# Call for Rings - Council of Paris * When: March 4, 2019 * Where: CNAM - 292 Rue Saint-Martin, 75003, Paris * Basic details: Website: https://ethereumevents.global/events/2019-council-of-paris/ 28 Registration: https://pretix.eu/ethmagicians/councilofparis2019/ 40 Sponsors: https://opencollective.com/ethmagicians-eu/events/council-of-paris-2019-27245ev Agenda: TBD - Please stay tuned in the [FEM Thread](https://hackmd.io/s/ByIVnZVdX) Session Interest: fill out the [session interest form](https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOMcJPOhfJ2Iako1V25eSFWru0AIsUqQ7Vd0jlrQqcP_5Fuw/viewform) to help us schedule rooms. If you can facilitate or take notes for a session, [check this guide out.](https://ethereum-magicians.org/t/running-a-magicians-session/2652) ## Purpose The purpose of this document is to develop an understanding of which rings are participating in the Council of Paris and who is participating on each ring. Further discussion here: More broadly, don't worry too much about "rings" -- if there is a topic, EIP, or experience around the Ethereum ecosystem you'd like to discuss, please add yourself here. We'll be wrangling the agenda so everyone has room and time to meet. As well, **your job is to spread the word and get people to sign up**. You can even consider having an organizing call ahead of Paris, write up some wiki or HackMD pages, or in general prep for having productive meetings during the time we are alll together in person. **Please suggest a new ring and begin to organize if you know of a set of related EIPs or significant issues in the Ethereum community.** The reason why it was determined to follow with this format and list the most popular rings of Prague 2018, is to ensure there will be continued dialogue, progress and accountability over the action items suggested in the rings. New rings will be added from the form. Suggestion: if you think you will be a facilitator for a ring, please put "facilitator" next to your name under participants. If someone else already has a facilitator title, please coordinate with them. _Exact times and rooms will be assigned as part of agenda wrangling process._ ## Agenda TBD [TOC] ## 1. Education To provide direction and process flow for knowledge management in the Ethereum ecosystem. The three main directives will be to help with: * Educating ourselves (those currently in the Ethereum community) * Educating the rest of the world (either devs or non technical community) * How we bring devs to opensource (grow the technical engagement of Ethereum) ### Desired outcome(s): ### Topics of Discussion * Newcomer education and broadening understanding for non-tech audiences * Discuss & Build on education models being currently worked on * B9 labs and DoD education for 1000 devs - progress update ### Interested Participants * [Simona Pop](https://twitter.com/Sim_Pop) * María Paula Fernández * James Beck * Aidan ## 2. Wallet Ring Make wallets more useful, interoperable, user friendly, decentralized, secure, accessible. ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Participants * You! ## 3. Signaling Ring Discuss the problem of signaling and measuring preferences in decentralized networks. ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Participants * Daniel Kronovet * Afri 5chdn * You! ## 4. Fund Recovery Ring ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Interested Participants * Afri 5chdn ## 5. Meta Magicians Ring Discuss rings, events, operations, and how we can scale and organize together. ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Interested Participants ## 6. Security Ring Discuss security community structure and planning. ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Participants * You! ## 7. Token Ring Discuss token standards. ### Topics of Discussion * Modelling securities with tokens * Intersection of security tokens with exchanges (centralised & DEX) * Confidential transactions with security tokens ### Participants * Adam Dossa (Polymath) ## 8. Business Models Ring Discuss business models (streaming money, subscriptions, NFTs, ERC20 tokens) for dapps Notes from 2018/10/29: https://hackmd.io/W11KX6Y9R3idXXhN2tHFzA ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Participants * María Paula Fernández * Colin Platt * Yalda Mousavinia * Aqeel Mohammad * You! ## 9. Oracle Ring Discuss oracles and their interfaces for smart contracts (EIP 1154 or equivalent) ### Topics of Discussion * Please suggest in this doc. ### Participants * Hadrien Croubois * You! ## 10. Data Ring Discuss issues related to on-chain and off-chain data including size, usability, scalability, openess, etc. We will investigate difficulties and opportunities. ### Topics of Discussion * Full nodes versus light nodes - known issues * the "Infura Problem" * DappNode, Denode, VIPNode * State Trie Pruning, Blockchain Pruning * State Rent Proposals ### Participants * Afri 5chdn * You! ## 11. Trust & Reputation Discuss issues related to on-chain reputation, uses, misuse, reputation models. ### Topics of Discussion * Transferrable reputation: how to avoid what happened with the donut experiment * Staking reputation for voting (Colony's model) * Decentralized reputation * Etymology of trust and trustless - how we define the tools we build for a globalized audience ### Participants * Daniel Kronovet * María Paula Fernández * Hadrien Croubois * Yalda Mousavinia * Aqeel Mohammad * You! ## 12. EIPs & Ecosystem Standards ### Topics of Discussion * EIP Process, especially core EIPs and hardfork planning * Istanbul hardfork ### Interested Participants * Hadrien Croubois * Boris Mann (facilitator) ## 13. Ethereum Roadmap ### Topics of Discussion * Continue the work done in Prague and catch up with the current existing roadmaps * Discuss Ethereum 1x ### Interested Participants * María Paula Fernández (co-facilitating/ taking notes) * Daniel Kronovet * Simona Pop * Lane * Colin Platt * Chris Remus * Boris Mann * Afri 5chdn (happy to facilitate this) * Hadrien Croubois * Greg Colvin ## 14. Web3 UX Discuss the progress of Web 3.0 application UX since the Devcon reunions. Identify pain points and potentially come up with vocabulary to describe the tools we use to a non-crypto audience. ### Topics of Discussion * Vocabulary * UX painpoints * Teams building with top notch UX ### Participants * María Paula Fernández * Hadrien Croubois * Simona Pop * Marko * Yalda Mousavinia * Aqeel Mohammad * You! ## 15. Whisper-v2: Universal Secure Messaging for ETH2 Ethereum becomes a heterogeneous network of shards and different L2-nodes. It implies changes on secure messaging. Now many projects are reimplementing secure messaging instead of using whisper. It is a sign of an adoption problem. Let us fix it. ### Topics of Discussion * What prevents whisper adoption? * Which projects working on own secure messaging now? * What projects require secure messaging. * How the unified secure messaging-as-service should looks like in ETH2. What are the requirements? How we collect them? * Background discussion: * [Whisper-v2 : Request for requirements for ETH2 unified messaging protocol](https://ethresear.ch/t/whisper-v2-request-for-requirements-for-eth2-unified-messaging-protocol/4808) ### Participants * Ethernian * Lane * Antoine Toulme * A2be * somerb * jpitts * Hadrien Croubois ## 16. Ethereum Project Management: Cat Herders Proposing this ring to get together all the people that have been gathering in this group, discuss funding, and face to face dialogue. ### Topics of Discussion * History and goals of the initiative * How to get involved * Project management vs. governance * Why is PM so hard in Ethereum? * Roadmap to DAOification ### Participants * María Paula Fernández * Lane * Aidan * Colin Platt * Chris Remus * @Ethernian * Yalda Mousavinia * Afri 5chdn (happy to facilitate) * You ## 17. DAOS People are calling 2019 the year of the DAO. How do we enable and encourage success? How do we mitigate dystopia? ### Topics of Discussion * DAOism -- "My DAO is better than your DAO" -- waste of time to think this way, or important to enhance our governance models and messaging? * DAO dystopia -- Ethereum Police State -- DAOs will be used for evil, whether we like it or not -- is there a role for a DAO to mitigate bad actor DAOs? * How do we get more people to build DAOs? * How do we get more services and infrastructure for DAOs? * [DaoCon0](https://daocon.io): how do we make it great? * & more ### Participants * Yalda Mousavina * María Paula Fernandez * Tomislav Mamić * You ## 18. “5 Whys" retrospective: "Why we are too slow in adopting innovations we are creating”? It’s taken 16 months from Byzantium to Constantinople (still not in production), despite the fact that Constantinople is relatively noncontroversial and doesn’t actually change very much. According to the best estimates 1, we won’t have a functional (from the perspective of most layer two developers) Eth2 until 2021 (phase 2) at the earliest. We try to ask 5 Whys recursive starting with "Why we are too slow..." ### Topics of Discussion * 5 Whys retrospective: Why we are too slow in adopting innovations we are creating? * Economical and other incentives of innovation adoption? * Background discussions: * [Experiments we should be running ](https://ethereum-magicians.org/t/experiments-we-should-be-running/2573) * [Thought experiment: Ethereum has failed in 5 years. Why did it fail? How we can prevent it?](https://ethereum-magicians.org/t/thought-experiment-ethereum-has-failed-in-5-years-why-did-it-fail-how-we-can-prevent-it/2568) both started by [@lrettig](https://ethereum-magicians.org/u/lrettig) ### Participants * @Ethernian * Lane * Marko * Greg Colvin * Afri 5chdn * You ## 19. Immutables, invariants, and upgradability What kind of social contract do we have to follow? ### Topics of Discussion * Remediations for EIP-1283 reentrancy bug: have we broke any promise about gas cost of operations. * [CREATE2 allows to change the code for already deployed contract](https://twitter.com/mhswende/status/1093995835518537728): is it a breach of immutability assumptions? * In general: What is our social contract about immutables and invariants? * Background discussion: * [Immutables, invariants, and upgradability](https://ethereum-magicians.org/t/immutables-invariants-and-upgradability/2440) started by [@lrettig](https://ethereum-magicians.org/u/lrettig) ### Participants * @Ethernian * Lane * Amxx * You ###### tags: `ethmagicians` `council of paris`