issue on the [Nordic RSE website repository](https://github.com/nordic-rse/nordic-rse.github.io/issues)
## About the Nordic RSE
* Represents Research Software Engineers in the Nordics.
* Check out [nordic-rse.org](https://nordic-rse.org/) for other activities.
* Registereed as an association in Fall 2021.
## Speaker: Logan Kilpatrick
Logan Kilpatrick is the Developer Community Advocate for the Julia programming language and formerly the Community Manager. He is also on the Board of Directors at NumFOCUS, the non-profit that supports projects like Jupyter, NumPy, Pandas, Julia, and more.
Open Source is more than code. In order for an Open Source project to thrive, it must put in place mechanism to attract and reward non-code contributions. In this talk, we will go over how the Julia community attracts and rewards these contributions as well as how other projects can learn from our experience.
## Ask your questions here
- is this a question?
- yes, and this is an answer
- [Julia contribution guideline](https://julialang.org/contribute/)
- [ropensci contributing guide](https://contributing.ropensci.org/motivations.html)