# Planning meeting 2021-04-14
* Team: Niko, Josh, Felix, Scott, Taylor
* Other: simulacrum, Amanieu, Esteban
* Action item scribe: simulacrum
* Minutes scribe: nikomatsakis
## Design meeting candidates
* Rust language "guiding principles" [lang-team#91](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/91)
* nikomatsakis has been sketching guiding principles from async vision doc and they seem like decent principles for the language overall
* not quite ready to schedule this this month
* pnkfelix has related ["compiler team contributors" guiding principles](https://hackmd.io/TYGRjVIbSBmxpbcfDzll-w)
* Discuss the amount of oversight that lang should have for lints [lang-team#72](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/72)
* needs a proposal before we decide whether to have a meeting
* it may be that no meeting is required
* Discuss the possibility of denying bare_trait_objects in 2021 edition [lang-team#65](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/65)
* action item: Mark to close this
* PR is https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/83213#issuecomment-812120957
* Just got its third checkbox; now in FCP merge.
* Ongoing discussion about `Drop` and `Pin<&mut self>` for 2021 edition
* 2021 planning ruled this out because it didn't meet the "accepted RFC" deadline
* not scheduled this round, there is ongoing discussion on Zulip
* should move that discussion somewhere else on Zulip instead of "Edition 2021" stream
* New ABI: "wasm" [lang-team#90](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/90)
* alexcrichton is working towards wasm interop
* the wasm ABI being proposed here is the proposal that should work across runtimes
* lang team question: do we want to have an ABI named wasm and how does it differ from C ABI?
* may also touch on bigger questions like how wasm could integrate into rust language design
* doc expectations:
* Details about the ABI, but only if they raise complex language questions
* Specific Questions: Why is this not just the C ABI for the WASM targets?
* Understanding the roadmap and where lang design changes may be needed
* Generators planning [lang-team#92](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/92)
* Estaban wants to see driven to completion, ideally this year
* Related to async vision doc effort
* doc expectations:
* Sketch and present a plan for how to settle the open questions
* Strawperson for a plan with details to help gauge where people fall
* [ ] April 21: [lang-team#90](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/90)
* [ ] April 28: [lang-team#92](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/92)
* [ ] May 5 <-- next planning meeting
* Doc and agenda available the day before the meeting
### Questions to consider for updates
* What are recent topics of discussion?
* Any exciting developments since the last check-in?
* Any points where the group is stuck and the lang-team could weigh in?
* Any potential design meeting topics?
* Any other concerns?
## Updates from active groups and projects
* [Project board](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/projects/2)
* Active projects (design phase)
* [Const evaluation](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/22)
* [Async foundation](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/33)
* [Const generics](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/51)
* [Deref Patterns](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/88)
* [Denying semicolons in expression macro bodies](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/79813)
* [Safe transmute](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/21)
* Active projects (implementation)
* [Tracking Issue for RFC 3086: macro metavariable expressions](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/83527)
* [RFC 2229](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/50)
* [Never type stabilization](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/60#issuecomment-814509681)
* I'm currently using Infallible for `TryV2` (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/84092/files#diff-61f98b185ed55c4151035e7b82e7ac945377f8bfcb5133f16f9a595838e01a10R1653), but it sure would be nice to use `!`.
* [FFI Unwind](https://github.com/rust-lang/lang-team/issues/19)
* Active projects (evaluation)
* [Inline assembly](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/72016)
* [Instruction set attribute](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/74727)
* Active projects (stabilization)
* [Stabilize pat2015 but leave :pat2021 gated](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/83386)
* [Tracking issue for X.., ..X, and ..=X](https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/67264)