# PEH 2021-03-01 Meeting Agenda ###### tags: `Error Handling` `Minutes` - Previous Meeting: https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/blob/master/meetings/2021-02-15.md - Action Items: https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/Hyj7kRSld - Book Planning Doc: https://cryptpad.fr/code/#/2/code/edit/1FhyaBOOANgdSTKA8xbYIt8t/ ## Agenda Items - Review action items from last meeting - Individual Status Updates - Review [Project Board](https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/projects/1) Issues - Review [RFC#3084](https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3084) for ongoing project tracking # Attendees - Jane Lusby - Sean Chen - Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. - Mara # Meeting Minutes ## Reviewing Action Items - Jane to start doing some pre-meeting triage of the action items list - Got the recurring book meeting setup - Stage the API guidelines changes and have them go live after Jane's blog post is done - Charles making progress on the Error Book diagram - Jakub making progress on the termination trait issue - Sean made no progress on adding `panic_error` to std/core - Jane to take this one since it's closely related to the blog post she's working on - Jane will be taking on all action items that involve creating issues ## Status Updates - Jane is approximately 75% done with the blog post - Updated plan is now: - 1. move error trait to core - 2. add `panic_error` function like `panic_any` - 3. specialize `unwrap` and `expect` to use `panic_error` - 4. add a reporting mechanism to either the error trait or to the `fmt` grammar for printing errors as a report including source error messages - 5. Introduce a `Box<dyn Error>` equivalent that implement's Error and not `From<E: Error>` - 6. Add an alternative Result type that uses `FromResidual` to convert error types during `?` - 7. Add lints to discourage usage of `Box<dyn Error>` - Charles is working on the Error Book diagram - Jakub is working on the termination trait issue - Sean is working on writing the content around the `minigrep` project example for the Error Book ## Reviewing Open Issues - Currently sitting on [https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3084](https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3084); waiting for more feedback from the Rust community before we decide how to move forward with it