# Hypha Goal-setting exercises 2020 Q1
## Step 4 - Present and Agree
* At a final meeting we used a [**spreadsheet**](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hMFS3IhzZOFQA-yjt7lFcoVO0Ry6erFEH7D1NswvDtA/edit#gid=230139147) to discuss and make minor adjustments
## Step 3 - Define Working Group Goals
* Each working group took the goals below and (re)fashioned them into **OKRs**
### Business Planning
* Build our engagement strategy (eg. brand, web presence, outreach)
* Develop our leads and opportunities pipeline
* Gain a better sense of work that people want to do (what opportunities should we go focus our energies on, gauge interest on different kinds of projects)
* cross-cut with Infra WG
* Assess our financial sustainability (as “capacity to endure”) by developing key metrics an initial projection
* cross-cut with Finance WG
* Shorten our lead-to-proposal time (i.e. the time it takes from identifying an opportunity to getting member buy-in in order to submit a proposal)
- Write by-laws
- Draft initial by-laws [Q1]
- Build to consensus on by-laws
- Consult a lawyer over by-laws
- Build [governance] relationships with "neighbours"
- [This is one piece of a larger goal that came out of something in
the Strategic Plan seems mostly BizDev]
- Defined “Local Solidarity and Decentralized Neighbours”
- Plan initial Annual General Meeting [Q1]
- Pick date for AGM
- Set agenda
- Develop checklist of what is needed from working groups, e.g.,
- operations "implementation report"
- year 2 financial plan
- [stretch] Determine first training/development activity
- [stretch] Develop peer interviewing protocol
- Host AGM by year-end (June 30, 2020) [Q2]
- By-laws adopted
- Upcoming directors/board elected
- Have by-laws and a formal governance structure after AGM [Q2]
- Build organization-wide understanding of governance [Q2]
### From Operations:
- [Ops] Have a set of operating practices around organizational
structure, roles, working groups, etc.
### Finance (proposed)
- develop our financial budget, alignment on how to spend money, and develop projections
- more shared alignment on how to spend money
### Infra (proposed)
- Align/speak from a single voice on values. (there was a point that is now missing below?)
### Org-wide [maybe kick these to operations?]
- feeling like an effective remote organization
- more clarity on shared values around infrastructure
- How do we do more publishing sort of? Have a public voice on the stuff we do
- Sick work that we do and bring and share to each other
- Set deadlines on tasks that relate to our objectives (each WG needs to go through tasks and do this)
### Proposed Metrics
- Define metrics:
- Are we hitting deadlines
- Are we hitting financial projections
- Are individual Members satisfied with their paid and unpaid work
- Measure team paid:unpaid ratio
- Measure individual paid:unpaid ratio
## Step 2 - Individual Brainstorming
- goals on revenue? client counts? (just seeing a goal of output portfolio after assumed clients)
- feeling wary about spending too much energy on AGM if we don't yet have revenue/clients to celebrate
- O: paid work / KR: # contracts, no matter how small.
- O: more collab with others / KR: # partnerships. closing leads!
- O: being friendly with other agencies / KR: cookies sent to competitors
- "Develop robust leads and opportunities pipeline" in business plan
- get customers!
O: "Have new customers and future projects by Q1 end"
- financial sustainability!
O: "An understanding of our burn rate and financial sustainability projections"
- have this feel less like a grind!
O: "Feel good about the work that we accomplish and reduce perception of "overhead""
- Meet other co-ops :+1: patcon
O: "Initate and/or relationships with other co-operatives"
- Partner with another co-op! Q2? :+1: patcon
O: "Establish a meaningful relationship with other co-operatives"
- Write about ourselves like we're basasses Q2?
O: "Formally disseminate/publish a summary of ourselves and where we are at!"
- reflect on financial feasibility and market competitiveness of hypha
- clockify better metrics
- are we winning a reasonable amount of deals? are we investing time that lead to our revenue goals?
- why do we not win some contracts?
- revisit shared practices and process friction points and how to go about iterating on
- revisit policy of partnerships
## Step 1 - Recap
### What we said during our Retreat
Each working group must answer: (With emphasis on Business/Governance)
* Define Scope (and Milestones) as well as Outputs
* Describe how people are working
* Decide how communication happens
* Decide how people can participate
### Key actions identified in the business plan
- Prepare for first AGM 2020Q1
- Pick date
- Draft bylaws
- First directors selected
- Implement Engagement Strategy 2020Q1
- Develop brand lookbook
- Re-launch website
- Define “Local Solidarity and Decentralized Neighbours”
- Profile and document first projects 2020Q2
- Portfolio of first projects on website
### Additional items to consider
- Our mission talks about “learning and building technologies together”
- Are we serving members aspirations towards learning and growing together?
- What do members want to learn and how can we support those needs?
- What technologies do we want to build?
### About OKR's
(adapted from [Trello blog](https://blog.trello.com/okrs-set-achieve-track-trello) shared by patcon in chat)
**OKR stands for Objectives and Key Results.** The Objectives tend to be the desired outcomes that you want, and the Key Results are the measurable ways you know you’re on track to reach them.
An **Objective** helps answer the question, _“Where do I want to go?”_
A **Key Result** helps answer, _“How will I know I’m getting there?”_