# What a DAO is
A DAO is an autonomous organization governed by hardcoded rules that lives on the internet,
* with access to a shared pool of assets and funds that is managed remotely
* with the control being distributed among it's members
* coordinated by achieving collective consensus.
## What a DAO is not
* is not an organisation with the control being held or governed by a single authority.
* is not run by a set of rules passed by some board of directors.
* cannot live offchain.
* is not managed with hardcopied agreements or official papers.
* won't have it's assets & funds directly or solely managed by a single entity.
* cannot pass on rules or decisions without acheiving greater consensus.
* will not impose hierarchical authority over it's members.
## How a DAO is implemented
A DAO (Decentralized Autonomous Organization) is mainly built with the help of web3 technology, ethereum. And a DAO is characterized mainly by this 3 dominant, distinct and unique characteristics,
A DAO is made autonomous by the use of smart contracts that is precoded with a set of rules for running a DAO without any manual human intervention.
A DAO is made distributed by providing uncensored access to it's resources, assets and funds for all of it's token holders.
A DAO is made decentralized by eliminating sole control over it's actions and achieving consensus through the distribution of voting rights to all of it's members.