## Principles Seminar v0
**Session 2 - Inclusivity**
## VIII. Inclusivity
> We believe in fair and widespread access to our software, with an emphasis on ease-of-use. This also extends to social inclusivity, permissionless participation, interoperability, and investing in educational efforts.
## Briefly on 'Status'
When I say Status, I don't just mean Status the app. I mean the organization and everything that we do and produce in this cosmos. The state of us. Status Republic. Status Network. "Company" and "product" misleading mental models.
## Fair and widespread access
- Works on many (old) devices and languages
- Not just first-world users
- Access not passive => run, use, study, contribute
- Usable for non-experts
- But also for us as contributors
- Software compatibility
## Social inclusivity
- Encouraging people to participate
- Rings on water, activation ladder
- Barriers to entry and 1/9/90 rule
## Everyone's job and self-interest
(power = responsibility)
- How many people you onboarded?
- How many issues (open problems) created?
- Help in Status or online?
- => Concrete call to action people to dive deeper
- Clear and well understood interface
- Useful and used by others
- Not isolated network
## Educational efforts
- Put time, money and energy into people learning
- Bottleneck for crypto adoption
- Get more people grok new paradigm
## (openness, inclusivity)
- Bigger contributor network != traditional hiring
- Cost of people: ($, coordination, ~chat)
- Core contributors as stewards
- Funded by subset of people who value
- => Massive parallelization possible
- See proof of concept called Linux
- ~1000 MAC, ~12 lieutenants, ~ 1 Linus
## Shower thought 1
Measuring Inclusivity and executing on it relentlessly is the same thing as mass adoption of Ethereum.
## Shower thought 2
Before mass adoption comes intense micro adoption.
> It’s better to make something that 100 people love than something that 1,000 like. -- YC motto
- First Status CCs then larger Ethereum community
- And/or: specific communities with a strong need
- Retention is key
## (inclusivity, continuance)
The value we generate is in the network.
- If value is proportional to contributors N...
- What is N now? Last month?
- => Importance of contributors metrics
## Wall of shame
1. We don't know how well we are doing on this front
2. 99% of our work is never incentivized in open form
3. App barely useful enough for even us to rely on it
4. App not available publicly in app store
5. Hard to get SNT in the first place