--- tags: turing-way, collaboration-cafe --- # _The Turing Way_ online Collaboration Cafe | 15 July 2020 Thank you for joining the _Turing Way_'s online Collaboration Cafe! We're delighted to have you here :coffee: :sparkles: :cake: (*We do recommend bringing your actual tea, coffee, water, etc. to this cafe! :smile:*) **What?** *The Turing Way is a **lightly opinionated guide to reproducible data science and research**. This collaboration cafe aims to engage with researchers interested in learning and sharing more about this topic in an **online book**: https://the-turing-way.netlify.com* **Who?** ***Everyone** interested in reproducible, ethical, and inclusive data science and research are welcome to join the full or any part of The Turing Way project, community, and/or this call.* **When?** 15 July 2020, 15:00 BST ([link for the local time](https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2020-07-15/15:00)) **How?** [Join the Zoom call]() ***All questions, comments, and recommendations are welcome!*** ### Useful links * Shared notes: https://hackmd.io/@KirstieJane/CollabCafe * The Turing Way GitHub repository: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way * All about [online Collaboration Cafes](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md) * Turing Way calendar: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ * Contribution guidelines: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md * Chat on Gitter: https://gitter.im/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way * Join the mailing list: https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay * Can't join the collaboration cafe but want to work with us? Check out the co-working calls during the week: https://hackmd.io/@malvikasharan/TW-coworking ### Code of conduct * [Take a moment to read this](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md) ### Pomodoro timer for this session https://cuckoo.team/collabcafe ### Sign up below **Name + a book you have been holding on to for a long time but haven't yet finished reading + an emoji to represent it ([emoji cheatsheet](https://github.com/ikatyang/emoji-cheat-sheet/blob/master/README.md))** *(Remember that this is a public document. You can use a pseudonym if you'd prefer.)* * Malvika + Brave New World + 💪 * Martina Vilas + Too many to count + :face_palm: * Arielle Bennett + The Inheritance of Rome (it's been 5 years!) + 🌍 *(I am hoping to join after 3:30pm)* * Naomi Penfold + Prisoners of Geography (also, too many to count) + :world_map: *(I have to hop off for another call at 4pm)* * Joshua Teves + Stand on Zanzibar (also many more) +:heart: * Sarah Gibson + Data Feminism + :chart_with_upwards_trend: * Pooja Gadige + George Orwell's Animal Farm + :woman-raising-hand: * ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * Malvika for _The Turing Way_: * [our newsletter is out today](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay/letters/join-today-s-collaboration-cafe-learn-how-you-can-develop-chapters-on-ethical-research-and-connect-on-slack-before-you-go-on-a-summer-break) 🎉 * [Join the Slack space](https://join.slack.com/t/theturingway/shared_invite/zt-fn608gvb-h_ZSpoA29cCdUwR~TIqpBw) **NEW** * ### Schedule https://cuckoo.team/tw-collabcafe | Duration | Activity | | ---- | -------- | | Start | 👋 Welcome, code of conduct review | | 10 mins | Introductions and personal goal setting | | 20 mins | 🍅 1st Pomodoro session | | 5 mins | ☕️ Break | | 20 mins | 🍅 2nd Pomodoro session | | 5 mins | ☕️ Break | | 20 mins | 🍅 3rd Pomodoro session | | 5 mins | ☕️ Break | | 30 mins | Open discussion: celebrations, reflections and future directions | | 5 mins | 👋 Close | ### Timers * 20 minute timer (beach): http://amazingtimer.com/countdown_timer.php?h=0&m=20&s=0&b=26 * 5 minute timer (cat): http://amazingtimer.com/countdown_timer.php?h=0&m=5&s=0&b=30 * 5 minute timer (chameleon): http://amazingtimer.com/countdown_timer.php?h=0&m=5&s=0&b=40 ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that are already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Teamwork makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* The topic for breakout / Names * Getting started / Naomi+Malvika * VCS example /Josh * JupyterBook built / Martina * Sarah / project proposal ### Notes and questions * Naomi - started reviewing coworking chapters. Issue #1257. Did not finish – more TBC, Malvika! * Sarah - working on my project proposal. * Pooja - submitting OLS-2 application * Martina - writinga. script to extract all the different kinds of errors that is occurring in the JupyterBook built * Joshua - developing a narrative-like example for the vcs chapter * Malvika - here to help others to get onboarded and started, then will work with Pooja and Sarah. ### Feedback at the end of the call * Naomi (left early) - awesome to learn how to review and suggest changes within the "files changed" view on GitHub, thanks Malvika! I also discovered the Google calendar and have now added this to my calendar so I can spot upcoming opportunities to come back and get more involved :sparkles: * Joshua - created a PR #1265 and issue #1264 and did a few commits * in a draft PR, the commit is always one step behind the original commit * changed the draft and renamed the PR with [WIP] * Pooja - Submitted the application! * Sarah and Malvika - we were somewhat productive. * Martina - there is a bug in my script that is not extracting the errors correctly, but its a good bug to fix :100: ---- #### Wondering where to start? Here are a few suggestions for good first contributions: - Fix a typo in [the book](https://the-turing-way.netlify.com) and/or [repository](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way). - Flag the unclear or duplicated information in the book by opening an [issue on the GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues). - Fix an [old issue](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues) or comment on the the [pull requests](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pulls). - Write your personal experience of reproducible research in this [google form](https://goo.gl/forms/akFqZEIy2kxAjfZW2). - See more info on the GitHub: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md --- **link to share** https://turing-uk.zoom.us/j/98077261062?pwd=SlpwdFpWTjd6TjZBUGY4eTc4clp2dz09 # Notes from the last call: ## Archive: 1 July ### Roll Call *Name + A post, personal interaction, random act of kindness or information that has made you feel positive this week + a link to a gif/picture or emoji to express it ([emoji cheatsheet](https://github.com/ikatyang/emoji-cheat-sheet/blob/master/README.md))* *(Remember that this is a public document. You can use a pseudonym if you'd prefer.)* * Malvika Sharan + ["Kobe eats" instagram posts](https://www.instagram.com/kobe_yn/) makes me smile, it is about a toddler chef! (plus constant supplies of tea by my partner) + 🍕👼 * Kirstie Whitaker + Friends in California chatting with me when I walk my dog early in the morning! SUCH a great way to start the day! + :wave::phone::hugging_face: * Martina Vilas + going for a picnic with friends at safe distance + :sun_behind_cloud: :sandwich: * Sarah Gibson + Just my [kitten](https://photos.app.goo.gl/n3CkGXWRF2qEYV6p8) + :heart_eyes_cat: (P.S. May be late as this is after a 1-2-1) * Kate Simpson + a Kingfisher card in the post from my parents + :smiley: * Pooja + I managed to get back to my home town and catch up on sleep + :sleeping_accommodation: * Kasra Hosseini ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event, or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * Would you like to share any resource that have helped you learn about and take meaningful action to support the Black Lives matter movement in your network? * https://lectureinprogress.com/journal/resources-for-supporting-black-lives-matter-movement * Seeing White is SUCH a great podcast series: https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white * The Imperial As One reading list is a good resource: https://eu.alma.exlibrisgroup.com/leganto/readinglist/lists/38599424730001591?institute=44IMP_INST&institute=44IMP_INST&fromSaml=true&auth=SAML +1 ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that is already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Team work makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* Topic for breakout / Names * Kate: OLS application * Pooja: GSoD application * Kasra: steps to take when we start a new project: * coworking of RSE and postdocs * postdocs want to get to the result ASAP and don't spend time in version controlling * How can we best guide their development so that they can consider version control attached to their result * It's understandable if you are experiencing this challenges * Creating a checklist for guiding postdocs ([some reference is being collected](https://hackmd.io/cyiIhKB6SreSfsg4cUB-Sw?both)) * JOSS quality check * FAIR principle * draw example from Living with machine: * NLP: conference based (deadline driven) * computer vision: have more flexibility there * Version Control - how to lead this in a simple way * adding some agile development practices but people often working in a deadline driven environment often don't have the time to coordinate. * Value vs Responsibility * REG have values and standards to uphold * We therefore have a responsibility to to educate * Prepare a list of values, what are the important ones and _how to practically implement them_ * Do a "Value A over Value B" exercise to start the conversation * Teach VSCode integration for easy use of VMs, git/GitHub, Jupyter Notebooks? * Re-run git-novice SWCarpentry? * Involving postdocs in verifying the phases * Value alignment with RSG and LwM ### Notes and questions * Kevin: Published a preprint https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.15715 * Applied high quality reproducibility practices * For methodological paper when you don't share data it's easy to implement such practices * It would be great to add the process of writing this in The Turing Way: Start with the issue * Fede: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.11140.pdf * Kevin: can we test real case examples of concepts taught in _The Turing Way_? * We should think about binderised notebook to be added in chapters where it fits * Authorship in a paper * Filter by field of research (in addition) * Case studies section: binderised pages to test on your own * Examples ## Archive: 3 June Roll call * Malvika Sharan + Art of Gathering by Priya Parker + 🤝 * Sarah Gibson + Wishing I could read a book right now! + 🖥 * Pooja Gadige + Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets + :female_mage: * Martina Vilas + [The theory that would not die](https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10672848-the-theory-that-would-not-die) + :game_die: * Rosie Higman + [America is not the heart](https://www.waterstones.com/book/america-is-not-the-heart/elaine-castillo/9781786491350) + not sure yet - only just started! * Natalie Thurlby + The half-hour allotment + :seedling: * Kate Simpson + [How the world thinks](https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/42068288-how-the-world-thinks) + one chapter in :thinking_face: (just read [The life and rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah](https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/36100995-the-life-and-rhymes-of-benjamin-zephaniah) + :fist: ) ### Breakout rooms: Topics * I am working on responding to some PRs * Working on half finished document on Governance * Sarah: Hopefully working with Martina on tweaking CI so that it only runs on changed files in a PR: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/985 * Rosie: Will take a look at [PR 1194](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/1194) butwill be joining a little late * Pooja: I will be editing the Overview page to replace relative links with the new Jupyter Book's labels in the existing PR [#977](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/977) and edit the CONTRIBUTING.md file to add instructions for the same. ## Archive: 20 May Name / something that you have learned to cook recently * Malvika Sharan + Cherry cake + :cake: * Alexander Martinez + Chicha de corozo + :tropical_drink: ### Notes and questions * Newsletter for this month is out: https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay/archive * Alexander is working on his mater thesis which is about reproducibility and has used The Turing Way (has been in touch with Camila) ## Archive: 6 May * Algurlrhythm + writing gratitude journal + :pencil2: :open_book: * Esther Plomp + long walks in the neighbourhood if the weather allows + :walking: * Martina Vilas + drinking mate all day + :tea: * Malvika Sharan + Switching location of my work based on where it's most sunny at home + :sunflower: * Wiebke Toussaint + baking bread + :bread: * Mateusz Kuzak + eating lunch on the balcony, checking online groceries delivery slots before going to sleep * Carlos Martinez + baking bread (so hipster) + :beer: * Kirstie Whitaker + running a long way each Saturday! Two half marathons in April! + :woman-running::dash: ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event, or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * We have regular co-working hour for The Turing Way almost everyday at 11:00 BST: https://hackmd.io/@malvikasharan/TW-coworking * [Pyladies Bangalore](https://twitter.com/pyladiesblr) is hosting a virtual software programming talk on its [YouTube channel](https://youtu.be/LIAOATJfLZg) on May 9 at 3:30 p.m. BST. More about [Pyladies community](https://www.pyladies.com/). * [eScience center guide](https://guide.esciencecenter.nl/) sprint :open_book::dash::dash: * eLife Innovation sprint: https://sprint.elifesciences.org/ * Deadline: 24 May https://sprint.elifesciences.org/join/ ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that is already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Team work makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* Topic for breakout / Names * Esther: working on a Data Management Plan section/chapter: https://hackmd.io/kKm1R1PfRZStmbo9GtwuBg?edit * [name=Kirstie] AWESOME! Thank you! * Kirstie: I'd like to review these chapter skeletons: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/763 and also discuss the order / home location for the version control & GitHub information that Malvika is talking about :point_down: * Malvika: Work on the version control chapter that is split now into git workflow and GitHub. I will work on the GitHub part today by integrating two independent tutorials: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/859 * Friendly GitHub * Visula illustration on collaboration through local and remote repo * Carlos: Making PRs from todays guide sprint & opening new issues for future sprints :-) * Mateusz: catching up with the status of variuos contributions from the eScience Center * Martina: upgrading jupyter-book to beta version * [name=Kirstie] Martina I am SO excited about this work - thank you so so much! * Yay!! * [name=Martina] I would love feedback on how it looks at the moment :smile: * Pooja: Set up repository locally and pick a good-first-issue to get started with contributing to the repository. ### Notes and questions * Citation done correctly: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/book/content/reproducibility/02/whycare.md * Malvika: moved the GitHub section that should move out of the version control chapter: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/859 * ## Archive: 15 April Attendees * Esther Plomp + my husband is doing our groceries which is just amazing + :heart_eyes_cat: (depending if I can finish my figures on time) * Eirini Zormpa + My partner made me scones + :yum: * Joshua Teves + My wife made a delicious dinner with some of the garden vegetables. :yum: * Santosh Ilamparuthi + multiple colleagues helped promote projects I am working on get in touch with people who could contribute + :angel: * Sarah Stewart - Wonderful cheering morning coffee meet-ups online with colleagues - a small action with big results! :coffee: * Rosie Higman + Friend gifting me some tomato plants (with a socially distant pick-up) + :tomato: (technically they're yellow tomatoes but no emoji for that!) * Nathan Begbie (might arrive late to colab cafe) - got hot choc buns this weekend 🍫 * Sagar Devkate + My friend taught me how to begin with OpenSource. * Kirstie Whitaker + My boyfriend helped me tidy the space above the wardrobe so now my zoom background looks much nicer! + :mountain: * Malvika Sharan + Our Amazon delivery people and local shop keepers + 🙌 * Morgan Hough + my wife got me nutter butters - I was not aware this existed Topic for breakout / Names * Joshua Teves: git chapter contributions * Kirstie - check in with Josh about what he's thinking about for git, but then governance, authorship & credit brainstorming :grimacing: * Sarah Stewart: Persistent Identifiers (DOIs), but need to check what has been done already (sorry I'm a bit behind!) :grimacing: * Kirstie - I feeeeeel like there's a PID chapter that was written by Frances at the February Book Dash - if you can review that and leave comments (including adding information that's missing) that would be amazing * Thanks Kirstie - That is what I suspected! But I'm happy to review and make additions as needed! :smile: * Are there any further data management areas that need work also? Perhaps I will also check the issues for further/future work. * ORCID image: https://zenodo.org/record/3695300#.XpdUYfx7k2w - Search for ORCIDids :smile_cat: * Esther : I need to check some changes as I think were now in the 6 book phase and see where I left of things + I had a vague idea for adding some more project managegement folder structure examples. * Eirini: I'm not sure yet :smile: +1 * Malvika: To get people oriented with the project * Sagar :- Not sure yet! * Malvika (in the later hour): Work on netlify (where our book is hosted) build to test some of its features * Rosie - reviewing PRs :smile: ## Archive: 1 April 2020 * [name=Kirstie] Please share this opportunity to analyse COVID19 data from intensive care units. * https://www.turing.ac.uk/work-turing/research-and-funding-calls/call-covid-19-rapid-response-data-science-taskforce * Deadline for Teams: Friday 3 April * Deadline for Individuals: Friday 10 April * I would be PARTICULARLY excited if there were members of the Turing Way community with expertise in data management, version control, testing and code / analysis review who applied. * I'm leading on reproducibility and it is completely critical that we turn around fully reproducible results in 24 hours that are archived for a future audit by the government when all this has passed. ## Archive: 18 March 2020 * Malvika Sharan + We have turing way illustrations and logo to share soon + :books: :female-office-worker: * Sarah Gibson + That I actually have time to join the Cafe! + :clock10: * Nadia Soliman + starting Collaborative leadership chapter in the Turing Way + :earth_africa: *I am so sorry I can no longer join you all - hope to see you all soon* * Arielle Bennett-Lovell + Diving back into chapters started during the Book Dash :dancer: (I'll only be able to make 1-2 pomodoro sessions) *Update: sorry time has caught up with me have to send my apologies!* * Tony Yang + bit more time to self reflect and work on the turing way + :tada: * Martin O'Reilly + Looking forward to contributing to the new remote working section and being part of my first Turing Way wession for a long time + :desktop_computer::house: * Kirstie Whitaker + I'm excited to be back at work after the UCU Strikes, I'm loving catching up with everyone + :computer: * Barbara Vreede + suddenly everyone knows how to Zoom! * Philippe Rocca-Serra: Excited to meet the group, I am working on the IMI FAIRplus Cookbook Apologies: Esther Plomp (I really would like to join but this week has been particular stressful as I'm attempting to hand in my thesis - yaaaay- so I will probably join the next one, sorry!) ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event, or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * [name=Tony] I stole Kirstie's group's [onboarding](https://github.com/WhitakerLab/Onboarding) procedure for my group. Seems timely to keep the group engaged :P * [name=Malvika] * [Newsletter - we released it today!](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay/letters/sharing-updates-from-the-community-launching-our-new-logo-and-sending-wishes-for-your-well-being-during-the-covid-19-pandemic) * I have been running a mentoring program [Open Life Science](https://openlifesci.org/) (w/ Yo and Berenice), it's been 9 weeks, and "NOW" that they are stuck at home, our mentees totally get why we teach them about open and collaborative approaches for working - a colleague of mine (Holger) called it - Moment of Zen for OLS! Sooo satisfying! ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that is already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Team work makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* Topic for breakout / Names ## Remote working/Malvika * Main Issue: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/960 * Branch to work on: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/tree/ms-collaboration-book * Direct links to the files: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/tree/ms-collaboration-book/book/content/remote_collaboration Issues relating to remote collaboration: * Remote collaboration: Managing resources [#938](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/938) * Remote collaboration: Managing Time Effectively [#940](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/940) * Remote collaboration: Accountability for teams and individuals [#941](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/941) * Remote collaboration: Leadership and management [#942](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/942) * Remote collaboration: Establishing protocols [#943](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/943) * Remote collaboration: Pros and Cons [#944](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/944) * Remote collaboration: Wellbeing [965](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/965) * Malvika will work on remote conference checklist! ## File structure (location) ![](https://i.imgur.com/WHs6ZSc.png) LINK: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/ms-collaboration-book/book/website/_data/toc.yml ``` - title: Remote Collaboration url: /remote_collaboration/remote_collaboration sections: - title: Establishing Protocols url: /remote_collaboration/protocols/protocols - title: Managing Resources url: /remote_collaboration/resources/resources - title: Tool Choices url: /remote_collaboration/tools/tools - title: Leadership and Management url: /remote_collaboration/management/management - title: Well-being of your people url: /remote_collaboration/wellbeing/wellbeing - title: Case Studies url: /remote_collaboration/casestudies/casestudies - title: Perceived Pros and Cons url: /remote_collaboration/prosandcons/prosandcons - title: Checklists url: /remote_collaboration/checklists/checklists ``` ### Notes and questions * ### Feedback at the end of the call * [name=Sarah] My blog PR - feedback welcome! https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/964 * [name=Malvika] Checklist: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/ms-collaboration-book/book/content/remote_collaboration/checklist/checklist.md ---- ## Archive: 4 March 2020 Partcipants: * Malvika Sharan + We have turing way illustrations and logo to share soon + :books: :female-office-worker: * Martina Vilas + Sunshine is slowly coming back to Germany :sun_with_face: * Esther Plomp + I'm getting Indian take away food tonighhht! :heart_eyes: * Laura Carter + my friend just moved back to the UK :airplane: - sorry everyone, IT systems not cooperating this afternoon! :cry: * Oh noo! Join us here: https://gitter.im/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way, We are running virtual cafe there too. * [Barbara Vreede](https://github.com/bvreede) + working from home today with the sun on my face :sunglasses: (also now I want Indian take away, Esther!) * Victoria + Looking forward to aligning my ELIXIR work on research data management with Turing way :book: ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event, or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * Last [month's Newsletter](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay/letters/translating-the-book-into-chinese-and-expanding-our-content-at-this-week-s-book-dash) is very very exciting! We have a special newsletter for this month but will release after UCU strike this week. * ### Schedule | Time | Activity | | ---- | -------- | | Start | 👋 Welcome, code of conduct review | | 5 mins | Introductions and personal goal setting | | 15 mins | 🍅 1st pomodoro session | | 35 mins | ☕️ Break 5 mins | | 40 mins | 🍅 2nd pomodoro session | | 1hr 0 mins | ☕️ Break 5 mins | | 1hr 5 mins | 🍅 3rd pomodoro session | | 1hr 25 mins | ☕️ Break 5 mins | | 1hr 30 mins | Open discussion: celebrations, reflections and future directions | | 2hr 0 mins | 👋 Close | ### Timers * 20 minute timer (beach): http://amazingtimer.com/countdown_timer.php?h=0&m=20&s=0&b=26 * 5 minute timer (cat): http://amazingtimer.com/countdown_timer.php?h=0&m=5&s=0&b=30 * 5 minute timer (chameleon): http://amazingtimer.com/countdown_timer.php?h=0&m=5&s=0&b=40 ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that is already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Team work makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* Topic for breakout / Names * Martina: Adapting contribution guideline for the updated jupyter notebook * Esther: Electronic lab notebook, and flagging some of the overlaps between open research chapters * Victoria: Exploring the project today! Wants to align ELIXIR data management content with the Turing Way. * They would be interested in contributing to the data management chapter and also add some of the country specific cases (mostly European but hopefully can inspire others to add their cases from non-european countries) * Laura: getting used to Github today! * <3 yay! :heart: The repository is quite confusing and takes a few minutes (hour) to get used to the location of different chapters. Let me know if you need any assistance :D * Barbara: Getting back to the project after book dash so reorienting. * Had some conflict files after the last contribution which she fixed already! ### Notes and questions * There are some missing information from open research that should be crosslinked with research data management * Esther: links to the issues opened: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/909, https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/issues/895 * Victoria will contribute to the issue * Martina has sent some PR for formatting how contributors are displayed * Esther is getting reviews done as planned! ### Feedback at the end of the call * Both Esther and Martina need some comments on their issue/PR * We need to discuss and share more about this project ## Archive: 19 Feb 2020 Summary: * Malvika Sharan - Finishing book dash presentation * Kirstie Whitaker - Fixing all_contributors bot * Yara Sanchez - Worked on fixing broken issue link on the contribution guideline ## Archive: 5 Feb 2020 ### Sign up below *Name + something you're excited about this week + an emoji to represent it ([emoji cheatsheet](https://github.com/ikatyang/emoji-cheat-sheet/blob/master/README.md))* *(Remember that this is a public document. You can use a pseudonym if you'd prefer.)* * Malvika Sharan + diving into new projects and checking out the music scene of London + :thought_balloon: * Kirstie Whitaker + heading out to Kent with my dog on Saturday to go for a walk somewhere I haven't been before + :dog: * Natalie Thurlby + house!! + :house_with_garden: (P.S. I might be a little bit late, but no more than 10 mins) * * ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event, or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * [name=Malvika] * We have a twitter page: https://twitter.com/turingway (less than 3 days, over 300 followers!! Wildly happy.) * I was introduced to a project called programming historian: https://programminghistorian.org/, really looking forward to see how they do things, and what we can learn from them. * [name=Kirstie] * Gave a workshop in the British Antarctic Survey last Friday. Shout outs to Anita for organising it this year and other Turing Way members who helped organising it last year. Since everything was archived (From last year), they could re-plan this workshop this year. * ![](https://raw.githubusercontent.com/scott-hosking/my-first-binder/master/BoostReproducibilityBinder_BAS_2020-01-31.jpg) * * * * ### Schedule and Timer placeholder ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that is already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Team work makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* Topic for breakout / Names * [name=Malvika] Checking out bots, annotation and working on some issues/PRs * Sarah told me about this bot: https://github.com/probot/probot for managing pull requests. * Would like to explore https://dokie.li/ for annotation in th book * * ### Feedbacks at the end of the call * Update the reporting guideline. * * ## Archive: 15 January 2020 ### Participants *Name + something you're looking forward to this year + an emoji to represent it ([emoji cheatsheet](https://github.com/ikatyang/emoji-cheat-sheet/blob/master/README.md))* *(Remember that this is a public document. You can use a pseudonym if you'd prefer.)* * Malvika Sharan + diving into new projects and checking out the music scene of London + :running: * Nadia Soliman + finishing a preclinical systematic reveiw of cannabis and pain and my leg not being broken so I can :running: again! * Nathan Begbie + helping to set up reproducible DS pipelines at work * Esther Plomp + Finishing my PhD :+1: * Morgan Hough + setting up west coast data collection site for CMI HBN neuropsych/EEG ### Conversation Starters *Advertise and promote your event, or anything exciting you're working on.* ✨ * [name=Kirstie] Book dash applications close on 16 January!! Come and work with us IRL to contribute to the Turing Way in London 21 Feb 2020. * https://forms.gle/6jFy8B3HMP9p1kPf9 * Also - please join the mailing list! https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay * ### Schedule and Timers placeholder ### Breakout rooms: Topic proposals *If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to discuss in a breakout room, please add it below and put your name next to it. If you like one of the topics that is already suggested, please add your name next to that one. Team work makes the dream work. For more information about breakout rooms see [the description on GitHub](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/project_management/online-collaboration-cafe.md#breakout-rooms).* Topic for breakout / Names * [name=Nadia] How to work collaboratively - Collaborative Leadership! * [name=Esther] GitHub, broken links report! * [name=Nathan] Software dev background, look through some of the issue. * [name=Morgan] Interested in reviewing Research environment chapter * * ### Notes and questions * Esther has opened multiple issues to work on and here is a PR https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/797 * Nathan has worked on this: https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/pull/498 * Has sent bunch of PR, should add @Yo for review and see where * Malvika followed up on a few PR, discussed the project with Morgan * Nadia came to say hi, and will work on the accessibility part offline * * * ### Feedbacks at the end of the call * Esther and Nathan are considering to apply to the book dash, and got some questions clarified on the call * Morgan joined during his lunch time and explored the project, proof read a full chapter on environment * Thinks that the chapter is complete and may come back to adding suggestions if something pops up * * *