# Citation best practices
Caroline Salamin & Noémi Cobolet
| time | activity |
| ---: | :------ |
| 09:30 | Welcome and introduction |
| 09:40 | What to reuse? What to cite?|
| 10:00 | How to cite: practical cases of citation |
| 10:50 | Focus on illustrations|
| 11:30 | End |
- understand why citing is important;
- know how to reuse different types of content;
- cite properly, in the text and in the bibliography.
## Why is it important to cite?
- acknowledge someone else’s work
- put your own work in perspective
- re-use existing content in your own work
- guide the reader
## Which types of content would you potentially reuse in your thesis?
:clock10: You have 2 minutes!
## To cite or not to cite?
- unpublished results
- oral or private communications
- very old documents
## How to cite properly
Pair to solve 1 of the 5 cases available on docs.google.com
Download the references from our Zotero group (export bibtex file): go.epfl.ch/CBP
Use your reference manager to cite
:clock10: You have 10 minutes!
Group 1: [go.epfl.ch/CBP1](https://go.epfl.ch/CBP1)
Group 2: [go.epfl.ch/CBP2](https://go.epfl.ch/CBP2)
Group 3: [go.epfl.ch/CBP3](https://go.epfl.ch/CBP3)
Group 4: [go.epfl.ch/CBP4](https://go.epfl.ch/CBP4)
Group 5: [go.epfl.ch/CBP5](https://go.epfl.ch/CBP5)
Group 6: [go.epfl.ch/CBP6](https://go.epfl.ch/CBP6)
Answers are available at [go.epfl.ch/CBPanswers](https://go.epfl.ch/CBPanswers)
## Secondary source
You read article 1 in which a section from article 2 is cited. You would like to insert this section from article 2 in your thesis. Which source do you cite?
## How to reuse illustrations properly?
Test your skills by playing the
**Copyright Compliance Bingo**
:clock10: Be as fast as possible!
## A few more examples...
- Reuse [pictures](https://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/227089) under copyright
- Reuse [pictures](https://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/214537) from the public domain
- Reuse [graphs](https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022169418303548)
Please fill in the form!
## Pending questions?
Rational Bibliographic (in French)
Contact us at email@example.com