# July 20th 2021
# Cloud Custodian (C7n) Community Meeting Minutes
###### tags: `Meeting`
- **Meeting URL:** [meet.google.com/mii-evqh-esh](meet.google.com/mii-evqh-esh)
- **Date:** July 13th, 2021 (2:00 PM (ET) / 11:00 PM (PT) / 6PM (UTC))
- **[Timezone Converter (Click me)](https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20210629T180000&p1=tz_et&p2=tz_pt&p3=22&p4=240&p5=136&p6=176&p7=37&p8=248)**
- **Host:** Jorge Castro
- - **Meeting Contact:** Jorge: <email@example.com>
- **Video Link:**
- **Board**: [Community Board](https://github.com/cloud-custodian/community/projects/1)
- Jorge Castro
- Marco Ceppi
- AJ Kerrigan
- Sonny Shi
- Travis Stanfield
- Kapil Thangavelu
- Wayne Witzel III
- Jamison Roberts
- Pratyush Mishra
- Todd Stansell
- Kyle Johnson
- Liz Acosta
## Agenda Items
- Introduction [@castrojo]`5m`
- Kick off items [@castrojo] `5m`
- Meta: How the meeting will work, where to find notes, etc.
- Calendar things, time slot, etc.
- [Community Repo](https://github.com/cloud-custodian/community)
- [Community Project Board](https://github.com/cloud-custodian/community/projects/1)
- Agenda Items `15m`
- Enhancements/Feature Process [@kapilt]
- First proposal will be the process for this process
- No movement on this this week, working on active PRs instead.
- Policy Testing ([spec](https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/issues/6407)) [@marcoceppi]
- Collaborate with community members to bootstrap
- Kapil: Doesn't need to be one PR, it can be incremental, doesn't need to land as one ginormous PR, it's better to just trickle it in based on a spec.
- Kapil: One backlog item against c7n: https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/5250
- Slack (@castrojo) - Proposal to propose a plan to migrate to the CNCF Slack from gitter
- At least 30 days, there's enterprise companies who use c7n.
- We've gotten feedback that it is blocked at many enterprise orgs that are using c7n.
- Liz: Can we modify gitter so that it's easier to use like slack?
- Communities pros and cons: there's more than one channel! AJ only discovered this, perhaps using channels might be a good idea?
- Supports social auth.
- Jorge to investigate multiple channels in gitter. Liz: some tips on how to use it might be useful.
- Jamison: Search is painful
- Possibly extract common questions from the week and feed them to the doc jam session to build documentation for
- Sonny: For discussions, how is the SEO?
- Regular weekly doc session [@liz-acosta]
- Liz and Jorge will do a hour-a-week to contribute to the documentation
- We'll do it in a video call, like a mini sprint, etc.
- If any of you have a pain point you've run into recently that could be a focus for the week.
- Have maintainers ping us if they run into an issue where they feel the docs could have been better so we can focus on it and fix it relatively quickly
- This makes my OSS dopamine buzz kick in.
- Kapil: We need more of a narrative tutorial
- Jorge: It reads like a dictionary sometimes, not a manual.
- Sonny: Integrate some videos! (Great idea) - someone watched my Kubecon EU video and said it was useful
- Pull Request Party `15m`
- Spare/Extra time will be dedicated to PR reviews.
- @kapilt - Priority backlog for the cloud providers.
- GCP provider maintainer update?
:mag: PR Review
- cplee - App AutoScaling https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6548
- MERGED! :tada:
- aq17 - GCP IAM filter https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6771
- [Prior PR](https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/compare/master...kapilt:gcp-iam-filter?expand=1)
- (@kapilt) - GCP familiar folks welcome to take a look.
- kapilt - GCP Folder https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6557
- Needs more unit tests so it can pass CI - @kapilt
- No change this week
- AWS Contrib Docs - Code Cov status failed https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6616
- Needs help figuring out why codeconv is causing CI failures
- @marcoceppi will volunteer to help out
- @kapil - merged! :tada:
- Metrics - and associated PR https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/issues/6301
- @ajkerrigan to take a look
- Automatic Layers for AWS Policies https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/3886
- Needs a rethink but in general we want to do this, there's a number of issues around this.
- tjstansell - Convert tags https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6691
- Do we need this? Oneliners in the filters/actions swapped out for additional complexity in a function. Tags are endemic to the resource itself, and it’s only considered once when writing the filter or action
- PratMis - aws.codedeploy | application and deployment https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6806
### Backlog for next time
- kylejohnson514 - CEL Implementation for Filtering https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/6469
Dynamodb value filter integration
- Lambda policy support destinations - https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/pull/5250
If we have time
- Value Item Array Filter - https://github.com/cloud-custodian/cloud-custodian/issues/6797
:mag: Issue Review
:closed_book: Action Items
- [ ] @castrojo to investigate a c7n-level gsuite doc/org?
- [ ] @castrojo fix meeting invite to point to a future proof meeting URL
- [ ] @castrojo @marcoceppi - Start a weekly meeting wrt. Policy testing.
- [ ] @castrojo Investigate more channels in gitter, see if we can do less friction.
- [ ] @castrojo Investigations videos section in README.md
## Chat Log from Google Meet
Marco Ceppi: Hey John :wave:
John Hillegass: Hey Wayne and Sonny :wave:
Sonny Shi: :wave:
Wayne Witzel III: hey hey :wave:
Liz Acosta: they're doing a fire alarm inspection of my apartment so super distracting!
Liz Acosta: +1 would like to be involved too!
AJ Kerrigan: the gitter/matrix integration does help some with search, and i would expect matrix (or element specifically) to be more useful over time.
Liz Acosta: +1000
Liz Acosta: also creates empowerment : )
Liz Acosta: so many good ideas here!
AJ Kerrigan: if it's specifically q&a, possibly worth extracting to the custodian stack overflow tag?
AJ Kerrigan: kind of awkward/manual, but there's a chicken/egg problem around stack overflow
Kapil Thangavelu: i've never seen a google search lead to a discussion answer..
Kapil Thangavelu: but could just the projects i'm searching for
Liz Acosta: narrative! yes!
Liz Acosta: big time beginner mind here lol
John Hillegass: Hadn't considered quality of discussions SEO before. Seems like there are some tricks to help out with it. Might not work as well as StackOverflow though. https://github.com/github/feedback/discussions/3318
Liz Acosta: there are always seo tricks lol (also former social media manager here)
Todd Stansell: personally, github search in general frustrates me :)
Sonny Shi: @John interesting re SEO on discussions, I'm certainly no SEO expert but looks like there may be some solutions here on making it more discoverable
John Hillegass: Agreed! Good thing @Liz sounds like a social media wiz
Liz Acosta: basically i am a liz of all trades
Liz Acosta: gotta bounce y'all! what a great meeting!!! thank u all for attending <3 i look forward to getting to know y'all more ^_^