tags: community, minutes
# PlasmaPy Community Meeting | Tuesday 2021 April 06 at 18:00 UT
### Video Conference Information
* [Jitsi video conference link](https://meet.jit.si/plasmapy) with [call-in information](https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=plasmapy)
* Instant messaging: [Matrix](https://app.element.io/#/room/#plasmapy:openastronomy.org) and [Gitter](https://gitter.im/PlasmaPy/Lobby)
* [GitHub Minutes Repository](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/plasmapy-project/tree/master/minutes)
* ["Community" Sub-directory](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/plasmapy-project/tree/master/minutes/_community)
* [PlasmaPy on GitHub](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/plasmapy) ([pull requests](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/plasmapy/pulls), [issues](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/plasmapy/issues))
* [PlasmaPy Enhancement Proposals on GitHub](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy-PLEPs)
* [PlasmaPy Google Calendar](https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=bzVsb3ZkcW0zaWxsam00ZTlrMDd2cmw5bWdAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ)
## Agenda (please feel free to edit or add items)
2. 10-15 minutes for roadmap
* drafting [roadmap](https://hackmd.io/@plasmapy/ry0mmnj6v/edit)
3. solicit "Project Issues"
4. Creating a `plasmapy-sphinx` documentation package
* should be a long term goal
* our own adaption of `sphinx_automodapi` (which I [Erik] will discuss)
5. Tagging PR titles (e.g. WIP, PROTO, proposal, etc.)
* thoughts, usefulness, etc.
* Should we pick it up as a common habit or just let it happen when it happens?
* Related possibility: GitHub labels
* update from this week's Python in Heliophysics Community mtg
1. [#1097](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/issues/1097) Formulary organization
10. Pull requests in progress
1. ~~[PR 923](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/923): Test Helpers #4~~
2. [PR 974](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/974): Thomson Scattering fitting
* waiting on lite functions and, as a consequence, improved documentation with PlasmaPy's adaption of `automodapi`
3. [PR 978](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/978): nuclear cross-sections & rates
4. [PR 979](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/979): Relativistic Boris Pusher
5. [PR 1000](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1000): Paschen Curve
6. [PR 1010](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1010): `Species` class, take 2
7. [PR 1057](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1057): `@particle_input` refactor
8. [PR 1062](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1062): pydocstyle
9. [PR 1084](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1084): Chandrasekhar G function
10. [PR 1085](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1085): Optimizing formulary functions
11. [PR 1091](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1091): `SymbolicEquilibrium` (early WIP)
12. [PR 1093](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1093): Refactor out `run_test`, `run_test_equivalent_calls`
13. [PR 1095](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1095): Greeter bot for new contributors
14. [PR 1096](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1096): ParticleTracker refactoring (again!)
15. [PR 1098](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1098): Framework for "lite"-weight formulary functions
16. [PR 1100](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1100): Create sphinx directive `automod_aliases`
11. Pull requests **MERGED**
1. [PR 1094](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/1094): Add stale bot for PR
## Action Items
> * Open "Project Issue" on the distribution functions
> * refine roadmap for next weeks discussion
> * add OMFIT to affiliated pkgs
* Keep reviewing [PR 1000]
* waiting on refactor before adding RTD stuff
* determine status for Khalil's old PRs
* open an Issue for a lexicon of formulary parameters...physical parameter being represented, parameter symbol, docstring description
* ~~Create PR for speeding up `validate_quantities`~~ Moving to "lite" functions instead
> * add feedback to roadmap items "Transport" and "Particle Tracker"
> * Write tests, check formula for [PR 979](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/979) - "Relativistic Boris Pusher"
> * started on this
> * PR on `plasmapy.plasma.geometry` for [exact Solov'ev equlibrium with an arbitrary boundary](https://arxiv.org/pdf/1908.04449.pdf)
* Investigate GitHub Actions new contributor bot for automatically adding comments for new contributors adding a PR (or the like).
* message to users that checks don't need to pass right away (we'll work together to get things refined)
* how to run pre-commit `isort` and `black`
* Review [PR 923](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/pull/923)
> * add feedback to roadmap items "Workshop" and "Simulations"
* put some effort towards the dev guide
* Take back up forming simulation working group
* Email reminder for Hackathon meeting on Friday
* Documentation magic
* further work from #1100
* our own sphinx extensions
* plasmapy-sphinx package?
* most redone from automodapi
* but also made easier to extend; converted function to classes;
* drop-in replaces astropy extension with ours
* currently: automodsum2 + stub file generation
* closer to sphinx style than astropy extension is!
* `:groups: all` (classes, functions, variables, )
* `:groups: modules` planned but not working right now
* lite functions, aliases grouped using `__flites__`, `__aliases__` dunders that work exactly like `__all__`
* extensible; eventually configurable through conf.py
* could potentially obsolete our `api_static` directory
* goes far enough to be breaking from astropy version
* might eventually upstream to astropy's automodapi, but by default, offered as a separate thing
* Erik hopes to have it done in the coming week
* will close #1100, open up a new one
* Peter wants to wait with Thompson stuff for that; no rush
* cheers to Derek, current user of the PR branch
* "Erik's OCD is a powerful natural resource that we should exploit"
* PR labels/WIP/PROTO tags
* Erik: "`Prototype` is not necessarily up for merging; just to convey or demonstrate an idea"
* labels are hard to visually grep
* emoji are a possible visual identifier;
* proposal label for issues?
* heliophysics package
* stitches packages together
* Rebecca (posted a few months ago) [kamodofied plasmapy functions (common format)](https://github.com/rebeccaringuette/KamodofyPlasmaPy)
* issue that came up: if there's a latex symbol "attached" to a function, they could use it and automatically render
* is there a prev implementation of that?
* `__latex_str__` attribute? could be useful outside of kamodo
* [link to PyHC telecon video](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QhjwCAw7AgZUVLYbaRvX31hPUQajwyM-/view?usp=sharing)
* Peter has been dealing with classical transport recently; wanted to implement Epperlein-Haines?
* [Issue #311](https://github.com/PlasmaPy/PlasmaPy/issues/311) from March 2018
* We should definitely have a `formulary/transport` subpackage
* need to keep Peter in the loop! Nick also wants to be part of the discussion
* Level 5 project issue with a checklist for multiple transport models etc
* keeping data in the package - moving from polynomial fits, towards lookup tables?
* storing data in...?
* @StanczakDominik TODO: how to host an open scientific database?
* David's undergraduates working on the calculator - might need a dynamic site