tags: NumPy, triage
# 2023-11-29 NumPy triage meeting
- Time: 18:00 (6pm) UTC
- Join via Zoom: https://numfocus-org.zoom.us/j/82096749952?pwd=MW9oUmtKQ1c3a2gydGk1RTdYUUVXZz09 (To dial in, find your local number: https://numfocus-org.zoom.us/u/kjGWtVx5y)
- [NumPy community events calendar](https://scientific-python.org/calendars)
- [Triage meetings notes archive](https://github.com/numpy/archive/tree/master/triage_meetings)
- [Community meetings notes archive](https://github.com/numpy/archive/tree/main/community_meetings) and [new meetings agenda](https://hackmd.io/76o-IxCjQX2mOXO_wwkcpg)
- [Documentation team meetings notes archive](https://github.com/numpy/archive/tree/main/docs_team_meetings)
**Code of Conduct**
The NumPy Steering Council has made a strong commitment to creating an open, inclusive, and positive community.
All attendees of NumPy community events must adhere to the NumPy Code of Conduct (https://numpy.org/code-of-conduct/).
If you see violations, take a screenshot, intervene in a respectful manner, and report it to the CoC Committee via email. For more information, refer to the Reporting Guidelines section on https://numpy.org/code-of-conduct/.
## Follow up from previous meetings
- Rewiring integers:
- Could make the DTypes subclasses (`LongLongDType(Int64DType)`)
- Special instances would be similar, but maybe harder because you can't mirror that in the scalars?
- Sebastian will open an issue so we can prioritize this.
- Take a look at the milestones for 2.0 https://github.com/orgs/numpy/projects/9
- Make the dtype API public (remove the "experimental" label) for 2.0
- Zoom meeting access changed a bit.
- Array API for NumPy PRs need reviewing (9 PRs)
- Specific question w.r.t. to the array api PRs:
- Array API has vecdot, which behaves quite different (no conj, and our one ravels). (Actually, both do conj).
- Let's just stick with `np.True_` for now as repr.
- asarray copy kwarg (Sebastians take mostly):
- True/None/False should be OK? We never deprecated this, which might be a problem (hopefully not?!).
- It would be good to search for `np.array(..., copy=False)` briefly. In most cases, it is probably unaffected, but could mutate siglthly.
- the `__array__` dunder needs reviewing, because it might return a copy or a view (not sure this is accounted for). For the buffer protocol, that is possible, but I think assuming a view is OK.
- After bumping NPY_MAXDIMS, we may want to review some static arrays, should we:
- Try to use normal allocations (with the cache)
- Use `alloca()` (i.e. in ufuncs which never have absurd number of arguments for the time being)?
- gh-25152, can we find a way to allow "default" arguments in ufuncs (support `None` to be special for an argument).
- Discuss gh-25009 (stop supporting `promotion_state` other than NEP 50).
## New topics
## Action items
* [PRs and issues labelled with "triage review"](https://github.com/numpy/numpy/labels/triage%20review) (please add)
* [Open PRs - ](https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pulls) let's maintain below 150
* [Open PRs from first-time contributors](https://github.com/orgs/numpy/projects/5)
* [Inactive PRs](https://github.com/orgs/numpy/projects/6)
### Let's connect and keep the conversation going!
Join the NumPy contributor community **Slack workspace**: https://join.slack.com/t/numpy-team/shared_invite/zt-1gokbq56s-bvEpo10Ef7aHbVtVFeZv2w
Sign up to the NumPy **mailing list**: [https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion](https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion)
Subscribe to the NumPy **YouTube** channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/NumPy_team
Follow us on **Twitter**: [@numpy_team](https://twitter.com/numpy_team)
Follow us on **LinkedIn**: https://www.linkedin.com/company/numpy/
#### Presentation topics for NumPy Newcomers’ Hour
To suggest a topic for future presentations, please leave a comment in this tracking issue: https://github.com/numpy/archive/issues/58.
Remember to archive this file by committing it to [github.com/numpy/archive/triage_meetings](https://github.com/numpy/archive/tree/main/triage_meetings)