# Working Doc - Follow ups with Suresh and Mirzapur peers
1) Suresh and team made a list of the needy people mostly NREGA labours whom they wanted to help during the lockdown. Intially they could help 40-60 people and every other day they targeted 20-25 people.
2) Few recordings were collected during the lockdown to understand labours situation and stories around the migrant workers. [link to the recordings] Suresh felt few recordings benefitted him instantly and helped the labourers.
3) The benefits from the government is not reaching every labourers. 1K announced for the NREGA labours is deposited to only those whose are working for 3years and their adhar card was linked with the bank. But the labourers who don’t get work or not picked up for work don’t get anything.
4) Rations that government is supplying has not reached the villages untill april 2nd since the lockdown was announced. And whatever has arrived doen’t meet requirement.
4) Initially Suresh and team supplied Rice, Wheat flour, Toor dal, masala, salt, sugar, mustard oil, potato,soya bean, biscuit, detergent cake, nirma detergent powder, match box. Then after the ration started reaching the village they supplied other daily needs. Toor dal, masala, salt, sugar, mustard oil, potato,soya bean, biscuit, detergent cake, nirma detergent powder, match box. Government was giving only 15kg rice and 10kg flour.
6) Village heads and organizations who could help didn’t come forward. So Suresh and team had to ask help from outside the territory.
7) After the nizamuddin tablighi case came into light, the communal harmony was disturped even more and no people wanted to help the majdoor muslims in the village. The needy muslims were not included the priority list, free rations were not provided and there were harrasements on them. Suresh team identified all these people and supplied them with the necessaities. Even they targeted harijans who were denied from the supplies.
8) The rations that were supplied Suresh felt that it will not have enough nutrition to the pregant womans, new mothers. For example instead of toor dal, green peas was supplied by some group. Toor dal which is rich in proteins and fibres is must for these womans.
9) Government says keep social distancing. With all the curfews in the village, lighting lamp event, or family living in small houses(say 5-6) without proper kits like mask, sanitizer,etc.. social distancing will be hard and not a benefit too.
10) First death in Varnasi was observed. A diabetic patient from Gangapur passed away due to Covid-19. His infection came into light only after postmortem and whole village is quarantined. Suresh feels if ontime tests were conducted in every village, this wouldn’t have happened. More panic around the villages now.
11) Suresh started to make DIY masks from the ladies around his village. He wants to include with the supplies that he is distributing as there are huge shortage of masks. Planned to make 1000-2000 masks. Looking for contributers to the materials.
12) From his experience and personal story(details in the report) he says these:
a) Keep doing the good work and good deeds will come to you by itself.
b) Whatever money I collect from others it is utilized for the community work. I never think to utilize a penny for my personal use. This is my passion and whoever works with such passion, some or the other will definetly come to hold you and lift you up during the struggle.
c) Everything was possible because of the team work. Where there is strong team, good work is possible. Whatever we achieved in 5years is b’cos of the good team we have.