owned this note
owned this note
Linked with GitHub
# Week 5
###### tags: `OLS-2` `coworking call` `project-leads`
:earth_asia: GitHub Call - notes to be added
**Call time** :
**Hosts** : Malvika, Yo, Cass, Markus L.
**Syllabus** : [https://openlifesci.org/ols-1/week05/](https://openlifesci.org/ols-1/week05/)
* [Video on YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CvC6Ez54KBgzgA8eBQWjvF5rQex00cn)
**Before this meeting:**
- Check the [Friendly GitHub Intro](https://kirstiejane.github.io/friendly-github-intro/)
**During this week's cohort call**
we will give you an optional 1 hour GitHub tutorial:
- Creating a repository
- Writing in Markdown
- Creating a README file
- Enabling a small website via GitHub
- Managing issues and labels
- Submit changes via Pull Request
- Name / Project / social handles (twitter, GitHub, etc.) / [emoji mood_ _](https://emojipedia.org/)
- Georgia Aitkenhead / Autistica/Turing Citizen Science / GeorgiaHCA / 🐛
- Emma Karoune / Open science in phytolith research 🌻
- Yo Yehudi / OLS :)
- Malvika Sharan / OLS / malvikasharan :coffee:
- Teresa Laguna / Sci4All / IMDEA Food Institute Madrid / G: @tlaguna T: @teresa__laguna / :female_mage:
- Arielle Bennett / Cambridge Neuroscience / @biotech / :fallen_leaf:
- Jelioth Muthoni/OLS/github @jelioth
- Cassandra Gould van Praag / Speaker + OLS-1 Open WIN Community / twitter+github: @cassgvp
- Eva Herbst / Fez / G: @evaherbst T: @EvaCHerbst
- Laura Carter / Turing Way Ethics / @LauraC_rter / :snow_cloud:
- Paul Owoicho / Embedding Accessibility in the Turing Way Open Source Guidance / G: @paulowoicho
- Lena Karvovskaya /mentoring Embedding Accessibility in The Turing Way Open Source Community Guidance/ @langdata / :maple_leaf:
- Harriet Natabona / Ols mentee/ g: @natty2012
- Hilya / ols mentee / :bird: hilyatuz_zahroh g: @hzahroh
Please write down you name below if it is ok for us to send you to a non-verbal breakout room:
Share something from nature that has awed you or brought you peace recently - perhaps a flower, a view, a photo, a scent, a potted plant, a bird that flew past...
- Georgia / friendly deer in Clissold park
- Yo / Squirrels burying walnuts in my potato plant beds :squirrel:
- Malvika / we have a big plant that my partner is taking care of, but you can eat that too - and he feels that its unfair for me to eat his plant baby. :four_leaf_clover:
- Laura / the sun just broke through the clouds here briefly :sun_behind_cloud:
- Emma/ I've seen some cheeky seals just off the sea wall at Farlington, Portsmouth.
- Arielle / I have two mares and their foals that I see on my daily walks and have been enjoying watching them grow up over the summer!
- Eva / My cat has been extra cuddly and cute recently
- [name=Teresa] Birdwatching! It always relaxes and amazes me at the same time.
- Lena/The smell of the fall on a dry slightly chilly morning :maple_leaf:
- Paul/ Te ducks at Alexandra Park, Glasgow
- Kate / Geese flying over head every evening at the moment!
[HOST NAME] (⏰ 2 min)
- Reminder: [Code of conduct & community participation guidelines](https://openlifesci.org/code-of-conduct)
- If you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please report it by contacting the organisers - Bérénice, Malvika and Yo. ([firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)).
- To report an issue involving one of the organisers, please email one of the members individually ([firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com), [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com), [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)).
⚡️Introductions: keep it 30 seconds!
Anyone new this week? What's your name, location & project name
- Name / Location / Project name
🗣️ Introduction to GitHub
- Slides: [Friendly GitHub Intro](https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_bmRZcLwQrUkVTAMvq7W_x4ML_aphSwVEnkLrDy-Fd4/edit?usp=sharing)
🗣️ Contributing to a repository and GitHub Pages
Cassandra Gould van Praag ("Cass")
- Slides: [GitHub for collaborative documentation](https://slides.com/cassgvp/deck-12bf49/)
- [name=Teresa] Can we get another link for the presentation? Because in slides.com we cannot open or copy links on the slides
- [name=Cass] Sure! Now available on my [google drive](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YhsefT-YUn06399XwC-mqb_u50nt0XTj/view?usp=sharing). Feel free to take a copy to the OLS drive, if you have one?
- My repo [https://cassgvp.github.io/git-for-collaborative-documentation/docs/tut/3-3-play-with-this-page.html](https://cassgvp.github.io/git-for-collaborative-documentation/docs/tut/3-3-play-with-this-page.html)
**Breakout room task:**
1. fork Cass's repository
2. make a new branch on YOUR fork of Cass's repo
3. change this page in your branch/fork: /docs/tut/3-3-play-with-this-page
4. submit a pull request to Cass's repository.
- Useful GitHub resources
- [GitHub for Collaboration (from Mozilla)](https://mozilla.github.io/open-leadership-training-series/articles/github-for-collaboration/)
- [Understanding the GitHub workflow](https://guides.github.com/introduction/flow/)
- [A Friendly Github Intro Workshop (from Danielle Robinson)](https://daniellecrobinson.github.io/friendly-github-intro/)
- [GitHub help](https://help.github.com/)
- [Oh Shit, Git!?!](http://ohshitgit.com/)
- [Try Git](https://try.github.io/)
- [Git book](https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2)
- [GitHub glossary](https://github.com/joeyklee/friendly-github-intro/blob/master/glossary.md)
- [Writing on Github](https://help.github.com/categories/writing-on-github/)
- [Markdown Cheatsheet](https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet)
- [Git workflow](https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows)
**Questions / Comments?**
[HOST NAME] (⏰ 10 minutes)
- Next calls
- Next cohort call: February 26, 2:00 - 3:30 pm CET ([time zone](https://arewemeetingyet.com/Berlin/2020-02-26/14:00/OLS-1%20Cohort%20Call%20(Week%206)))
- Open Q & A time
What didn't work?
What would you change?
What surprised you?
*Reference*: Open leadership Framework, Mozilla Open Leaders 6 & 7, Open Life Science 1
*License*: CC BY 4.0, Open Life Science (OLS-2), 2020