# PEH 2021-08-02 Meeting Agenda
###### tags: `Error Handling` `Minutes`
- Previous Meeting: https://hackmd.io/Cz9thGmpS3G1uaGGcNMzvQ
- Action Items: https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/Hyj7kRSld
- Book Planning Doc: https://cryptpad.fr/code/#/2/code/edit/1FhyaBOOANgdSTKA8xbYIt8t/
- Jane Lusby
- Sean Chen
- Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr.
## Agenda Items
- Review action items from last meeting
- Issue Triage
### PG Error Handling
- [5 `rust-lang/rust` `PG-error-handling` items](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues?q=is:open+label:PG-error-handling)
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/53487)] *Tracking issue for RFC 2504, "Fix the Error trait"*
- Blocked on the backtrace stabilization questions, which is currently in progress with the work Jakub is doing on the backtrace-in-core RFC.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/58520)] *Tracking issue for error source iterators*
- Stalled due to no one pushing it.
- Added to the list of unassigned action items in case anyone would like to pick it up.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/65280)] *Formatting of std::backtrace::Backtrace*
- Main suggested changes have been implemented.
- Some additional suggestions using the precision flag were not implemented, but this issue should be closed, and leftover changes can be suggested in a follow-up issue.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/72981)] *Stabilize the backtrace feature.*
- Associated with the "Fix the Error Trait" issue.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/77474)] *Add #\[track\_caller\] support to \`?\`*
- Looking for an implementor.
- May run into performance issues and may be difficult to implement.
### Area Error Handling
- [14 `rust-lang/rust` `A-error-handling` items](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues?q=is:open+label:A-error-handling)
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/32837)] `P-low` *Pluggable panic implementations (tracking issue for RFC 1513)*
- Not something we need to prioritize at the moment.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/42047)] *Result\-based error handling optimizes very poorly for large payloads*
- Out of scope for the project group at the moment.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/44838)] *Tracking issue for RFC 2011: nicer assert messages*
- Being worked on by Maarten de Vries.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/54889)] *Implement Try for ExitStatus*
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/60784)] *Tracking issue for stabilizing \`Error::type\_id\`*
- Currently low priority.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/66745)] *Tracking issue for PanicInfo::message*
- Needs someone to figure out where it left off and what the next steps are.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/79085)] *Add Backtrace::set\_enabled to override environment variables*
- Blocked on the backtrace-in-core work.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/79676)] *Tracking Issue for \`backtrace\_frames\`*
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/80190)] *API: Add \`err\_or\` and \`err\_or\_else\` to \`Option\`*
- Probably too niche, but worth bringing up in the next libs-api meeting.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/84908)] *Tracking Issue for ExitStatusError*
- Nothing to be done for this one right now.
- [(https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/86826)] *\[draft\] Store the path in io::Error without extra allocations.*
- See if we can get this one merged.
### PG Error Handling
- [ ] Reply to all issues/PRs discussed in this meeting, or add them to the [open action items](https://hackmd.io/UrERZvi5RwyxfGvo-RtC6g).
_Generated by [fully-automatic-rust-libs-team-triage-meeting-agenda-generator](https://github.com/rust-lang/libs-team/tree/main/tools/agenda-generator)_
# Meeting Minutes
## Action Items
- Working on documenting and testing the `trial-and-error` [crate][trial-and-error].
- Working on implementing dot rendering for PRs so that we can iterate on the book diagram.
- Creating a diagram mapping out how error handling components (e.g., Result, panic, Try, Error, etc) relate to each other for the book.
- Review the changes to `trial-and-error`.
- Review backtrace-in-core RFC.
- Still working on the negative trait coherence change.
- Meeting with Nick Cameron to go over the dyno RFC and splitting it out from the generic member access RFC so that Nick can take over driving it forward.