title: Mathesar - Code for Japan
description: Code For Japan project description - collab doc
An intuitive and accessible data manipulation toolkit for anyone that works with information.
###### tags: `hackday-projects`,`hackday`,`open-source`
## プロジェクト概要 Overview：
Mathesar is an open source software project to help users store, organize, visualize, and collaborate on data. Our goal is to provide an intuitive user interface for users without any pre-existing knowledge of database concepts. Mathesar is backed by mature database software, which gives it the flexibility to be interoperable with thousands of other existing tools and applications.
Potential use cases for Mathesar include publishing and exploring public datasets, running business processes such inventory management and project tracking, providing a ready-made interface for speedy data entry and custom reporting, collecting and processing data from large groups of people, simple data cleaning and analysis, and automatic web API generation. We think it will be useful for a variety of Civic Tech applications.
Mathesar is not yet ready, we are looking for contributors to help us get to our first release in mid-2022.
### Why? (なぜ始めたのか)
Data is valuable and shouldn’t be tied to using a specific proprietary service. CWe want to build an open-source data toolkit that combines a spreadsheet's ease-of-use with a database's integrity and modeling capabilities without compromising on privacy and interoperability.
[Read more on our wiki](https://wiki.mathesar.org/product/about#why-build-mathesar)
Some issues caused by using spreadsheets in Civic Tech applications that Mathesar can help solve:
- [Covid-19 results lost in England due to spreadsheet limitations](https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54423988)
- [Incorrect economic policies due to a spreadsheet error from prominent economists](https://www.thekeycuts.com/dear-analyst-a-spreadsheet-error-that-potentially-led-to-incorrect-economic-and-austerity-policies-after-2008-recession/)
- [Scientists rename human genes to stop spreadsheet applications from misreading them](https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates)
### Development (開発・バージョン)
* We are still in early development phase and will release an alpha version of the project by mid-2022.
* [Our roadmap to release](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/milestones?direction=asc&sort=title&state=open)
- [Mathesar team](https://wiki.mathesar.org/en/team).
- We have [~25 contributors total](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/graphs/contributors)
- **GitHub**: https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar
- **Chat**: Please join our [Matrix channels](https://wiki.mathesar.org/community)
## CodeForJapan Activity log
### 2022/01/22 ハックデー
##### プロジェクトメンバー Contributers representing project：
* [name=Brent Moran]
* [name=Joi Ito]
* [name=Mukesh Murali]
* [name=Pavish Kumar Ramani Gopal]
##### 今日の作業内容 Today's Mission：
We have selected a few issues from [our roadmap](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/milestones?direction=asc&sort=title&state=open) that are easy for new contributors. The goal is to open pull requests to solve as many of the issues as we can by the end of the day.
- [ ] [Frontend Feature: Create Menu component](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/742)
- [ ] [Frontend Enhancement: Wait until user is done editing a cell before saving](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/928)
- [ ] [Frontend Enhancement: Clicking on the name in 'Manage Schemas' page should set is as the current schema and redirect to base page](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/985)
- [ ] [Frontend Bug: Text overflow should be represented by ellipsis in schema selector](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/984)
- [ ] [Backend API change: Modify constraints API to use column id instead of column name](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/898)
- [ ] [Backend Feature: `sort_by` API param should sort strings by unicode collation instead of byte value](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/863)
- [ ] [Backend Bug: Tests that depend on schema fixture in import/test_csv throws up integrity error when run individually](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/689)
- [ ] [Backend Bug: Multiple Tables with the same OID](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/876)
- Feel free to find any issue that interests you from our [Github issues section](https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues)
If you're interested in continuing to work on the project after today, you are welcome to [join our community](https://wiki.mathesar.org/community).
##### こんな人にきて欲しい People needed：
- Those who are familiar with or willing to learn any of the following technologies:
- Those who are excited about Mathesar's goals.
- We also encourage beginners with low experience, who would like to contribute to open-source.
##### 本日の成果 Today's Outcome：
* To be filled after the event