--- tags: turing-way, collaboration-cafe --- # Fireside Chat - Community series by The Turing Way | Monthly ==**The Turing Way Fireside Chat is a community event series that features people and projects in open science and reproducible research.**== *The Turing Way Fireside chat series feature experts, champions and their projects from across different international communities in reproducibility, open research, ethics, collaboration and everything in between. This is an opportunity for catalysing cross-community collaboration and knowledge sharing.* **When?** Monthly! Third or fourth Friday of the month, based on the availability of speakers/panelists. *Upcoming events* - :construction: TBA :construction: *Proposed topics for future discussion* - Harnessing potential for research communication in 21st century - Etherpad: https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/ttw-fireside-chat-may2022 (tbd) - Challenges for created a shared open infrastructure *Previous events* - 22 October 2021: Fireside Chat | **What exactly is The Turing Way?** | Cassandra Gould van Praag, Kirstie Whitaker, Malvika Sharan, [Video](https://youtu.be/nuNA3Qa8A-k) | Etherpad: https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/ttw-fireside-chat-oct2021 - 10 December 2021: Fireside Chat | **Shared Concerns in Open Research Communities** | Emmy Tsang, Kate Hertweck, Tiago Lubiana, Humberto Julio Debat and Melissa Mendonça, [Video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3adCIXCu8&list=PLBxcQEfGu3DmBcSmt9GVfo4wN1KP1y2yl&index=2) | Etherpad: https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/ttw-fireside-chat-dec2021 - 11 February 2022: Fireside Chat | **Gaps and opportunities for multilingual data science** | Anelda van der Walt, Yanina Belini Saibene, David Perez Suarez, Camila Rangel Smith, Bobby Shabangu, Batool Almarzouq | [Video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydogg2tQljA&list=PLBxcQEfGu3DmBcSmt9GVfo4wN1KP1y2yl&index=3) | Etherpad: https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/ttw-fireside-chat-feb2022 - 25 MARCH 2022 | **Emergent Roles in Research Infrastructure & Technology** | Noor, Esther, Borhane, Beth, Arielle | [Video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_GFRS-u-Q) | Etherpad: https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/ttw-fireside-chat-mar2022 - 29 APRIL 2022 | **Enabling Inclusive Research Conferencing in the ‘Post-Pandemic Era’** | [Speaker's details](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/enabling-inclusive-research-conferencing-in-the-post-pandemic-era-tickets-318719758377) | Video: TBA | Etherpad: https://pad.sfconservancy.org/p/ttw-fireside-chat-apr2022 # Fireside Chat - Hosted by The Turing Way and [add collaborating project] ## Title *This session will be hosted by **Moderator1 and Moderator2**.* *Bring along your tea, coffee, snack and questions about The Turing Way. And, while you wait for the event to start - please read more about the chairs, speakers and the event in this document. 🌻* * **Date:** DD Month 2022 * **Time:** HH:MM - HH:MM UTC (starting time in your time zone: [https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2022-02-11/14:00)](https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2022-02-11/14:00)) <-- update this * **Who should join?** ***Anyone*** interested in learning more about translation of technical resources in data science and research. * **How you can join? Eventbrite page:** [Link] <--- **Please register to receive a Zoom link.** * *The Zoom's waiting room is enabled. The host of this call will let you in.* * ***All questions, comments, and recommendations are welcome on this Etherpad or on Zoom chat!*** **Fireside Chat is an informal event series that features people and projects in reproducible research.** *Thank you for joining us! We’re delighted to have you here.* ## 🔥 Propose a topic for a Fireside Chat *Can’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us:* [http://bit.ly/turingway](*http://bit.ly/turingway*) We are looking for proposals for future discussions on *building cross-community collaborations, establishing context-specific support systems and working together towards global sustainability of the open infrastructure as part of this event series. Please propose your suggestion below or reach out to Malvika Sharan by emailing theturingway@gmail.com.* ### 📢 Who should we feature/invite in the next session? (This could be you, someone you admire, a project that you are proud of or a group/topic that could be useful to highlight) * * * ## 🗣️Welcome! [Add host's name] * **Please note that this call will be recorded** * The video will be available on the YouTube channel in the next days: [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA) * Turn on your webcam if you don’t mind sharing your face (or off if you do!) * Reminder: * **Code of conduct**: [https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html](https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html) * If you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please report it by contacting the project members - Malvika and Kirstie Whitaker (turingway@gmail.com). * To report an issue at the *Exploring gaps and opportunities for multilingual data science* event involving one of the organisers, please email one of the members individually (msharan@turing.ac.uk, kwhitaker@turing.ac.uk) * We have enabled the **closed caption (live transcription),** please click on 'cc' at the bottom of your Zoom screen ## 👋 Icebreaker *(Getting to know each other and this Etherpad for collaborative notes)* **Name / City you are joining from / Social media (if you'd like to connect with others) / Icebreaker question?** * * * ## ⁉ Open Q \& A * * * ## 📝 Notes, comments and references by attendees * * * ### Useful links * *Couldn’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us: *[http://bit.ly/turingway](*http://bit.ly/turingway*) * Shared notes for collaboration cafes: [https://hackmd.io/@turingway/collaboration-cafe](https://hackmd.io/@turingway/collaboration-cafe) * Weekly coworking calls: [https://hackmd.io/@turingway/coworking-call](https://hackmd.io/@turingway/coworking-call) * The Turing Way GitHub repository: [https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way) * All about online Collaboration Cafes * Turing Way calendar: [https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ](https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ) * Contribution guidelines: [https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md) * Join us on Slack: [https://tinyurl.com/jointuringwayslack](https://tinyurl.com/jointuringwayslack) * Join the mailing list: [https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay) ## Feedback **What worked?** * * * **What didn’t work?** * * * **What would you change?** * * * **What surprised you?** * * * License: CC BY 4.0, *The Turing Way*, 2021 Timer: [https://cuckoo.team/tw-fireside](https://cuckoo.team/tw-fireside) --- # Fireside Chat Series: Archived Notes ## Enabling Inclusive Research Conferencing in the ‘Post-Pandemic Era’ ### This event is co-hosted by The Turing Way, MetaDocencia and Frictionless Data Event facilitators/co-moderators: Anne Lee Steele and Lilly Winfree. * Date: 29 April 2022 * Time: 15:00 - 16:30 UTC (starting time in your time zone: https://arewemeetingyet.com/UTC/2022-04-29/15:00 * Who should join? Anyone interested in learning more about translation of technical resources in data science and research. * How you can join? Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/enabling-inclusive-research-conferencing-in-the-post-pandemic-era-tickets-318719758377 <--- Please register to receive a Zoom link. 🗣️Welcome note! (Emma Karoune) 👋 Icebreaker (Getting to know each other and this Etherpad for collaborative notes) Name / City you are joining from / Social media (if you'd like to connect with others) / What is your favorite community event or conference? What makes this event special? * Yani, Anguil (La Pampa) - Argentina, @yabellini - Community: R-Ladies, Conference: useR! 2021 ;-), The values of the organizing team. * Christina Koch / Madison, WI, USA / I don't have a favorite conference, but I like ones that are small-medium sized so you can meet most people at the conference * Elio / Buenos Aires, Argentina / @d_olivaw / MetaDocencia's book club is my curren favourite because it's a super friendly space. +1 Elio! (Andrea) * Patricia Herterich / Edinburgh, UK / @pherterich / probably the SSI's Collaborations Workshop because it's interactive aspects are fairly unique (at least amongst the ones I usually attend) * Dorothea Hug Peter - Zurich - Switzerland @HugDorothea / useR! ;-) and the Zurich R-User Group meetups * Alycia Crall / Fort Collins, CO, USA / @alycrall * Irene Ramos / Mexico City / * Fernando García Gálvez/ Mexico/ My favorite community is the artists community./Talk with other people. * Rachael Ainsworth / Manchester, UK / t: @rachaelevelyn * Diego García Gálvez/ Mexico/ My favorite community is Comics community./Talk with other people form diferent countries. @Diego_glve1 * Anne Lee Steele / Bristol, UK / @aleesteele * Laura Carter / London, UK / tw: @LauraC_rter Ben Kriker / Antwerp, Belgium / @BenKrikler / SSI's Collab Workshops - the atmosphere, the dynamic unconferencing style, the people :) * Saranjeet Kaur Bhogal/ Gurgaon, India/ twitter: @qwertyquesting/ SSI workshop 2022, useR! conference 2021/ The ease with which these events can be actively attended remotely * Yani Ditz, General Pico(La Pampa), Argentina- * Batool Almarzouq, KSA /@batool664 /Turing Way bookdash * Zoe Leanza / Seattle, WA, US * Andrea Sánchez Tapia (Merced, CA, USA), @SanchezTapiaA on tt/ useR! 2021 but I am not neutral ;) it was really an event thoutght to be as inclusive as possible * Emma Karoune/ Portsmouth, UK / @ekaroune * Lilly Winfree / Austin, TX, USA / twitter: @lilscientista / https://csvconf.com/ * Katie Pratt / Duluth, MN, USA / @katie_phd or @TheCSCCE * Jafsia Elisée/ Yaoundé-Cameroon/ @Jafsiaelisee / * Malvika Sharan / London, UK / @malvikasharan / Collaboration Workshop :D, Open Life Science Cohort calls, and Turing Way collaboration cafes * Miranda Semple/Toronto, Canada. ⁉ Open Q & A * What is your experience with organising or participating in research conferences, and how has the pandemic affected your work? * What do we mean by inclusive conferences – what aspects are important to keep in mind? * Diego García Gálvez: I think, it's very important, because you can meet different culture and different ideas. However you can be more social and be more honest. * Fernando García Gálvez: I thinks it's cool and yep the pandemic affected in my body language. * What are the trade-offs involved in planning... * ...In-person conferences: * ...Online conferences: * ...Hybrid conferences * What is underrepresented or missing from these conversations about trade-offs? * What is the future of conferencing going forward? * How to facilitate interaction and community-building online? * What role does funding play within this debate? * Any tips, tools or ideas for best practices in planning events (in any format)? * How do you deal with hardware issues? Speakers with microphone/webcam problems, for instance. 📝 Notes, comments and references by attendees * Gilbert * https://medium.com/pollicy/heres-a-guide-to-organising-successful-virtual-events-7ac6b2a6b386 * https://medium.com/pollicy/heres-our-visual-guide-to-digital-data-collection-in-the-time-of-covid19-95aebc8fdc5c https://www.shemopolot.com/blog/categories/excel * Yani * MetaDocencia (English): https://www.metadocencia.org/en/ - (Spanish) * https://www.metadocencia.org/ * Twitter: https://twitter.com/metadocencia * MetaDocencia's Book Club: https://www.metadocencia.org/curso/clubdelecturat3/. Next event May 3 - 18.00 UTC-3. We will talk with the author of the book Teaching Tech Together, Greg Wilson, and we will have live translation English-Spanish so anyone can participate. It is free, you can register on the link. We wait for you :-) * The participation of Latin American at useR! 2021 compared with previews years: https://user2021.r-project.org/blog/2021/11/26/latines_at_user/ * Ben * https://remotely.green/ * Lilly: as csvconf organizers, we wrote a blog post in 2020 about how we moved from in-person to virtual: https://csvconf.com/2020/going-online/ (sorry for messing with your notes Yani (I'm asuming this is Yani?)) - je, nop, I think my note are ok :-) * Dorothea spoke about her attendance at useR - useR! 2021 website: https://user2021.r-project.org/ * Gilbert - DataFest Africa - 2021 was a hybrid event. He will be talking about this event as well as ommunities that have low internet speeds. Question 1: What do we mean by inclusive conferences? What aspects are important to keep in mind? * BK - very broad question - high level - think about where people are coming from. Children at home but also that may be difficult for some people if they need to look after them. Going to conferences is important for networking, career progression. Important for Early Career Researchers. Need to make it inclusive - code of conduct, pacman rule, making sure that everyone is included in chats. But alos thinking about computer bandwidth. * difference betwee experiences of those that are introverts and those that are extroverts. Introverts - easier to interact online. * Are you looking to attract a particular audience? timezone * Dorothea - we thought about this at the beginning of our organisation. We tried to make the conference as accessible as possible for the most people possible but there will be tade off. Have a mixed team for organisation of the event to bring these different aspects to the planning. * Elio - Must keep in mind, how you can measure the inclusivity of your conference. Numbers are good but need to measure the quality of the conference. * From Saranjeet: In one of the Code for Science & Society sessions, I really liked when the session facilitator said that: "If you tend to speak more, make space; and if you tend to speak less, take space" *Question 2 - What drove your organisation’s decision to return to in-person conferencing? What trade-offs are involved in doing so? * * Lilly - csv conf is taking a break this year but planning for in person next year. Why? we want to meet people, we all miss networking with everyone. This conference is good at creating a local community - it brings in a lot of local data makers and community so this is difficult to replicate online. But the local community is important for the conference. also we have a Llamha that you can pet. * Online conferences are hard - takes more organisers to do it well. * we also wanted to travel somewhere new. We want to grow our community so we can expand it for our in person event. * Andrea: there is this great resource about inclusive conferences by NUMFOCUS: https://discover-cookbook.numfocus.org/ and we at useR! 2021/useR! Working Group are writing a knowledgebase for future editions: https://rconf.gitlab.io/userknowledgebase/main/ (it's super WIP!) * What does it mean to be in person? Gilbert - we are currently hosting an in person event for our team. It creates a bond for the team to really get to know each other. Remote gives the flexibility for working at different times. You can interact with more diverse groups and is more accessible for some. Like I would not be able to attend thihs event if it was in person because of the visas, etc. * Lilly - recently attended an in person event for work and people were so happy to be there and see each other. * Anne - online sometimes brings you into closer contact with different people - it can have ECRs with very well known scientists. *Questions 3 - Similarly, what are the trade-offs involved in the online-format?* * Dorothea - in-person - you have one timezone and this makes it easier. A local conference can be in one timezone but international online needs to be in multiple. * Need to try harder with online to block the time to spend at the conference. In person - you are there so you attend. * when going online - don't need to keep the same style of conference. Re-think it and decide what will be good or not online. Think about who will now attend or not. * Online can be more inclusive - such as asking questions can be easier for ECRs. * online - it is hard to get people to pay but we still need money for an online platform and for transciption services. May be hard to keep the sponsors. * Elio - problem with online conferences may be cultural - people not blocking their time. This will change and they will realise how to organise their time. * Ben - it will improve! We are in the early stages and I think in 50 years we will see great things. *Question 4 - What are the trade-offs in planning hybrid conferences, and how have you worked to mitigate them in your event planning?* - Gilbert - a lot of you come from places where accessibility to the internet and power is not a problem. Covid has exposed the differences between Global South and North. The hybrid is the best option for us. - It might be like hosting two events at the same time - you odn't want this. Don't want the programmes to clash. - Need facilitators to interact with both online and offline. Need a lot of prep between the facilitators. - how do you make sure that the online partcipants keep focused and involved - shared docs can help with this. facilitators can read out docs, questions. - Social media can be used to get engagement between participants - make a special hashtag. - Rights con has side rooms that you can network virtually - this is what you would get in a physical conference and this is the virtual version. - Lilly - can you tell us more about those online networking rooms? did you have some questions to lead with. - we make it informal - we make it with funders or local organisations. - identify people that are beyond what has alrady been discussed in the conference. - Anne - Hub format - what do you all think about the hub format? has anyone experienced this? - Ben - It is exciting - you get a good mix of the two main types of conferences. You are meeting people and not travelling far so better for environmental reasons. - But it will be a lot of work for organisers. - Lilly - it might make it more inequitable. - Dorothea - it might work for getting people to places of good internet connections. BUt I think the link up between those in the hub and those online could be difficult. - Gilbert - the hubs could be good to bring conferences to people. - What role does funding play within this debate? - Ben - hybrid is seen as running two events so double the cost. - Lilly - I like the idea of asking a university for a free space. - Dorothea - what can you offer sponsors online? maybe sponsor booths, or lightning talks before the keynote speakers. - what do you offer scholarships for online conferences? accessibility costs, childcare. - From Gilbert - Planning an event in sub saharan Africa - Visual Guide to Digital Data Collection: https://medium.com/pollicy/heres-our-visual-guide-to-digital-data-collection-in-the-time-of-covid19-95aebc8fdc5c - Guide to Organising Successful Virtual Events: https://medium.com/pollicy/heres-a-guide-to-organising-successful-virtual-events-7ac6b2a6b386 Ben - what is it that we are missing with online conferences? Is it the shaking of hands? It might be time - giving time to the conference. ## *Co-hosted by The Turing Way and Open Post Academics* ### Title:** Emergent Roles in Research Infrastructure & Technology** *This session will be hosted by **Arielle Bennett and Beth Duckles****. They will be joined by ***Noor Shaker, Esther Plomp, and Borhane (Bo) Blili-Hamelin. Read more about them on the Event page: **[https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-emergent-roles-in-research-infrastructure-technology-tickets-294499364527](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-emergent-roles-in-research-infrastructure-technology-tickets-294499364527). *Bring along your tea, coffee, snack and questions for this session. And, while you wait for the event to start - please read more about the chairs, speakers and the event in this document. 🌻* * **Date:** 25 March 2022 * **Time:** 17:00 - 18:30 UTC (starting time in your time zone: [https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2022-03-25/17:00)](https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2022-03-25/17:00)) * **Who should join?** ***Anyone*** interested in learning more about translation of technical resources in data science and research. * **How you can join? Eventbrite page:** [https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-emergent-roles-in-research-infrastructure-technology-tickets-294499364527](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-emergent-roles-in-research-infrastructure-technology-tickets-294499364527) <--- **Please register to receive a Zoom link.** * *The Zoom's waiting room is enabled. The host of this call will let you in.* * ***All questions, comments, and recommendations are welcome on this Etherpad or on Zoom chat!*** **Fireside Chat is an informal event series that features people and projects in reproducible research.** *Thank you for joining us! We’re delighted to have you here.* ## 🔥 Propose a topic for a Fireside Chat *Can’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us: *[http://bit.ly/turingway](*http://bit.ly/turingway*) We are looking for proposals for future discussions on *building cross-community collaborations, establishing context-specific support systems and working together towards global sustainability of the open infrastructure as part of this event series. Please propose your suggestion below or reach out to Malvika Sharan by emailing theturingway@gmail.com.* ## 🗣️Welcome! **(Malvika Sharan)** * **Please note that this call will be recorded** * The video will be available on the YouTube channel in the next days: [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA) * Turn on your webcam if you don’t mind sharing your face (or off if you do!) * Reminder: * **Code of conduct**: [https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html](https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html) * If you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please report it by contacting the project members - Malvika and Kirstie Whitaker (turingway@gmail.com). * To report an issue at the *Exploring gaps and opportunities for multilingual data science* event involving one of the organisers, please email one of the members individually (msharan@turing.ac.uk, kwhitaker@turing.ac.uk) * We have enabled the **closed caption (live transcription),** please click on 'cc' at the bottom of your Zoom screen ## 👋 Icebreaker *(Getting to know each other and this Etherpad for collaborative notes)* **Name / City you are joining from / Social media (if you'd like to connect with others) / What opportunity for career growth or leadership have you seen/experienced that you always thought was not possible but made a positive impact on you?** * Malvika Sharan / London, UK / t @malvikasharan / I did not think that you can build a team in academia for community building without 'publishing research paper' as your main goal. * Esther Plomp / The Hague, the Netherlands / @PhDtoothFAIRy / Honest direct feedback about your capacities might not sound great at the time but will save you loads of headaches later * Borhane Blili-Hamelin (he/him) / NYC / @borhane\_b\_h / /www.linkedin.com/in/borhane/ / Not possible I don't know. But I've been surprised by how much quality time and bandwidth people I look up to are willing to volunteer when invited to collaborate on open projects they find interesting. +1 +1 * Arielle Bennett (she/her) / London UK / @biotechchat / Going to the Turing Way Book Dash! I honestly thought it wasn't for me it was for "proper academics". I went, did my first pull request, wrote a lot, found out how awesome the team was and the rest is history! +1 * Kirstie Whitaker (she/her) / London, UK / @kirstie\_j (twitter) / When I was in an annual appraisal in my postdoc I was asked what job I was aiming for and I said "the job I want doesn't exist yet". Fast forward 4 years and I was exactly right - the job I have now didn't exist then but it does now and I love it <3 * Kristijan Armeni (he/him) / Baltimore, US / @KristijanArmeni (twitter), www.kristijanarmeni.net / Building an Open Science Comunity with fellow PhDs and support by great senior mentors -- got experience in working open, leadership and a paper out of it. Fulfilling and lovely. * Beth Duckles (she, her) / Portland, Oregon, US/ @bduckles/ I've been surprised by how meaningful and useful informational interviews have been. +1+1! * Anne Lee Steele (she/her) / @aleesteele / Brussels, Belgium / Whenever I feel frustrated by the way things are in research, in industry... the free/open universe universe helps me to remember that we can do things differently. * Batool Almarzouq (she/her) /@batool664 / Saudi / When I was mentored by Anelda in OLS3, it allowed me to grow and reflect on many aspects * Louise Chisholm (she/her) / London, UK / @lou\_chisholm / people recognising skills, that I had not appreciated. +1+1 * Cassandra Gould van Praag (she/her) / Oxford, UK / t: @cassgvp / As an early postdoc I was told "Be careful, or you might become a technician." This sentiment has never left me - what if i WANT to be a technician?! * Angelica Maineri/Tilburg, the Netherlands/@AngelicaMaineri Twitter, Angelica Maineri/it took me 5 years of phd on the side of research support activities in a large survey programme to understand that very valuable work can be done in academia even when not doing 'traditional' research/teaching * Lou Woodley (she/her) / Arlington, VA * Johanna Bayer (she/her)/ Melbourne Australia/ twitter/github : likeajumprope/ the open science community really opened my eyes for that truly collaborative and reproducible research can be done * Emma Karoune/ Portsmouth, UK/ t @ekaroune / * Achintya Rao / Geneva–>Bristol / @RaoOfPhysics * Andrea Sánchez-Tapia (she/her)/ Merced, CA / @SanchezTapiaA (tw)/ I was invited to lead a "non-academic" team while organizing a large conference and Iearned so much from everyone and did things I did not know I was able to. * Jim Procter / Dundee, UK / @foreveremain / Substantial UKRI funding for continued development of software tools for research * Nicole Scherer (she/her) / Rio de Janeiro, Brazil / I'm a biologist - Msc in genetics - PhD in bioinformatics, technologits at INCA (Brazilian National Cancer Institute), 8 years ago my institution aquired an HPC Cluster and "gave" me the responsability to manage it. Since them, I do help wet lab scientist and students to use our infrastructure and analyse their data. Recently I discover the term "research facilitator", that finally sumarize how I see my role here. * Lucy Killoran / Glasgow, UK / @lucykilloran\_ / Access to funded/free opportunities for retraining whilst still in work, but at a career crossroads * Vicky Hellon / London UK / @vickyhellon / Having a great boss when I worked in publishing, he supported my career growth and made me realise I didn't need a PhD to progress! * Danny Garside / Washington DC, USA / @da5nsy / * Ahad Ali / New York, NY, USA / I am a PhD candidate in Sociology working on production of knowledge at A.I. start ups. I have always been blown away by people who go out of their way to help you when you reach out to them. * Laurence Brown (he/him), Oxford UK. t: @LozRiviera , Research technology specialist / occasional circadian biologist. Moving centrally in an academic institution gives a chance to help with research problems you hadn't even heard of previously. * Nadine (she/her) / Brighton / t: @NadineSpychala * Sara Petti (she/her), Bologna (IT)/ **Questions to ask during the session** * **Questions on career planning** * What has been most important in allowing you to find your way/supporting you in defining your role? * In carving a path for yourself, to what degree do you have to compromise? Whether you make yourself fit into the system or if you're challenging it and if so, how? * How much of your career to date has been "planned" by you in advance? How did you approach that planning? If you didn't plan, how did you choose your path and/or find your recent roles? * When there are no clear pathways to development, how do we help ourselves (as a community) to find out what types of learning we need to look out for and produce (or at least sign-post) resources for? * **Questions on emergent roles themselves** * What do you think is driving the growing awareness around emergent roles in academia (e.g. HiddenREF, UKRI's 101 roles campaign) * How would you like to see the field of research infrastructure roles develop in the future? * Which are the most surprising skills you've found useful in your career? * What advice would you give to yourself from 5/10 years ago? * How do institutional leadership build, support and impact the continuously evolving nature of roles in support of research? * What options exist for 'open startups' e.g. for emergent infrastructure development not directly fundable ? (ie not attributable to existing application area) * Are there opportunities to redesign the organisational model that Academia operates (ie the traditional PIs/researchers/students structure) * [from Kirstie] What do the panel members think of changing these roles \_within\_ academia vs \_outside\_ academia? Are there pros and cons of either choice? * Lou: I'm curious about the challenges of being a generalist in terms of never being a "deep expert" in any one of the many skills that you may have e.g., using project management or product management methodologies but not as a full time role but one of multiple skills you know how to do. Does this lead to self-doubt, imposter syndrome? * Such an important point about the challenges of being a generalist. * Noor: to switch topics is an ability in itself! * Arielle: getting to know tons of new fields, and new skills is really important. * Esther: You don't need to know everything they're doing - you need to know enough to communicate with them. That's moving from data support to software support. If you don't know anything about coding - it's hard to communicate. You don't need to know the details, you need enough to communicate! * @jim: “If you know what you are doing you probably aren’t doing research” (terrible paraphrase of the ‘if you aren’t confused you aren’t paying enough attention’ quote) * Bo: What does my imposter syndrome listen to? What makes the doubts go away? Clarity on my sense of purpose. Having collaborators. Be curious about what do your doubts respond to? What makes them a little more quiet? * @andré: I was once told that not knowing anything about the research was a good thing because then I wouldn't make any assumptions... (and that was in line with my role) * Cass: In the UK a lot of "post-92" ([https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-1992\_university)](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-1992\_university)) universities have seperate career tracks for teaching and research faculty, and both culminate in a Professor level. Do we need another split for ~Research Facilitation~ (for example, Community Managers, Data Stewards, Research Software Engineers)? How can these roles be seperated from administrative or professional services roles (for example Human Resources and Finance) for the purposes of defining the "gap" we exist and work in? * There is definately something here on @Bo's comment about not just re-working the "boxes" but thinking where behaviour can be nudged as we identify that the existing boxes are limiting. * Andrea: people talk about some "leaking pipeline" but barely talk about how slow this leaking is. Did you have an intuition about the need for such a transition? how early? the fact that this is framed as a negative thing that actually can be liberating made some difference in your decisions? * It's a problem of academy and disservice to people who are important for research shift to more collaborative andd respectful culture. * I have mixed feelings about the leaky pipeline, or people actively being pushed out of academia: It is great that I currently have a nice job and am happy with live, but I'm pretty certain that there is now at least one PhD candidate under my then supervisor which is not going to have the best time. Again. If we leave fully, we will not affect change and keep the systems continuing as they are... Not sure if there's a solution. * Esther: I have mixed feelings about the leaky pipeline, or people actively being pushed out of academia: It is great that I currently have a nice job and am happy with life, but I'm pretty certain that there is now at least one PhD candidate under my then supervisor which is not going to have the best time. Again. If we leave fully, we will not affect change and keep the systems continuing as they are... Not sure if there's a solution. * Question from Andre: Sometimes it feels that the roles emerging are only possible when they avoid embarassing the definition of what a researcher is. One can propose and make it happen as long as reseachers are not disturbed in the way they carry out their work (or in their authority to define what research is). Collaborative research only will happen when this definition is opened up. What does the panel think? * Question from Jim: @Beth - is there some kind of signalling pattern between people that allows academics to recognise someone who ‘knows enough’ to bother trying to work with ? * Talking to pople and inviting them to collaborate - have conversation. * Social media (that is a form of collaboration) * Following from @noor’s comment - mixing the silos - there have been various attempts at social engineering the research environment - I wonder if there has been a systematic review to identify why they succeed/fail ? ## 📝 Notes, comments and references by attendees * Noor current focus: AI in drug discovery * Esther: new roles that are listed as "research support" can limit possibilities if one identifies as researcher (e.g. for funding applications) * Bo: Where can ethics in the AI space go wrong? When ethics are caught between different parts of corporate goverance (engineering, product, etc.) Lots of fantastic work being done right now to embed ethics into the lifecycle of AI systems. Other problem I notice on accountability side: accountability actors are often perceives as 'narcs', as out to get us, as antagonists. There is a place for compliance-like and sanctions-like accountability. But what pathways are there to move beyond accountability as antagonistic? * Cool paper that's always on my mind about what failing to truly embed ethics within corporate practices can look like: * Metcalf, J., Moss, E., \& Boyd, D. (2019). Owning Ethics: Corporate Logics, Silicon Valley, and the Institutionalization of Ethics. *Social Research*. [https://datasociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Owning-Ethics-PDF-version-2.pdf](https://datasociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Owning-Ethics-PDF-version-2.pdf) * Accountability Case Labs project overview: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wi-OsM4l2HCn-F0L\_PomqkpncT5y9DCQF6db2eMwsCY/edit?usp=sharing](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wi-OsM4l2HCn-F0L\_PomqkpncT5y9DCQF6db2eMwsCY/edit?usp=sharing) * Arielle: I think probably one of the biggest ones is actually recognizing the sheer variety of roles to emerge outside of generalist, postdoctoral, or sort of senior fellow positions, where people are having to do a bit of everything on top of producing high quality, original research. * Beth: How do we talk with one another when our understandings of norms are different? Crossing disciplines to have conversations in the field about what roles may be possible * Arielle: Example - Product management being applied in the research space. * from chat: (thanks Lou!) So interesting how product management methodology is ending up in multiple places - newsrooms is another place * Q: How does career planning work? * Noor: evaluating sense of "contribution", left academia to do a startup. Always have a plan: see where your north star is. See where the world is heading (i.e., and navigate in that direction. * “I always had a plan, but never followed through.” — Noor 🙂 * Research felt like the end of a path (not learning anymore) - moving to a startup was a steep learning curve, but I keep learning. * Esther: Wanted to be an archaeologist! I kind of imagined a researcher to be like an eternal postdoc where you could just do your own research. But no. Roles for data stewards didn't exist previously - but talked to lots of people. Events played a big role. * Beth: Part of the reason why I didn't have a plan - because these roles didn't exist. The name isn't quite there yet. The jobs emerge - as we see more connections between fields, these jobs emerge. * "how does it work that a position that has only been around for 2 years requires 4 years of experience !!?" * "People who have 'excessive degrees' *have* skills... [go use them] "! * Q: What kind of roles need filling? * Bo: We build infrastructure to ensure that pharm. research isn't harmful for people. We try to make sure that these activities aren't harmful / how to avoid harm. Part of the reason why there's so much haze around emerging roles is because of the disruptive role of AI. We have emergent technologies - alongside a lack of infrastructure. * @jim: [following from Bo’s point] what’s clear is that the overhead of “AI” means that coal-face researchers need support (like the stats unit, or the in-house illustrator) to apply the methodologies and ensure safety/ethics * Arielle: Growing sense of recognition for research done with clear frameworks i.e. people who get funding, community managers (who coordinate/collaborate). But collab skills aren't taught - especially within research. * this recognition maybe suggests research *is* getting bettter * @ andré: Sometimes it feels that the roles emerging are only possible when they avoid embarassing the definition of what a researcher is. One can propose and make it happen as long as reseachers are not disturbed in the way they carry out their work (or in their authority to define what research is). Collaborative research only will happen when this definition is opened up. What does the panel think? * Great point. This week I am really enjoying discussions and shared sense of pride that Research Software Engineering has built through the recognition of their work as important part of infrastructure to enable better research. * Bo: Need integration between different techniques. Making expertise understandable, digestible, and actionable between different expert groups. There are likely spaces that need support and help. * Beth: There's lack of understanding of what we need expertise in. Haven't thought about entire bodies of research that exist \& can help make that communication happen. * Cross-disciplinarity is hard. * [https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6026972](https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6026972) * Beth noted: [para] need to recognise that others may have deep expertise/theory on something you see you can just 'do' (ie engineers doing something without considering the contextual work from particular disciplines) (personal note from jim this perfectly describes techbro-ism ;) ) * Question from Andre: Sometimes it feels that the roles emerging are only possible when they avoid embarassing the definition of what a researcher is. One can propose and make it happen as long as reseachers are not disturbed in the way they carry out their work (or in their authority to define what research is). Collaborative research only will happen when this definition is opened up. What does the panel think? * Malvika: Great point. This week I am really enjoying discussions and shared sense of pride that Research Software Engineering has built through the recognition of their work as important part of infrastructure to enable better research. * Kirstie: Andre - can I double check what you mean? I think you're saying that we are making up new jobs so that researchers don't have to change their behaviours, is that right? I agree strongly - I appreciate the different labels because I think they help people to name their expertise and the responsibilities they hold BUT everyone who works with me in TPS **IS** a researcher - they aren't research adjacent, they DO the work of a researcher, just as part of a broad collaboration rather than imagining that all researchers have to be magical unicorns who are great at everything! * Andre: In a way yes, I have seen it many times. Change is acknowledged and researchers admit they need help. But the change and the new roles only go as far as research definition and the definition of what a reseacher is doesn't change. That's what I think is very special about TPS. But organisationally speaking it is harder to effect the same type of change. * Andrea: and a lot of that work was happening magically through unpaid labor * Kirstie: To yes, and your point Andre, I'm curious to know whether researchers can actually \_articulate\_ what a "researcher" actually is! I think it's one of these gut feelings that we have and I think it keeps us locked into the status quo because we don't \_really\_ know exactly what we mean when we say "the role has to change / evolve" unless we interpret that as "just work harder and do more" * Andre: A lot has to do with keeping the authority to define what research is. So change in the role can also threat who defines what research is. * Kirstie: To yes, and your point Andre, I'm curious to know whether researchers can actually \_articulate\_ what a "researcher" actually is! I think it's one of these gut feelings that we have and I think it keeps us locked into the status quo because we don't \_really\_ know exactly what we mean when we say "the role has to change / evolve" unless we interpret that as "just work harder and do more" * Andre: A lot has to do with keeping the authority to define what research is. So change in the role can also threat who defines what research is. * Esther: In my experiences from the Netherlands you're a researcher when you paid to do research. But then researchers do a lot of work unpaid here due to the working pressures, so I find this a terrible definition! I'm still working on a better one though. * Cass: @Esther, perhaps we stop being a (recognised) researcher when we get paid to do the other stuff, and we do the “research” as the side job? * Esther: that is what I've been doing indeed... so I still feel like a researcher but get told off sometimes :P * Cass: Like the don’t know how to measure our value if writing papers is not our primary output, And if they can’t measure our value, they can’t value/reward us * Malvika: It is definitely a structural and historical rubrics the many are finding hard to break off from. (Oh you ‘new position’, don’t know here you fit in my funding/leadership structure). Totally agree with you Cass and Esther. Hard to establish when people’s mental model of how researcher looks like or what they have so far rewarded is different from the current reality. * Noor: If we focus a lot on like multidisciplinary, bringing all these many people together, and like kind of putting them in an environment that they have to talk to each other.... I think that's very important a lot of researchers got like stuck in in their own kind of research, and they can't really see beyond getting their PhD... helping them to see the possibility of having multidisciplinary applications of research * Esther: increasing flow of information that ensure that everything is working. You only have 40 working hours a week! CM's make sure that people aren't getting burnt out - and that collaborations are happening... But how do we ensure that? * ~~ how to do we recognise CM contribution to the Research output (the paper, etc..) * Such an important point! * Love the way some of the AI community is attempting to re-value stewardship and archival expertise through works like: * Jo, E. S., \& Gebru, T. (2020). Lessons from archives: Strategies for collecting sociocultural data in machine learning. *Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency*, 306–316. [https://doi.org/10/ghn34f](https://doi.org/10/ghn34f) * Famularo, J., Hensellek, B., \& Walsh, P. Data Stewardship: A Letter to Computer Vision from Cultural Heritage Studies.pdf. *Google Docs*. Retrieved June 23, 2021, from [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xHDrOH0FwYjoRd42SdO5ouD0RVWwcAKH/view?usp=sharing\&usp=embed\_facebook](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xHDrOH0FwYjoRd42SdO5ouD0RVWwcAKH/view?usp=sharing\&usp=embed\_facebook) * Arielle: How do we recognise alternative forms/expressions of value? Emerging roles have a huge effect. * Arielle: Are there other emergent roles? * Beth: There are roles for Assessment and Evaluation - but in different industries, it's often uses a different language to describe these roles + positions. Speaking the language is one of the key pieces of joining any industry outside of academia. * Bo: Armchair exercises to ... * Beth: How can we create these roles together vs doing it all * Go sign SFDORA ;) [https://sfdora.org/](https://sfdora.org/) * HiddenRef: [https://hidden-ref.org/](https://hidden-ref.org/) * Bo - how do you discover \& learn about alignment between real world needs and (your) expertise - take heed of product thinking: [https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/product-thinking#:~:text=Product%20thinking%2C%20like%20design%20thinking,by%20identifying%20an%20audience](https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/product-thinking#:~:text=Product%20thinking%2C%20like%20design%20thinking,by%20identifying%20an%20audience)'s%20problem. * Arielle: have become more inclusive of what a researcher is? Not * Esther: Applied to be a main applicant for research, but then told they were in a support role, and needed to find someone else in their role . <--- ! * the bureaucracy needs to catch up with the reality of how the landscape is shifting for definite and to let people lead, actually, because you could argue. that I can contribute to the project, and I can still run it in the background, and someone else can lead it in in name. But that's not the same as actually leading something and actually getting the credit for it and me being promoted in the ends in my own job for having leadership skills and positions, etc. * Arielle: Advice for funders? * Bo: How does surprising matchmaking happen? * Beth: How do we assure that these roles are recognised * Plug: Open Post Academics event next week that might be interesting to folks, about social science research in industry (on AR/VR and privacy) * March 30 * [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/research-outside-the-academy-social-science-research-on-vrar-privacy-tickets-277646557327](https://www.eventbrite.com/e/research-outside-the-academy-social-science-research-on-vrar-privacy-tickets-277646557327) * Plug: Accountability Case Labs meetup where we will share the results of our winter 2022 survey about how folks in different roles think about the problems and where we need to go with accountability * APRIL 7: * [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/accountability-case-labs-winter-2022-survey-insights-tickets-288692064737](https://www.eventbrite.com/e/accountability-case-labs-winter-2022-survey-insights-tickets-288692064737) * I have mixed feelings about the leaky pipeline, or people actively being pushed out of academia: It is great that I currently have a nice job and am happy with live, but I'm pretty certain that there is now at least one PhD candidate under my then supervisor which is not going to have the best time. Again. If we leave fully, we will not affect change and keep the systems continuing as they are... Not sure if there's a solution. * Announcement to apply to join Book Dash and more opportunity: [https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay/letters/introducing-the-next-fireside-chat-book-dash-collaborative-projects-and-our-community-manager](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay/letters/introducing-the-next-fireside-chat-book-dash-collaborative-projects-and-our-community-manager) ## Fireside Chat - Hosted by The Turing Way and Talarify Exploring gaps and opportunities for inclusive, multilingual data science This session will be hosted by Malvika Sharan and Anelda van der Walt. * Date: 11 February 2022 * Time: 14:00 - 15:30 UTC (starting time in your time zone: https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2022-02-11/14:00) * Who should join? Anyone interested in learning more about translation of technical resources in data science and research. * How you can join? Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-gaps-opportunities-for-inclusive-multilingual-data-science-tickets-255972068347 <--- Please register to receive a Zoom link. Fireside Chat is an informal event series that features people and projects in reproducible research. Thank you for joining us! We’re delighted to have you here. 🔥 Propose a topic for a Fireside Chat Can’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us: http://bit.ly/turingway We invite proposals for future discussions on building cross-community collaborations, establishing context-specific support systems and working together towards global sustainability of the open infrastructure as part of this event series. Please propose your suggestion below or reach out to Malvika Sharan by emailing theturingway@gmail.com. 📢 Who should we feature/invite in the next session? (This could be you, someone you admire, a project that you are proud of or a group/topic that could be useful to highlight) 🗣️Welcome! (Malvika Sharan) 👋 Icebreaker (Getting to know each other and this Etherpad for collaborative notes) Name / City you are joining from / Social media (if you'd like to connect with others) / How does translation and multilingual approaches impact your work/communities you participate in? * Malvika Sharan / London, UK / t @malvikasharan / Translation process have allowed me to connect and learn from different communities. It has enriched my understanding of their need and impact on research loandscape. * Anelda van der Walt / Western Cape, South Africa / t @aneldavdw / * Batool Almarzouq/ Saudi Arabia / @batool664 / * Yanina Bellini Saibene / Argentina / t @yabellini / It allows us to be part * David Pérez-Suárez / London, UK / 🐦 @dvdgc13 / Translations helps us to reach farther, getting new ideas and different perspectives. * Angelique Trusler / Johannesburg, South Africa / @AngeliquePhd /With South Africa having 11 national languages it will help us teach and support more * Sarah Stevens (she/her/hers) / Madison, WI, United States / @microStevens / In a broad way it affects the accessiblity of the various communities I work in, as having materials in only one language is a barrier for individuals to join and particpate in those communities. This also means the communities in question miss out on including an important diversity of thoughts and perspectives. * Camila Rangel Smith (she/her)/ London, Uk/ t: @CamilaRangelS/ * Jez Cope (he/him) / Yorkshire, UK / 🐦🦊🐙 jezcope / British Library collections include many different languages and scripts, including historical ones, but handwritten text recognition is primarily focused on English/other western languages & scripts, so transcription of much of this digitised material is challenging * Kirstie Whitaker (she/her) / London, UK / t: @kirstie_j / I care most about translation and multilingual approaches because I worry quite a bit about being really hypocritical!! Like, we say "we want everyonet to feel able to participate" and then quietly whisper (but only if you speak English)!! That's no good! * * I can only speak English so the other impact is that I'm always completely in awe of everyone working in multiple languages. KUDOS and thank you! * Lena Karvovskaya (she/her) /Delft, the Netherlands/@lingdata In my work I have to switch between Dutch and English. It is very difficult sometimes because the language can create a huge barrior for participation. At the same time it's not feasible to do everything in both languages * Sarah Gibson / London, UK / t: @drsarahgibson, gh: @sgibson91 * Ayesha Dunk / London, UK / I studied Thai in my undergrad and spent a year of that studying at a University in Thailand - it was really eye opening living and studying in a country where the language was not my mother tongue. At times, I felt very alone! Translation and multilingual approaches will apply to my work in the training and skills team at the Turing and understanding how best to make what we do as inclusive as possible. * Jennifer Ding (she/her) / London, UK / t: @jen_gineered / applying non-English language models to "understanding" social media conversation has opened my eyes to how much of the "nautral language translation" challenge is still very much an open problem, especially for Internet lingo like slang/memes * Heather Turner (she/her) / Newport, UK / tw: @HeathrTurnr / translation and multilingual approaches enable wider participation in the R community, e.g. in conferences, or websites, in R itself. We had an issue about documentation translation as a possible Google Season of Docs project: https://github.com/rstats-gsod/gsod2022/issues/1. It was considered to be low priority as Google Translate does a reasonable job (tested by a French speaker). I'd be interested in what other people think - feel free to get in contact or comment on the issue. * Kozo Nishida (he/him) / Osaka, Japan / @kozo2 / Japanese people tend to avoid English, and the presence or absence of translation has a great impact on the communication of information. * Achintya Rao / Bristol, UK / @RaoOfPhysics * Aida Mehonic / London, UK / T: @amehonic / * Piv Gopalasingam (he/him) / Cambridge, UK / Tw: @Cascade21 GH: @PivG / Many bioinformatics trainees + trainers have English as a second/third language, for global bioinformatics training, supporting multilingual training is crucial but capacity to do so within EMBL-EBI requires development. Future positive outcomes? Great bioinformatics/biosci and innovation worldwide, and democratizing science further.. In Latin America we supported work to translate training materials to Spanish, and support delivery in Spanish (or Portuguese, for our train the trainer work). * Alejandro Coca / London, UK / t: @alejo_coca / Democratising open science knowledge and scientific software practices in the environmental science community. * Natalia Morandeira (she/her) / Buenos Aires, Argentina / Tw @Nat_Mora_ / Removes language barrier when learning or when reading an article. It's s * Anne Treasure / Cape Town, South Africa / @annemtreasure * Esther Plomp / Delft, the Netherlands / @PhDtoothFAIRy / The majority of the community does not natively speak English and we have data available in several languages. * Vicky Hellon / London, UK. @vickyhellon * María Nanton / Buenos Aires, Argentina / @bynans1 / Translation lowers the barrier to entry for people who want to enter the data science / analytics field coming from disciplines that are not used to working with English resources. Many of the attendees to our RLadies meetups are beginners or juniors for whom language could be a serious barrier for getting to the adequate resources they need for their career change. * Patricia Herterich / Edinburgh, UK / @pherterich * Vanessa Vogel-Farley/Wisconsin, US/. translation and multilingual approaches impact my work/communities I participate in by allowing rare disease communities to connect and create data that represents ALL of those affected by that rare disease not just those that are usually represented in research and clinical insights. Rare disease does not have boarders or a central language which means we need our approaches to not have those either. * Typhaine Paysan-Lafosse (she/her) / Cambridge, UK / @typhainepl / I've done my university studies in France and all the scientific resources were in English, making it difficult for me to understand. As part of my job I give training, atm exclusively in English, I'd like to develop training material in other languages to make it accessible to a wider community. * Rayya El Zein / Philadelphia, USA / @rayelz / * Emilio Mayorga / Seattle, USA / * Cecilia Herbert (she/her) / Buenos Aires, Argentina / @ChuckleScience / Having educational resources in one's own language allows us to focus more on the content than how it is expressed, thus learning better as well as helping to share more easily within local communities (This is part of why we founded Talleres Open Source). In my graduate degree, most of the publishing work I had to do twice since we publish our theses in Spanish but publish papers in English. This is not necessarily taken account as part of the programming/data analysis workflow. #### ⁉ Open Q & A for the event hosts Questions covered by the panelists * What can we learn from the humanities, arts, literature, industry or other domains where the translation or multilingual practices are more mature? You can give either a positive or not so positive example/experience. * **Question for David:** What are different aspects of translation and can you mention some related challenges you have faced and how you have address them? (thinking about internationalisation vs localisation) * For collaborations on Spanish materials (translations or new materials) involving volunteer contributors from different countries, how do you make localization decisions when contributors' time/bandwidth is limited and you're trying to maximize your audience? I imagine there are similar challenges with other multi-national languages like Arabic. 📝 Notes and comments by attendees * What can we learn from the humanities, arts, literature, industry or other domains where the translation or multilingual practices are more mature? You can give either a positive or not so positive example/experience. * Multilingual experiences * signs in multiple languages * repeated TV programme in different language on different days * What are different aspects of translation and can you mention some related challenges you have faced and how you have address them? (thinking about internationalisation vs localisation) * not all translations are exactly the same as the source - e.g. wikipedia pages. Sometimes the translations can be better than the original. e.g. https://www.wired.com/2016/10/wired-book-club-ken-liu-interview/ * think about organisation - which language are you going to use, how you're going to work, etc * localisation vs just straight translation of * Yani: you can't just take the words and translate word for word. There are different "flavours" for each language. Have to decide which flavour will be used. How to translate technical terms consistantly. How to handle gender. Especially for languages where words are not gender neutral. Also gender neutral language. Not just words either, need to translate diagrams etc. * Here is some info from one of the projects Yani was involved in: https://github.com/gvwilson/teachtogether.tech * Here are the guide of the translation (in Spanish): https://github.com/gvwilson/teachtogether.tech/blob/main/es/README.md * Natalia: Figures and their alt-text * Bobby: some English words do not exist at all in other languages and vice versa. * Yani: making the text more relatable by changing the names to local names, using local cities, local literature, etc in examples. Can end up feeding back improvements to the original text, as really get to the bottom of what the author meant. * Camila: can be hard for collaboratively written text like the Turing Way - don't have one author to refer to, to understand how to translate effectively. * Batool: most tools do not support non-Latin script or languages that are read right-to-left (RTL) * Carpentries' Glosario: https://glosario.carpentries.org/ * Low-resource languages * Knowledge Equity Lab podcast: Knowledge by Whom? Knowledge for Whom? https://knowledgeequitylab.ca/podcast/ep1/ * Camila: automatic machine translation is biased, but gets information out; human translation and review is better, but can stop information flow * Yani: need people for localization even if automatic translation gets better, especially for teaching. Paying people would help! * Malvika: need diversity in the room - sometimes a localization (e.g. changing to local newspaper) may seem a good idea, but might not be received well! * Yani: need translation from non-English languages to English as well, non-English speakers have a lot of knowledge to share. * Bobby: need user-friendly apps for translation (avoiding programming syntax/markup) * Batool: labour needs to be acknowledged, e.g. having to produce material twice in own language and in English. * David: embedding multilanguage culture from the beginning, early in children's lives. * Camila: large language models should not be in the hands of big companies * Anelda: organizations and companies should use the expertise of people wih lived experience #### References * Localisation platforms - sharing glossaries across projects to find terminology when concepts are new in languages * * Language policy framework from South Africa: https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202011/43860gon1160.pdf * A lovely multilingual magazine for/by African youth - https://issuu.com/africanyouthliterature ---- ## Archive: 10 December 2021 # Fireside Chat - Hosted by The Turing Way Short link to this Etherpad: [https://bit.ly/ttw-fireside-chat](https://bit.ly/ttw-fireside-chat) * **Date:** 10 December 2021 * **Time:** 17:00 - 18:00 UTC (in your time zone: [https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2021-12-10/17:00)](https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2021-12-10/17:00)) * We have saved additional (and optional) 30 minutes for open discussion: **18:00 - 18:30 UTC** * **Who should join?** ***Anyone*** interested in learning more about Open Research Communities * **How you can join? Eventbrite page:** **[https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-shared-concerns-in-open-research-communities-tickets-217634158627](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-shared-concerns-in-open-research-communities-tickets-217634158627)<--- **Please register to receive a Zoom link.** * *The Zoom's waiting room is enabled. The host of this call will let you in.* * ***All questions, comments, and recommendations are welcome on this Etherpad or on Zoom chat!*** **Fireside Chat is an informal event series that features people and projects in reproducible research.** *Thank you for joining us! We’re delighted to have you here.* ## 🔥 About the Fireside Chat event *The session chair **Emmy Tsang** will be joined by **Kate Hertweck, Tiago Lubiana, Humberto Julio Debat and Melissa Mendonça** to reflect on their experiences from both the grassroots as well as established open research communities. As members of multiple open science and research groups across the Global South and North, they will explore what concerns, values and goals are shared by different communities.This event will invite future discussions on building cross-community collaborations, establishing context-specific support systems and working together towards global sustainability of the open infrastructure.* Bring along your tea, coffee, snack and questions about The Turing Way. And, while you wait for the event to start - please read more about the chair and speakers here: [https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-shared-concerns-in-open-research-communities-tickets-217634158627](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fireside-chat-shared-concerns-in-open-research-communities-tickets-217634158627). 🌻 *Can’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us:* [http://bit.ly/turingway](*http://bit.ly/turingway*) ## 🗣️Welcome! **Chaired by Emmy Tsang** * **Please note that this call will be recorded** * The video will be available on the YouTube channel in the next days: [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA) * Turn on your webcam if you don’t mind sharing your face (or off if you do!) * Reminder: * **Code of conduct**: [https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html](https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html) * If you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please report it by contacting the project members - Malvika and Kirstie (turingway@gmail.com). * To report an issue involving one of the organisers, please email one of the members individually (msharan@turing.ac.uk, kwhitaker@turing.ac.uk) * We have enabled the **closed caption (live transcription),** please click on 'cc' at the bottom of your Zoom screen ## 👋 Icebreaker *(Getting to know each other and this Etherpad for collaborative notes)* **Name / City you are joining from / Social media (if you'd like to connect with others) / What biggest concern you have for a community you participate in?** * Malvika Sharan / London, UK / t @malvikasharan / funding, contextualisation of open science, cross-community collaboration * Kate Hertweck / Seattle, WA, USA, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative / t @k8hert / community values + governance * Emmy Tsang / Utrecht, Netherlands! / t @emmy\_ft / governance (how decisions get made, who's involved...) * Humberto Debat / Cordoba Argentina / @humbertodebat / * Esther Plomp / the Hague, Netherlands / t @PhDtoothFAIRy / recognition/time spent for activities * Kirstie Whitaker / London, UK / t: @kirstie\_j / Welcoming new folks - how do we find ways to build confidence and also provide value for their work * Paul Schultze-Motel / Berlin, Germany / @psm\_os * Emma Karoune/Portsmouth, UK / @ekaroune / Keeping/sustaining engagement with the community * Gabe Winter / Jena, Germany / @GbWinter / convincing senior researchers to adhere to open science practices * Sara/Gothenburg. Sweden/yalahowy/fatigue, most community efforts rely on "in-kind" contributions which is a privilege! * Abby Cabunoc Mayes / Toronto Canada / t:@abbycabs / governance \& sustaining (apologies, I'm just listening and may step out) * Sebastián Ayala Ruano/Quto, Ecuador/@sayalaruano/maintaining communities over time and funding * Nazia Nasir/ Leeds, UK/@NaziaPCL/Engaging with the researchers who are usually uninterested in research practices. * Nadine Spychala / Brighton, UK / t: @NadineSpychala / one of my biggest concerns in (neuro)science is building castles in the air (as opposed to generating reliable robust cumulative knowledge) * Wolfgang Lukas / Graz, Austria / @wolfganglukas / creating and facilitating values-based (research) "communities of practice", e.g. with the Mindful Researchers initiative * Jo Havemann / Berlin, Germany / @openscicomm / enabling multilingualism :) and globally inclusive research collaboration * Inessa Pawson / Naples, FL, USA / @inessapawson / project governance practices that lead to sustainability * Patricia Logullo / originally from Brazil, but now based in Oxford, UK / EQUATOR Network (working with transparency in biomedical research) / @patlogullo * Tiago Lubiana / Rio de Janeiro, Brazil / @lubianat / How to reduce the stress people have to withstand ## ⁉ Open Q \& A for the event hosts * **QUESTION for the panel:** Comment from Patricia Logullo: I agree with Tiago that the access to knowledge is a human right. Especially regarding human health. However, I have been facing situations where the producers of medical devices don't share their code and data because of copyright/patent barriers. They foresee a medical product/device will be commercially available in the future (when properly tested) so they don't share now -- which impairs checking and vetting and reviewing. Can you comment? * Sorry about the delay! I'll try to comment whenever we have some time :) - Tiago * * Comment from Aricarxiv: in my view it’s a matter of unlearning and easing pressure points. ECRs come into the system with an open mind and intention to share their findings but t * **QUESTION for the panel:** Question from Emma Karoune: Do you think funder policies on open access/research, such as in UKRI and ERC, will actually influence the change of research culture? Will it make those that are not adopting these practices want to or need to join in? * Comment from Rory: comment to Melissa's point about the difficulty of creating community at particular institutions. I was going to mention and described the ReproducibiliTEA 'movement' which is helping to enable this kind of community building at many universities here in the UK. * Comment from Sara el Gebali: There is something to be said about “standard-templated” code of conducts that don’t take into account divergence, whether it is neurodivergence, cultural, etc… The bigger the community is, the more heterogeneous and you are bound to end up offending someone and conflicts are bound to happen, but having sensible good faith code of conducts that outline just that, coupled with kindness should be a prioritised and not fall into the trap of “I have a COC, now all is well with the world” Rather, what does it promote is more important! * Kate: Sara, I absolutely agree with this. I’ve been learning recently about new-to-me communities for which a boilerplate Code of Conduct is mismatched against the surrounding culture. Again, this is more an issue of communication and language than the actual values involved, which hopefully means there are additional templating solutions that can assist! * Sara: Kate, the emphasis on values, and it will have to do with the commitment and engagement of the community leader/s as well as looking at who is evaluating code of conduct breaches (diverse committee who can perhaps relate to the issue with empathy). The point I’m trying to make is, it is not a one-size fits all. The landscape of the community will have an impact on the COC which should be a living document as the community grows. 🙂 * Wolfgang Lukas: Adding to @Sara and related to @Kate and @Tiago: I wonder if rather than thinking of “enforcing” principles, values, codes of conduct, etc., we may emphasize “enacting” them: both in the sense of “putting them into action/practice in ourselves” (being the change, walking the talk) and in the sense of “enaction” as e.g. put forth by Francisco Varela and others: co-creating meaning. It’s a bit difficult to operationalize but can be guided by values/intentions/attitudes such as “kindness” (thanks Sara!) / benevolence, generosity, compassion etc. - so these values, CoC, etc. neither become a boilerplate/token thingy, nor a tool for attacking each other. (Sorry for my rather convoluted expression of this!) * Sara: With he Opencider community we realised for LatinAmerica telegram works best, for Africa, Facebook is more a thing, and for many others, Slack and/or element. The solution was bridging between as many as possible channels to collate the conversation ## 📝 Notes and comments by attendees * Humberto: Concern - accessibility and human rights in science and education. * Kate: Concerns - respect for decision making in open research. Informing funding for enabling research. * Tiago: work with many communities, as leader, organiser, contributor * Melissa: working in numpy and python, received funding to improve EDI efforts in these communities * Positioning their definition of openness: * Kate: It means that information or events are discoverable or find double that people can actually attend or participate in whatever events are happening, or Be able to use whatever information they've
 been able to find. * Tiago: human right of accessing knowledge and doing open research open data, it's trying to ensure that this right, have equal access to knowledge is something that is, not only in theory, but in practice. * Humberto: Quoting UNESCO document of open science - movements and practices surrounding sensitive knowledge to make it accessible available reproducible fair and equal, it has a lot of aspects of it but I like the, the one or the combination of inclusive approaches * Melissa: openness is an invitation to participate and support to be able to participate more than access - Inclusion more than access. * Emmy: there is alignment of these terms, yet there are layers of knowledge. * What is closed? * People can't just join project, challenges of working in open, public and making mistakes are imminent * There is a steep learning curve when people can get involved. * You need training, support and resources to understand the process and truly feel empowered to participate * We have to learn to balance Openness against rights to privacy, policy * There is some sense of privilege given to certain people (careerwise, socio-technical situation) to do things openly * How do we make decision as an organisation: for example, what does participation mean to everyone, what gets merged, what contribution is counted? * In many communities, decision making is not dicussed openly, that leads people away * Discussion on "as open as possible" * How to manage information aroung IP, indigenous knowledge, endangered species * Common kowledge and common culture: * People tend to repeat "power culture" - they learn what they see and that can often minimise the local context * There is a certain culture around. Open Science communities and how they're supposed to be done. That is also very excluding to some groups of people, and. And so, I wonder, you know, if, if we're sort of stepping on our toes here and, and not doing the thing that we actually want to do which is perhaps what's the other said, just to for people to feel like they can have their own path and shape the way that they want to do science and research or just be in the way that they feel most comfortable.
 * Need of infrastructure support (org, govt) * Incentives for open access/research is minimum in some places - it requires hard work to push for behaviour change and to enhance awareness of open research * "Science progresses one funeral at a time” [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s\_principle](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s\_principle) Hopefully the new generation including us will change this 🙂 * We need to make sure that our practices match our value * Make expectation explicit, guidelines for interacting with other people, policy should be encforced * open parctices act as ripple effect - if funders say that they have open mandates for publication, it nudges researchers, that nudges their collaborators, and the next group * Balancing the action of opening space * The open hardware discussion reminded me of [https://opentrons.com/](https://opentrons.com/) which has an open hardware model and is having commercial success * Virtual doesn't mean accessible for everyone. ## 📢 Who should we feature/invite in the next session? (This could be you, someone you admire, a project that you are proud of or a group/topic that could be useful to highlight) * Translation process to make research and data science truly global: Batool Almarzouq, Alejandro Coca, Camila Rangel Smith, Anelda van der Walt, People from the Carpentries Japanese team, Masekhane - [https://www.masakhane.io]([]https://www.masakhane.io[]) , Wendi Bacon ### Useful links * *Couldn’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us: *[http://bit.ly/turingway](*http://bit.ly/turingway*) * Shared notes for collaboration cafes: [https://hackmd.io/@turingway/collaboration-cafe](https://hackmd.io/@turingway/collaboration-cafe) * Weekly coworking calls: [https://hackmd.io/@turingway/coworking-call](https://hackmd.io/@turingway/coworking-call) * The Turing Way GitHub repository: [https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way) * All about online Collaboration Cafes * Turing Way calendar: [https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ](https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ) * Contribution guidelines: [https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md) * Join us on Slack: [https://tinyurl.com/jointuringwayslack](https://tinyurl.com/jointuringwayslack) * Join the mailing list: [https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay) License: CC BY 4.0, *The Turing Way*, 2021 ## Archive: 22 October 2021 The Turing Way Fireside Chat ============================ Short link to this Etherpad: [https://bit.ly/ttw-fireside-chat](https://bit.ly/ttw-fireside-chat) - **Date:** 22 October 2021 - **Time:** 13:00 - 14:00 UTC/14:00 - 15:00 London time (in your time zone: [https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2021-10-22/14:00)](https://arewemeetingyet.com/london/2021-10-22/14:00)) - **Who should join?** **_Everyone_** _interested in learning more about The Turing Way project, community, and more!_ - **How you can join? Eventbrite page:** [https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-turing-way-fireside-chat-tickets-185011543507](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-turing-way-fireside-chat-tickets-185011543507) <\-\-\- **Please register to receive a Zoom link.** - _The Zoom's waiting room is enabled. The host of this call will let you in._ - **_All questions, comments, and recommendations are welcome on this Etherpad or on Zoom chat!_** **The Turing Way Fireside Chat is an informal event series that features people and projects in reproducible research. ** _Thank you for joining us! We’re delighted to have you here._ 🔥 About the Fireside Chat event -------------------------------- At this inaugural event, Cassandra D. Gould van Praag, a contributor and community member of The Turing Way will be joined by the project lead Kirstie Whitaker and senior researcher Malvika Sharan to catalyse informal chat and discussion about The Turing Way's history, vision and goals in the context of research reproducibility. Read more here: [https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-turing-way-fireside-chat-tickets-185011543507](https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-turing-way-fireside-chat-tickets-185011543507). Bring along your tea, coffee, snack and questions about The Turing Way. _Can’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us:_ [_http://bit.ly/turingway_](http://bit.ly/turingway) 🗣️Welcome! ----------- **Cass** - **Please note that this call will be recorded** - The video will be available on the YouTube channel in the next days: [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPDxZv5BMzAw0mPobCbMNuA) - Turn on your webcam if you don’t mind sharing your face (or off if you do!) - Reminder: **Code of conduct**: [https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html](https://the-turing-way.netlify.app/community-handbook/coc.html) - If you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please report it by contacting the project members - Malvika and Kirstie (turingway@gmail.com). - To report an issue involving one of the organisers, please email one of the members individually (msharan@turing.ac.uk, kwhitaker@turing.ac.uk) - We have enabled  the **closed caption (live transcription),** please click on 'cc' at the bottom of your Zoom screen 👋 Icebreaker ------------- _(Getting to know each other and this Etherpad for collaborative notes)_ **Name / City you are joining from / Social media (if you'd like to connect with others) / What brings you to this event?** - Cassandra Gould van Praag / Oxford, UK. / twitter@cassgvp / Conencting with you all! - Kirstie Whitaker / London, UK / t: @kirstie_j / Malvika invited me to tell you all about the origin story of The Turing Way <3 - Malin Sandström (she/her) / Stockholm, Sweden / @msandstr / Curiosity about Turing Way - Malvika Sharan / Ranchi, India / @malvikasharan / We want to create a space for people who don't have time to connect with The Turing Way in other participatory events to come along and hang out with us! 🌷 - Achintya Rao / Bristol, UK / @RaoOfPhysics / Catching up on recent TTW updates! - Rachael Pirie / Newcastle, UK / @rachaelpirie203 / find out more about the Turing Way - Kim Martin / Stellenbosch, South Africa / [www.linkedin.com/in/kimcmartin](http://www.linkedin.com/in/kimcmartin) / Want to learn more about the Turing Way activities and community - Nadine Spychala / Brighton (UK) / t: @NadineSpychala / find out what the Turing Way exactly is :) - Jez Cope (he/him) / North Yorkshire, UK / [https://scholar.social/@petrichor](https://scholar.social/@petrichor);  - Alden Conner (she/her) / London, UK / Learning about the Turing Way - Arielle Bennett (she/her) / London, UK / tw: @biotechchat / Finding out more about the early days of The Turing Way  - Sarah Gibson (she/her) / London / gh: @sgibson91, t: @drsarahlgibson / Core contributor here to support folks presenting - Patricia Herterich (she/her) / Edinburgh, UK / @pherterich / Catching up with the Turing Way again - Robert Isdell (he/him) / Gloucester Pt, USA / t: @IsdellRobert / Want to learn about the Turing Way - Steven Kambouris (he/him) / Melbourne, Australia / t: @steve_kambouris / Want to learn more about the Turing Way - Jeremy Crampton / Newcastle / @jeremycrampton / New fellow here! Interested in connecting with folk & Turing Way - Caleb Kibet / Nairobi, Kenya / @calkibet / Connect and hear from the awesome panel on the fireside chat.  - Chris Jochem (he/him) / Southampton, UK / t: @ChrisJochem / Interested to learn more about Turing Way - Sophia Batchelor / London, UK / t: @brainonsilicon / Here to listen about the Turing Way awesomeness!!  - Esther Plomp / The Hague, the Netherlands / t: @PhDtoothFAIRy / Happy to hear more from you wonderful people <3 - Amol Prabhu (he/him) / London, UK / Learning about the Turing Way and how I can best contribute!  - Reshama Shaikh (she/her) / New York, NY  / Learn more about the Turning Way - Karega Pauline / Nairobi, Kenya/ @KaregaP / To learn more about the Turin way - Margaret Wanjiku / Nairobi, Kenya / @meg_wanjiku / To learn more about the Turing Way and how I can contribute - Lena Karvovskaya/ Amsterdam, Netherlands / twitter @langdata / My favourite people all together in one event: how could I miss this?!!! - Muhammad Radifar (he/him)/ Sleman, Indonesia/ twitter @_radifar/ Very interested in Reproducible Research, I'm working on Workflow Management tool. ⁉ Open Q & A for the event hosts  --------------------------------- - If you were to start your journey with TTW now, what, if anything would you do differently?  - When I'm looking at TTW, I got the impression of TTW is Statistic and R-centric. What do you think about this? - Kirstie: Just in case we don't get to this question - I've also heard that it is too Python centric! So I think that's likely the fact that different parts of the books are written by different people and with different focuses. Definitely a great way to harmonise across languages. - I'd be curious to know a little more about what you mean by statistic centric - we're aimed at supporting data scientists so we'll have a good amount of statistics in there, but I'm curious to know what you think is \_missing\_ from the over focus on statistics? - Radif: Yes, one of this assumption is caused by the people in TTW. Also maybe the job vacancies in TTW is require the applicant to have background in stats/data science. Oh I'm a Python programmer BTW :D - Ah, one more thing. Rmarkdown! this is one of the other reason. I just knew about Rmarkdown thanks to TTW. - (It may be that there are lots of chapters that don't exist yet!) - OK, I'll look forward to that :) - A really specific thing: I think github is an amazing tool for this type of open work but I worry about the de facto monopoly it now has on Open Everything ... and I don't know how to address this worry because it seems like everyone else who shares this worry also has that techbro mindset of valorising tools that are difficult to use, so I guess my question is how can we diversify the tools that people use without making it into a big "you should suffer for your art" thing? +1 - Kirstie: I think this is a GREAT question. I think this is probably one of the very few decisions that I have made that isn't "boiling the ocean" - we could mirror to GitLab?? We could have multiple options?? That would be too much work at this point. - I have said to Malvika before that I think there will be a moment when the community says: We need to switch away from GitHub. When we hit that moment then we'll switch. - I like GitHub because that's where the majority of projects are.... but at some point we're going to need to take responsiblity (and the hit on discoverability) and follow our values. I don't know when to time that.... but the conversation needs to keep happening :)  - Meta Q: Will this Etherpad be archived and if so could you link to the archived version from the YouTube video when up? - Kirstie: Probably not with the names? But hopefully with the questions? - That would be ace! :) – Achintya 📝 Notes and comments by attendees ---------------------------------- 📢 Who should we feature/invite in the next session? ---------------------------------------------------- (This could be you, someone you admire, a project that you are proud of or a group/topic that could be useful to highlight) - Jessica Nash, Education Lead @MOLSSI - Lou Woodley, director of Center for Scientifc Communication and Community Engagement (CSCCE) - Jon Chadfield from United Tech & Allied Workers [https://utaw.tech/about](https://utaw.tech/about) ### Useful links - _Couldn’t join this event but want to get involved? Check out other ways of connecting with us:_ [_http://bit.ly/turingway_](http://bit.ly/turingway) - Shared notes for collaboration cafes: [https://hackmd.io/@turingway/collaboration-cafe](https://hackmd.io/@turingway/collaboration-cafe) - Weekly coworking calls: [https://hackmd.io/@turingway/coworking-call](https://hackmd.io/@turingway/coworking-call) - The Turing Way GitHub repository: [https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way) - All about online Collaboration Cafes - Turing Way calendar: [https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ](https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=dGhldHVyaW5nd2F5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ) - Contribution guidelines: [https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md](https://github.com/alan-turing-institute/the-turing-way/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md) - Join us on Slack: [https://tinyurl.com/jointuringwayslack](https://tinyurl.com/jointuringwayslack) - Join the mailing list: [https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay](https://tinyletter.com/TuringWay) Feedback -------- What worked? - Loved the informal chatting! What didn’t work? - Not sure, if I missed it - I was missing a couple of sentences about what the TW book concretely is about, maybe outline the chapters or something like that (but I caught up by quickly looking at the github repo ;)) What would you change? - Would encourage more introductions of the attendees  What surprised you? - How entertaining it was, it didn't feel like an hour Reference: Open leadership Framework, Mozilla Open Leaders and Open Life Science,  License: CC BY 4.0, _The Turing Way_, 2021