# CLI Team * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pulls * Untriaged: https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ATriage-needed * CI Check: https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/actions/workflows/nightly.yml ## "Interesting" branches * 0.14 (katello packaged) * 0.25 (current release) ## Pending action items * [mdellweg] gather tested operation-ids. ## Agenda ## Upcoming * [ON HOLD] For discussion: should we be at 1.0 now? * let's not until import/export rework is merged * not yet - deadlock investigation intervened * Review supported workflows docs. # 2024 ## June 5 * Discussion about supported workflow coverage * `pulp debug openapi operation-ids` tells you all the id's. * We could itercept `PulpContext.call` and report all the "used" id's in the tests. * That comparison should give us a broad overview. ## May 8 * looks like plugins all support 0.25 now ## Apr 10 * docs updates in progress * discuss what pulpcore branches do we support/want to support/need to support * Sat-6.12 : core/3.18 * Sat-6.13 : core/3.21 * Sat-6.14 : core/3.22 * Sat-6.15 : core/3.39 * katello/4.13 : core/3.49 * We want to add 3.49 to the test matrix. * We decided to drop 3.21 for it. ## Feb 28 * Convert to new docs-stack - [903](https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/903) * who wants to take this? * should glue ~~continue "under" cli, or~~ be in its own namespace? * glue docs are mostly auto-generated API docs currently * glue is, otoh, used "on its own" in a number of places * consensus: pulp-glue wants to be its own subsection * cli-arch-doc is already about half pulp-glue * versioning? * not in Phase 1 - maybe later * do we want to just link files? * we *can*, but....why? * "new docs" is The Place to make changes/additions going forward * AI: pedro is going to submit PRs * discussion about supported-branches * let's leave things where we are ## Feb 14 * Improve contributor docs. * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/901 * discussion RE auth and headers and Stuff * https://simpleisbetterthancomplex.com/tutorial/2018/11/22/how-to-implement-token-authentication-using-django-rest-framework.html * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/894 ## Jan 31 * eager `--repository` * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/847 ## Jan 17 * discussion on some Unintened Consequences of moving away from setuptools et al * Do we need a "plugin template"? What should it manage? * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/821 * Possible solutions: * Don't put the pwd in a cfg-file - enter on every line :) * teach pulp-cli to require o-rw access on cfg-file or refuse to run * like ssh files * Pulp should provide api tokens. * Maybe with limited access. * CLI: `pulp login` requests and stores a token. * Tokens can be time limited. * Pulp-cli can implement an interface to DBUS secret service. * This brings support for several password managers out of the box. * for example : https://pypi.org/project/SecretStorage/ * could take advantage of server-side sessions, and keep a "cookie jar" around to store them * pulp-cli would behave "more like a browser" (cookie jar) - also, depends on pulp-instance supporting this at the middleware level * note that using cli-shell, you would only enter the pwd once per "session" (I think?) # 2023 ## Dec 6 * katello and bindings and multi-version issues * katello patches bindings post-generation * we're not going to rewrite pulp-glue in ruby * is there a way to do ruby-to-python, so katello can use pulp-glue instead of the bindings? * pybind? * katello could use the CLI as subprocesses * katello could use ansible/squeezer * pulp-glue and docs * we have generated API docs * there needs to be a section on pulp-glue in the CLI docs * work is in-progress * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/837 * probably do **not** want a separate pulp-glue docs project ## Oct 25 * AI: ggainey to talk to mdellweg RE https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/771 ## Oct 11 * look at translation mechanics in glue * fixed by mdellweg * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/809 * do we want a pulp-glue talk at PulpCon? * could be dkliban talking about using it in pulp-replicator? * AI: mdellweg to ask dkliban if he'd like to do such a thing * what would the focus of such a talk be? * 30 min, DEV oriented * what is it? * why is it? * where is it already in use? * quick example of using it? * compare to doing same in bindings? * glue-support for some plugins live in diff packages (eg, ostree, maven, gem) - lib is extensible * lookit the cool updates to the docs-page! * https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulp_cli/ * pulp-glue API ref * choose version from top-left * reorganized ## Aug 16 * import/export work is alive again * [ggainey] report back at next mtg * Question: do we delete old release branches. * older than 0.19? * 0.19 is first with new release process * 0.14 packaged for katello * because there's already a 0.14.1 * 0.21.2 is latest-branch * conditional "yes" * keep 0.14 and 0.21 * if we want to release on 0.14, will need the new release-process backported * installing CLI in same container as pulpcore Fun * pip is dumb * use the rpm dist * install into a virtenv * discussion w/ downstream around avoiding cross-version-conversations with client-bindings (not pulp-cli related) * pulp-glue exists for exactly this reason * except Ruby :( ## Aug 2 * release-workflow-improvements - DONE * 0.20.2 released w/ "fix" for pyyaml/cython problem * release-process needs a bit of tweaking - retry coming #soon * patchback now works on pulp-cli! * pulp-cli release-workflow now looks a lot more like everything else in /pulp/ * will use experience here, to improve experience in pulpcore/plugins * click-8.1.4+ lint issues - DONE * python-3.12 is incoming (to release in Oct) - be prepared * A lot of versions of the CLI seem to be uninstallable for the PyYAML build issues. * 0.18.2 is the oldest working one. Should we yank all older from pypi? * prob should poke RPM Build Gang to RPM-ize something newer than 0.14.0 * Are we ready / Do we need to declare supported branches for the CLI? * discussion ensues * maybe let's not borrow trouble - don't worry about unless/until a stakeholder tells us they need specific branches * Improve how a ca_cert is passed to pulp-glue * currently supported only via ca-bundle-support from request-module * dkliban to write up an issue * make sure it is available in the cli-profile setup * can we think of ways to make this a not-breaking change? Do we even care? * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/758 ## Jun 8 * core and plugins have added features that haven't been exposed to cli * mini-teams should prob review and add issues (at least) to pulp-cli to get this work surfaced * pulp_gem plugin * cli-support should be moved to pulp/ org * pulp-cli needs to support all the branches in pulp-oci-image * what about pulp-maven? * no support currently * pulp-cli docs need another update review/work * esp docs "for us", as opposed to "how to use pulp-cli" for users * let's start thinking of higher-level/wizard/workflow commands that could be added to pulp-cli - get some RFEs open? * example: a single cmd to create remote/repo/sync/publish/distribute * squeezer and automation * can we finish the use-pulp-glue pieces? * how many plugins does squeezer currently support? ## Apr 12 * squeezer PR is desperate need of More Eyes * https://github.com/pulp/squeezer/pull/106 * Even if you're not An Expert * `pulp publication list` is broken. * [ggainey] to write an issue * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/665 ## Mar 29 * not much progress to report this week * api-quirks discussion * AI: [mdellweg] open an actual issue * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/658 * RE import/export CLI state * don't deprecate current/half-baked impl, just replace it * discussion RE pulp_python and import/export support * waiting on submitter ## Mar 15 * API quirks * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/647#pullrequestreview-1340118039 * We should move these (if entity specific) to their corresponding contexts. This will allow plugins to add their specifics. ## Mar 1 * For discussion: should we be at 1.0 now? * ~~let's not till pulp-glue is merged~~ * let's not until import/export rework is merged * look at translation mechanics in glue * revisit at our next mtg * Prio-list? * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/631 [DONE] * Pulp-maven - separate repo or part of pulp-cli? * maven is part of container-image * put it under pulp_maven? - **no** * cli talks to multiple versions * should have its own release-cycle * separate repo? * "not part of official images" - takes more work if it's in pulp-cli * access/control of another group (eg pulp-deb) * demonstrate to other projects that you can have cli-plugins * [dkliban] will create plugin-repo for this, give all of us access * Replication commands * challenge: needs a pulpcore release * can teach CLI "this functionality requires 3.23.dev" * don't forget to add skip-clause to tests * domains cli-PR - will get a proper review #asap * cli-cfg-per-domain support discussion * conflict between what pulp-replication needs, and what domains-cli-PR is currently doing * dkliban/gerrod to get together and discuss later today ## FEB 15 * Out of free-to-take prio-list items * let's not add any till pulp-glue is merged * For discussion: should we be at 1.0 now? * let's not till pulp-glue is merged * let's not until import/export rework is merged * revisit at our next mtg * Filtering repositories by content * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/631 * comment added by ggainey * https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/rfc-reunite-the-library-that-drives-pulp-cli-and-squeezer/262 * ggainey to raise w/ katello/pulp/build integration mtg * AI: [dkliban] talk to pcreech/zhunting/odilon RE details * we want pulp-glue to be released in pulp-cli/0.17, talk about pulp-cli/1.0 **after** that ## JAN 18 * Set up CodeQL here? https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/security/code-scanning * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/612 * [DONE] * 3.22 images still pending for CI to use it. * ggainey to open filesystem-exporter-support issue * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/619 * import/export commands for pulp/fs need to be made unified and sane * ggainey to write up and ping for feedback # 2022 ## Nov 23 ## Happened inbetween * There are A LOT of changes since 0.15, and a lot of things closed by not in 0.16 milestone - Release Soon pliz? [DONE] ## Oct 26 * nightly shows a lot of deprecation/nodejs upgrade warnings - let's fix these * is this a plugin-template Thing to fix? * Maybe we need to update some GH actions. * [ggainey] open a plugin-template issue * https://github.com/pulp/plugin_template/issues/711 * fao89 fixed it * [ggainey] nodejs only happens in pulp-cli - investigate why * x9c4 updated a bunch of deps and we're clear now! * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/actions/runs/3342655095 ## Jul 6 * AI: ggainey to take over [PR 485] * AI: ggainey to nudge ppicka RE [PR 507] * AI: mdellweg to respond to https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/509 ## Mar 16 * label:triaged? or new issues get label:Triage-Needed? - Use the new label - Adjust the issue templates first - ggainey AI : [PR 487](https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/487) * look for PR-template, point to our "how to contribute" docs - ggainey AI : [PR 487](https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/487) ## Mar 02 * automerge discussion * disappointed in GH * will leave AM turned on (does no harm) * dismissal of reviews on change will be kept on * takeaway: be agressive about pushing the merge button * if it's green - Do It! * whoever pushes the button, isn't liable for bad reviews * still implies "do not Approve PR unless you're willing for it to be merged **immediately** " * What about a Release 0.14.0? Yes! * moved outstanding issues to 0.15.0 ## Feb, 16 * Implement automerge on approved PRs? * Approve must be final * A change must dismiss any approval * request-for-change must be able to be reset/accepted by :the next reviewer", whoever that is * and the approving-reviewer is on the hook to do it! * Rules for auto-merge: * 1 approval * CI is green * no merge-conflicts * PR not in draft * if approved, and PR author removes Draft - automerge immediately? * Can we agree on a standard for "DO NOT APPROVE/MERGE THIS" in PR commit-message? * if applied in check-pr workflow, needs to reject merging AFTER CI runs * so it doesn't cancel CI like lint does * Timeline/to-do * x9c4 to experiment * switch next Weds 23-FEB? * Discussion RE container and differences in some commands from other plugins * Example: modify allows base-version, but NOT in container * should the command-name be same, even when "standard" arguments are not? * OR should command-name be plugin-specific even when most args are similar? * gerrod to sync up w/ ipanova to discuss and bring back to next mtg # 2021 ## Oct, 27 * different content is different (rpm) so it may need to go into different command groups * polymorphy around the "--type" parameter looks like a mess * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/407 * AI: ggainey to do POC of a different approach by next mtg * Pulp shell would be super useful if you could `cd` into a context * also capturing output for further processing would be nice * Yay feature matrix * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/404 * Please comment on the format ## Oct, 13 * Squeezer is currently built on the premise that it has no external dependencies, but reusing the openapi.py between the two projects may bring a lot of maintenance benefit. What would be the impact of having the squeezer collection depend on pulp-cli? * This may need more thinking about impacts. * No timeline for a change like this. * Should we rename the base branch to main? * Let's do this for consistency * [mdellweg] to change the name. Done. ## Sep 29 * Reviewers: Please make sure every new user facing string gets a `_()`. * Also we should gradually fix all the others we stumble over. * State of the translation experiment * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/328 * We are currently testing the CLI with pulpcore 3.11 - 3.15. Are we ready to drop any workarounds for <=3.10 ? * Should we also install a global `needs_plugin("core", "3.11")` so users are aware and may use older versions? * make sure we can at least update the cached-schema if current is "too old" to run the command * the only significant potential consumer of pulp-cli pre-core-3.11 is Sat6.9, which is using core-3.7. * the current pulp-cli functionality serves that need just fine * +1 for 0.12 advancing the pulpcore requirement to 3.11+ * If needed desperately, we could make a 0.11 branch that even runs it's CI with core-3.7 as a target and accept backport PRs * OSTree support - prob wants/needs to be its own package * see the current (incomplete) state of deb-support for an example * need an oci-image that includes 'external' plugins for testing ## Sep 15 * Nightly test is failing * this is failing for async orm incompatibilities * Should start working again with https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/1622 * container rebuild has been triggered * Where to add ostree support? * No strong opinions * pulp_deb would like to see another external plugin * To improve support of external plugins ## Sep 1 * Certguard plugin * should certguard commands be separate from core package? * how to deal with commands placement * pulp content-guard rbac ... +1 +1+1 * pulp cert-guard -t rhsm ... * 3 month planning in 2 weeks * some FTEs may be freed up - do we want to raise cli-prio? * content for rpm/ansible? * ggainey AI - submit PR to generalize string/@ behavior * filtering (for existing cmds) would be good * field-selectivity can wait since you can be selective w/ jq after the fact ## Aug 19 * pulp-cli-deb * Introduction to quba42 * transfer of the repo to pulp namespace; adding the pulp/debian team * [mdellweg, davidd] * upload to PyPi; add quba42 to that package * pulp_rpm workflow docs still use httpie * a good candidate for docs-day * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/9259 * same for pulp_container * Docs day * General organization (structure, outline); probably before docs day * Get the user started; point to workflow docs * dev-user-hat needs "pip install -e ." * pip-comfortable user needs pip-install * rpm-comfortable user needs to know how to dnf-install * Improve "how to add commands" * Reminder: self-assign issues or check issue assignment * unassignment _is_ possible * check that github correctly links PR and issue * assign issues to next-milestone please? * can we do this as part of the merge-workflow? ## Aug 04 * Time slot for this meeting * We get into conflicts quite often; can we move this meeting to a more stable slot? * Feature gaps (e.g. lack of content commands) are problematic * Translations * How do we proceed? * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/328 ## July 21 * We need to rethink dependency version pinning * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/commit/d3491ef903a4d166124f546faee326851d29ab47#r52911382 ### July 07 * ~~0.10.0 please!~~ * ~~preferably on new-click-shell/click-8~~ * released * ~~where are we wrt package-namespace issue?~~ * done - rpms are built! * https://yum.theforeman.org/pulpcore/3.14/el8/x86_64/python3-pulp-cli-0.10.1-1.el8.noarch.rpm * Evgeni++ !!! * Gave Grant the button to force merge * Also added gerrod to the cli team * [david] set up templates for Github Issues * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/276 * we need a documentationm push, badly * redo workflows using CLI examples * better user-docs for CLI * create feature-gap matrix to help community drive priorities (give to Mel?) ### June 23 * Github Issue templates https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/templates/edit * Offers some neat features like automatically assign labels * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/267 * mypy (0.900) changed the policy that you need to install typing packages explicitly * The shipped typing package for click (7.1.2) seems to be missing some types * click-shell still doesn't support click 8 * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/issues/256 * Use community fork https://github.com/clarkperkins/click-shell/issues/30#issuecomment-864613900 ### June 9, 2021 * Packaging on Rhel/Centos 7 may not work with namespaced packages * Maybe we cannot use namespaced packages ### May 26, 2021 * click 8 * we are not yet there * click-shell * waiting on https://github.com/clarkperkins/click-shell/pull/31 * bash completion stops working * daviddavis to file a click-8 issue * mypy linting is hard to impossible to fix for 7 and 8 simultaneously * Evgeni has reported strange problems with old setuptools * They struggle hard with namespace packages * I would love to get some final review on this: * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/161 * I want to base capabilities (primarily for pie code) on it * mkdocs, publish them to docs.pulpproject.org? * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/247 ### May 12, 2021 * Click 8 (just released) breaks click_shell * https://github.com/clarkperkins/click-shell/pull/29 * We decided to pin all dependencies to major versions at least * and cut a release with it * https://github.com/ryanlayer/ssshtest * Look at bats * https://opensource.com/article/19/2/testing-bash-bats * https://github.com/sstephenson/bats * Eric mentioned that in the Katello world the cli should be used with caution for any non-read-only operation * https://community.theforeman.org/t/how-to-install-pulp-admin-on-rhel7-foreman-2-4-katello-4-0-0/23527/11 * We could add a flag that asks for confirmation * Katello could configure the dry-run option * we may need to add `--no-dry-run` acutally as `--force` * [x9c4] Make a PR ### April 28, 2021 * Should we support plugin schema api changes? * Absolutely * We are doing it with `has_plugin` ### April 15, 2021 * Release 0.8.0 * Moving items to 0.9.0 milestone ### March 31, 2021 * We plan to create a feature gap matrix * Feature, endpoint, plugin, implemented?, implementable?, priority * Discuss (asynchronously) a release date for 0.8.0 next wednesday * [mdellweg] start the thread ### March 17, 2021 * Better classification of options * I realized, we have three different types of options referring to objects: * filter options (used for list_command) * lookup options (used for show, update, destroy) * resource options (used in update, create, sync, ... to reference other options) * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/161 * I see some potential for each of them to make the actual command definition even more descriptive than today. * Easier command chaining/sequences * Common workflows produce an href that needs to be manually copied to be inspected or used in other commands. (publish, sync) * Suggestion: have Pulp context store output of previous command and have it be referencable through new resource language * `pulp file publication create --repository foo` * `pulp file distribution create --publication p:href ...` * `pulp -b file repository sync --name foo` * `pulp task show --href p:task` * Reference language could use it's context features to have common shorthands, aka p:pulp_href == p:href, p:latest_version_href == p:latest * This would need a notion of a session * Maybe we can implement a pulp-shell ### March 3, 2021 * 3 month planning - March 17 * complete RPM and container commands * install CLI in pulp_installer dev boxes * [daviddavis] file against the installer ### February 17, 2021 * Tracking Katello issues? * GH Labels it is [x9c4] * How do we reference objects (like repos on a publication, or an exporter)? * We should have a common language * There must be a way to specify the object plugin and type * `[[app_label:]type:]name` * If the name has colons: `::name:with:colons` * `/pulp/api/repositories/<app_label>/<type>/pk` * use --repository-href * Are there forbidden characters for the name, we can use? * Migration support - https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/142 * Yay! * We do not have the migration_plugin in the container * This is skipped in all CI tests * Should we separate it and run tests in a special way? * separating is good if someone wants to own it * It allows for separate installation * Do we want to use vcrpy to tests with prerecorded server communication? * Can we test it at least nightly in the migration_plugin CI? * Try this [daviddavis] * [x9c4] Im happy to merge based on code review. * I18N * We are in `_`-land * We need to find a way to support translations for plugins * I intend to build extensive Makefile tooling for message extraction and catalog compilation ### Feb 3, 2021 * open PR's - https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pulls * Command Structure * Do we want interspersed arguments (e.g. lookup parameters before the action to perform) (Our current technology should allow both) * **examples** `pulp <settings> file repository -t file --name foo show` `pulp <settings> file repository -t file --name foo update --name bar --description "renamed"` `pulp <settings> file repository -t file --href p/a/v3/repositories/file/file/<uuid>/ version --number 2 show` * **pros:** * this means the name-or-href lookup question will be handled in one place for each resource type * the "same" option can be used for different purposes (lookup vs. payload) * commands for a repository and it's versions start the same way * **cons:** * It can be confusing to know where an option needs to go * Would it be possible for help screens to show all missing options and where they go? * For example, if I run `pulp file repository show --help` it can show me `--name` and btwn `repository` and `show` * collect all parameters at the end (all but settings and type) * **examples** `pulp <settings> file repository -t file show --name foo` `pulp <settings> file repository -t file update --name foo --description "cannot be renamed"` `pulp <settings> file repository -t file update --name foo --new-name bar --description "renamed"` `pulp <settings> file repository -t file repository version show --repository-href p/a/v3/repositories/file/file/<uuid>/ --number 2` * **pros:** * may be more intuitive * consistent with pulp-admin (pulp 2) and hammer * **cons:** * renaming things will become harder this way * What does it mean to change the 'natural key' (eg, 'name') of an entity? * AI: Choose Option 2, send email to list describing what we're doing and why and ask for feedback, revisit in a month * pulp-cli project on redmine - archive? * Issues will not be accessible * AI: daviddavis to archive, fix changelog links to not-point to plan.io anymore * 0.3.0 release * AI: daviddavis to release this week or next * gettext * AI: x9c4 Yes please! at least get us into _() land ### Jan 20, 2021 * open PR's - https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pulls * How do we track issues? * separate project (current: https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp-cli) * add a query to the projects to see the issues * category in pulpcore * Nope * category in every plugin (including pulpcore) * Being the first to move to GHI +1 +1 * daviddavis to do the move * Plugin bootstrapping? * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6620 * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6619 * video demo (see ggainey) * Lazy evaluation (WIP) * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/71 * the goal is to be able to access all help screens with no access to any server * [AI] please comment on the design * User reported feature - https://pulp.plan.io/issues/8120 * This needs some design work around the question "How do we specify a lot of content?". [AI] Please comment on the ticket. ### Jan 6, 2021 * We need a release process +1 * Release on regular basis * Add changelog/towncrier * Do a manual release (0.1), note each step. Then automate. * Create changelog * tag commit * build and push to pypi * Which pulpcore releases should we support? * Starting with 3.9, support 5 y releases back * Follow LTS discussion and adjust based on decision * Some resources can only be fetched by name but they are sometimes returned as hrefs (eg created_resources) * Add an --href (or id?) option to commands that take name * Command needs to validate that the href matches the resource * [daviddavis] file a task * Add a pulp show command that takes an href * Next goals? Anything to discuss before 3 month planning? * user-management? needs user-REST first * [david] email that developers need to file CLI tasks as they add features * pulp_ansible support - offer to gerrod * Satellite wants * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7531 * Valid request * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7683 * This is probably not possible with the REST api atm # 2020 ### Nov-12, 2020 Context: reviewing [PR#27](https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/27/) Attendees: ggainey, x9c4 https://hackmd.io/hPligUXLRhSJBACNYLHNNw * Context classes wrap the api for specific resources * dictionary in common, 'type': ContextClass * see file/repository.py:126, remote-access - would be redirected thru the ContextClass-by-type * plugins would register their contextclasses as part of initialization * add feature-flags to context - eg, "this repository type knows how to be exported' * allow for more general code-paths * Container has multiple repo-types - so it's the first more-complicated entity * debian has multiple publisher-types * discussion RE make_pass_decorators added in PR#27 * removes some of the boilerplate into decorators and signature instead of code - /me cheers wildly! * every subcommand has a Context, every Context has/can have an object Other notes: * what about plugins we don't maintain? * how to give comunity members the ability to extend without being dependent on 'us'? * hybrid approach - 'we' ship lots of support, but can be 'plugged' from outside * see setup.py L18-19 for current pluggability * get ggainey merge-access to pulp-cli (x9c4 to ask daviddavis) * next steps * container-PR is refactoring a lot w/out breaking current interface * let's do the generalized-context-dictionary PR next * THEN refactor exporter/export to use ^^ * would be really handy to have a --dryrun flag - spit out the actual pulp-REST-calls but don't do them * prob need to do the read-only calls to look things up - would not execute the 'unsafe' (PUT/POST/DELETE/PATCH) ### Nov 4, 2020 * pulp_migration support? * No plans to support the migration plugin * User stories * Not really helpful ATM. Write them if you need them. * Dealing with lint/checks * mypy and shellcheck are picky and require ramp up * Factor extra time into estimates * What we have so far * Most pulp_file commands * No content commands * Lots of missing options (eg filters) and no help text * Exporters * Tasks * Artifacts * Orphan cleanup * Stuff to do * Help text * Another plugin (rpm or container) * Recordings * ggainey to demo creating a cli command from scratch * Possible mypy demo? * Help text * Can we grab it from the schema? * david to file ticket (https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7787) ### Oct 22, 2020 * Recorded talk? * How to write a CLI command * AI: ggainey to work on exporter commands and create presentation based on this work * Timeframe: before end of November * Adding type annotations * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/15 * [david] will review and merge * Settings feature has been merged * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli#configuration * Planning for next quarter? * Create a 0.1.0 release milestone in redmine? * for next quarter: * pulpcore * happy/main path through pulp_rpm * packaging * ddavis to write up user-stories. meet to discuss planning in mid/late november * can we log the actual API calls? * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7729 ### Oct 8, 2020 * Handling SSL * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7658 - turn off ssl verification (fixed) * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7652 - need to handle eventually * Run CI every night? * https://github.com/pulp/pulp-cli/pull/6 * Let's run 7 days a week for now * Our first bug! * https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7666 * Possible explanation: client is making a http request and being redirected to https and then does a GET request * x9c4 to investigate * Blog post and mailing list announcement are live * Planning for next quarter (Dec-March) * We'd like to have a usable CLI by spring. Get upstream feedback and for our personal use. * What goals do we have? * Easy to install/packaged * Covers pulpcore and pulp_file * pulp_rpm happy path (sync, publish, distribute, upload) * How much time do we want to ask for? * 3.5 FTEs * Hard requirement: new features require a demo * let's allow to use the cli to demo new features to get early contributions +1 * Meet again in 2 weeks after 3.8 release ### Sept 23, 2020 * [david] Finish CLI PoC and upload to asciinema * Send out email to pulp-list about PoC? * Include asciinema * How to install, use CLI * Ask for feedback * Contact mcorr first and see what she recommends * Should we meet regularly? * Meet again in two weeks * Hopefully have some user feedback * We need a decision about where to have the cli code * it's not urgent. * for now, keep using a single repo * Supporting multiple versions of pulpcore and plugins * For now, use conditional statements when needed * Versioning of the CLI * Needs more thought ###### tags: `CLI`, 'minutes'