title: NEAR Certified Developer I (1 day) --- Overview
description: This course is an opportunity for web developers to earn a Certificate of Completion that represents the ability to design, develop, test and deploy smart contracts on the NEAR platform.
# NEAR Certified Developer I
## 1-day course on writing smart contracts on NEAR
This course is an opportunity for web developers to earn a Certificate of Completion that represents the ability to design, develop, test and deploy smart contracts on the NEAR platform.
Glad you could join us. We will be working together to learn to build decentralized applications on the smart contract platform known as NEAR Protocol.
Here's a [report](https://medium.com/electric-capital/electric-capital-developer-report-2020-9417165c6444) of what's happening in the industry with these so-called "layer 1" platforms as of Dec 2020. The research makes it clear: *NEAR is here.*
## Benefits of this Course
- Join the NEAR EDU Fellowship program as a Developer in Residence
- Apply for a grant to build out your demo project
- Start your own business and get funded as part of the Open Web Consortium
- Find a job in the NEAR ecosystem
## Before we start
Please make sure you are familiar with a few of these basics before the week starts. Although you do not need to be an expert in these technologies, you should have no problem cloning a NodeJS project, downloading its dependencies and running a few scripts.
- Basic terminal control (see [here](https://mmuratarat.github.io/2020-04-01/bash_shell_tutorial) and [here](https://mmuratarat.github.io/2020-04-01/bash_shell_tutorial) )
- Basic `git` commands (see [here](https://www.git-tower.com/learn/git/videos) and [here](https://github.com/git-school/visualizing-git))
1. Register on our Discord Server
[**[ REGISTER on our Discord ]**](https://discord.gg/k4pxafjMWA)
2. Please complete the pre-work
[**[ COMPLETE the pre-work ]**](#Schedule)
During this course we will practice:
- **perceiving** web 3 in the context of human history
- **reading** contract code in Rust and AssemblyScript
- **writing** contracts using Rust and AssemblyScript
- **deploying** contracts and a sensible user interface
The course will include lots of listening, watching, reading and writing.
## Working Agreement
- We agree to **work in small groups** of 3-5 people
- We agree to **complete all activities** to the best of our ability
- We agree to **work on building a demo** by the end of the day
We expect two kinds of questions:
- questions about the program (what time do we meet, I can't find my group, etc)
- **All program questions should be discussed in our Zoom calls or on the NEAR University Discord server in the proper channels**
- questions about the content (how does `near login` work, how do I deploy a contract, etc)
- **All content questions should be posted to StackOverflow and tagged with `nearprotocol`**
*This 1-day course lasts about 7 hours from start to finish.*
Please check the course schedule and timing for availability in your timezone.
Once registered, you will receive an email confirmation and calendar invitation to join the instructor-led program.
- Some Days Before -- [ **[ Course Prep ]** ](https://hackmd.io/@nearly-learning/ncd-day-0) (**~10-15 hours** of content)
*Learn to make sense of what is actually going on right now in the larger context of history.*
### The Online Course
This course is delivered over Zoom as a remote-first, cohort-based learning experience.
| session | duration | activity |
| EXPLORING | 70 mins | **Exploring web 3** <br> *Learn to read (smart?) contracts in Rust and AssemblyScript, there's really nothing to it.* |
| break | 20 mins | Lunch Break |
| WRITING | 70 mins | **Practicing web 3** <br> *Learn to write contracts that control identity and money as the new primitives of web 3.* |
| break | 20 mins | Coffee Break |
| PROJECT | 70 mins | **Projects - Part I** <br> *Learn to deploy your contracts to TestNet*|
| break | 20 mins | Snack Break |
| PROJECT | 70 mins | **Projects - Part II** <br> *Learn to deploy your contracts to TestNet*|
| break | 20 mins | Demo Prep Break |
| DEMOS | 60 mins | **Demos** <br> *Demonstrate your group project in 5-10 minutes* |
### 1. How much does this cost?
Nothing, in fact *we pay you* to complete this course.
### 2. Do I need to be a software developer to take this course?
Yes, and it **won't be easy** -- we'll be moving quickly, no joke.
### 3. Do I need a Mac?
MacOS and Linux will be the easiest operating systems to use.
Windows may prove challenging but if you're ok with that, please join us. You should [install WSL](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install) before we meet since we'll be using NodeJS applications like [`NEAR CLI`](https://docs.near.org/docs/tools/near-cli)
### 4. How do I know if I'm winning?
There's no such thing as winning here because we're all lost. Welcome, friend.
### 5. When moon?!
### 6. Do you care if I cheat?
No, in fact cheating is encouraged. Let's get one thing straight: if you're serious about learning, the fastest way from here to there is to meet people, ask questions, look at some answers, look at even more answers, copy some examples, break things and finally, if you're lucky, learn something new.
As long as you're honest about what you're doing, you're always welcome here.
Just don't take credit for others people's work because that's lame.
### 7. I have zero time for all this. Can I just binge on some deep work on my own?
Hell yes! Here you go:
- [NEAR for Senior Developers](https://hackmd.io/@nearly-learning/near-201) is a firehose of content including everything below
- [NEAR in a Nutshell](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fG3PNTKw727Z5SVyUbJ2nnxn5MZNSGYEZIU2Y7XtlYY) covers everything that is NEAR on a single page
- [NEAR Live Contract Review](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7VeUS_RAA&list=PL9tzQn_TEuFXnYksuNJwrl1l_AuWzn6eF) covers our [core contracts](https://github.com/near/core-contracts), among others
- [NEAR Live App Review](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT99JLpO2Q8&list=PL9tzQn_TEuFXnHlfh00etU57IjpRlQGpY) covers app development patterns
- [NEAR Core Overview](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_8PapFCjo&list=PL9tzQn_TEuFV4qlts0tVgndnytFs4QSYo) covers the `nearcore` code base
- [Learn NEAR](near.org/learn) landing page for educational content
### 8. I have one hundred more questions.
That's awesome. Here is [**a real FAQ**](https://hackmd.io/@nearly-learning/faq)