# Community building study group
:loudspeaker: → **[Agenda for meeting #0](#Meeting-zero-agenda)** ← :loudspeaker:
## Who's interested?
Add your name and a few details about you below...
- *Name / Pronouns / Organisation / Role / Social media etc*
- Jez Cope / he, him / The British Library / Data Services Lead / :elephant: [@email@example.com](https://scholar.social/@petrichor); :bird: [@jezcope](https://twitter.com/jezcope); :fox_face: [jezcope](https://gitlab.com/jezcope); :octopus: [jezcope](https://github.com/jezcope)
- Emily Lewis / she, her / UCL / PhD student / :bird: [@esllewis](https://twitter.com/esllewis)
- Yo Yehudi / they, she / Wellcome Trust & Open Life Science / Open source tech lead / :elephant: [@firstname.lastname@example.org](https://scholar.social/@yoyehudi); :bird: [@yoyehudi](https://twitter.com/yoyehudi); :fox_face: [yochannah](https://gitlab.com/yochannah); :octopus: [yochannah](https://github.com/yochannah)
- Malvika / she/her
- Rachael Ainsworth / she, her / Software Sustainability Institute / Community Manager / :bird: [@rachaelevelyn](https://twitter.com/rachaelevelyn); :octopus: [rainsworth](https://github.com/rainsworth)
- Gary Leeming / he, him / University of Liverpool / Civic Data Co-op / :bird: [@grazulis](https://twitter.com/grazulis)
- Aleksandra Nenadic / she, her / Software Sustainability Institute, University of Manchester / :bird: [@aleks_nenadic](https://twitter.com/aleks_nenadic); :octopus: [anenadic](https://github.com//anenadic)
- Boris Adryanm / he, him / Merck Healthcare KGaA / Digital Academy Lead / :bird: [@BorisAdryan](https://twitter.com/BorisAdryan)
- Martin Donnelly, currently unaffiliated (will join if home-schooling duties permit!)
- Sarah Mount / she/her / Beautiful Canoe (Aston) / CTO / :bird: [@snim2](https://twitter.com/snim2)
Add your thoughts and suggestions here.
- [Mozilla "Building a movement from home" community calls](https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/new-movement-building-home-community-calls/)
- [Mozilla Open Leadership Training Series](https://mozilla.github.io/open-leadership-training-series/)
- [Open Life Science programme](https://openlifesci.org/) :blue_heart::green_heart:
- [Community Canvas](https://community-canvas.org/)
- [Open Canvas](https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_eya6vVXpaZOpXFZsZNbVHboROI4IPWy-poCnYTNtnQ/edit#slide=id.p)
- Academic works
- Wenger, Etienne. [Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity](http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1089403756), 2018.
- Wenger, Etienne, Richard A McDermott, and William Snyder. [Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge](http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/699815657). Boston, Mass.: Harvard Business School Press, 2010.
## Meeting zero: agenda
Date & time
: Tuesday 16 February, 16:00-17:00
: **We moved to Zoom:** https://zoom.us/j/94047138409
- Personal goals/wants from a study group
- [name=Yo Yehudi] I'd love to move more evidence-based practice into place, rather than anecdotal experiences and hand-me-downs from others - or possibly even figure out how to design an evidence-based study on communities withouts ruining community dynamics.
- [name=Gary Leeming] I'm starting to build a data co-operative in Liverpool. I'm interested in collaborative approaches that bring in people from differnet communities.
- [name=Boris Adryan] In my current role, I'm responsible for the 'teaching' of digital skills to about 15k employees. As 'top-down' hasn't worked for us, we're currently thinking into building independently operating communities of practice, with the hope that they will organise their own learning journeys into relevant skills. And... ...it's hard.
- [name=Jez Cope] I've done a little bit of reading of the academic stuff on Communities of Practice (Wenger *et al*) and I'd love to have a discussion of how to turn that into practice, like a community-building version of ["How Learning Works" (Ambrose et al)](http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/762968489)
- [name=Aleks Nenadic]: to pick up general community building best practice and apply to the Carpentry training community meetings I've started recently
- Discussion notes
- Useful at minimum to meet maybe once a month to discuss our own struggles & progress
- Practical suggestions: e.g. coffee budget, informal breaks
- Issues that we could discuss
- Incentivise new members
- Periodically have a reading (article/chapter) to discuss
- Have at least one person to "lead" who's read it, but no pressure for everyone else!
- Format & logistics
4pm, 3rd Tuesday of the month
Who will chair -
- can propose a reading
- can invite speakers
- can propose dicussion topic
- 16 March - Yo
- 20 April - Mario
- 18 May - Jez
- 15 June - Rachael
- 20 July - Aleks
- 17 August - Sarah
- 21 September - Emily
- 19 October - Boris
- 16 November
- 21 December (if that's not too close to Christmas...)
- Set up Google Calendar
- Slackbot reminder syntax: ```/remind #channel "message" on 1 aug 9am```
- [Everyone] Think about issues you've come up against, successes you've had, anything you'd like input on (bullet points if that helps!)
- [RA] to set up recurring Zoom room - done, see below
SSI Community is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Community Building Study Group
Time: Mar 16, 2021 16:00 London
Every month on the Third Tue, until Dec 21, 2021, 10 occurrence(s)
Mar 16, 2021 16:00
Apr 20, 2021 16:00 (Mario)
May 18, 2021 16:00 (Jez)
Jun 15, 2021 16:00 (Rachael)
Jul 20, 2021 16:00 (Aleks)
Aug 17, 2021 16:00 (Sarah)
Sep 21, 2021 16:00 (Emily)
Oct 19, 2021 16:00 (Boris)
Nov 16, 2021 16:00
Dec 21, 2021 16:00
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 824 6754 8278