# Pulpcore/katello/pulp_deb integration meeting See also: https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## Overview * Purpose: Facilitate release-planning between Pulp3, Katello, and pulp_deb releases * Attendees: pulpore, katello, pulp_deb reps; others as needed ## Template ``` ## YYYY-MM-DD 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Previous AIs: ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ``` ## YYYY-MM-DD 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Previous AIs: * AI: [iballou] to look at SCA-thread, add debugging commentary if/as useful * Resulted in https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/35713 * AI: [ATIX] to start a thread on import/export with "katello" tag, maybe ping iballou/sjha/paji in #foreman-dev * https://community.theforeman.org/t/support-importing-content-views-with-deb-content-with-hammer-content-import/31178 * AI: [ATIX] someone at ATIX will poke at issue #35362 ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-11-02 0900-0930 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ggainey, iballou, quba42, mbucher, sjha, hstct ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Previous AIs * pulp_deb 2.20.0 and various bugfix releases have been released since the last meeting. * gobbled up already by build-team * pulp_deb optimize sync for Katello: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10258 * will work w/ core/3.21 and katello/4.7 * sjha added to katello board, someone will pick it up * Community users are reporting possible issues with APT content and Simple content access: https://community.theforeman.org/t/debian-11-host-warning-no-installed-packages-and-or-enabled-repositories-have-been-reported-by-subscription-manager/31014/2 * EDIT: Apparently ATIX has run some basic SCA with Debian content tests which were successfull, so the above may be unrelated to SCA. * thoughts from katello: can we stick a log-stmt in katello code at profile-import level to see if we're even getting to katello? * should be a profile-cache on client for sub-mgr that can be looked at as well * in rails-console: load up host-context, look at bound_repositories? * AI: [iballou] look at thread, add debugging commentary if/as useful * Could not connect with Partha Aji regarding import/export deb content with Katello via email/irc. Any other person that can be contacted regarding the same? * https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/master/app/models/katello/repository.rb#L34 * https://github.com/pulp/pulp_deb/pull/454 * can we get a discussion started on theforeman discourse? * AI: [ATIX] to start a thread on above with "katello" tag, maybe ping iballou/sjha/paji in #foreman-dev * https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/35362 * on katello's board * may be same issue on pulp_deb tracker? * AI: [ATIX] someone at ATIX will poke around * ATIX General Outlook * mostly "downstream on el8" right now * would like to reduce the gap between downstream and upstream-katello * getting reset to katello-dev-env is painful when you're not doing it all the time * sjha: stable-katello-boxes should help * node-js-versions can be a problem - update to node14 if so ### Action Items: * AI: [iballou] to look at SCA-thread, add debugging commentary if/as useful * AI: [ATIX] to start a thread on import/export with "katello" tag, maybe ping iballou/sjha/paji in #foreman-dev * AI: [ATIX] someone at ATIX will poke at issue #35362 * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-10-04 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: sjha, iballou, ggainey ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * No agenda items, meeting called at 10:05! :) * Previous AIs * Result from last time: https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore/pull/263 ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-09-06 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: msinghal, quba42, iballou, sjha, ggainey, hstct, mbucher ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Previous AIs * RE pulp_deb and urlencoding content-URLS - quba42 to release pulp_deb w/ the fix * How does Katello install Pulp? I believe the pulp_installer is just for pip based installs. Could I just install the RPMs and start the services? Is a from RPM Pulp installation (without installing all of Katello) somehow supported? Is it documented somewhere? * look into https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore * pulp_deb optimize sync will depend on pulpcore >= 3.21.0. Given the latest pulpcore-packaging is 3.18, when can we reasonably expect this to become available for Katello? * Draft Katello PR: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10258 * katello/4.7 to use core/3.21 * core/3.21 coming "this week" * hence: katello-artifacts should be available in 3-4 weeks * HTTPS proxy (again), will this be a "downstream only fix" (for older python versions): https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/pulpcore-3-21-release-schedule/573/4?u=quba42 * in a word - "yes" :) * I would like to set `FORCE_IGNORE_MISSING_PACKAGE_INDICES = True` in `/etc/pulp/settings.py` for Katello installations. I imagine this would be some foreman-installer change, but how can I find the right place? * https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore * https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore/blob/master/templates/settings.py.erb * Import/Export feature doesn't work in Katello but works fine with pulp_deb. * work directly w/ Partha Aji (paji@redhat.com, partha in matrix in #pulp-dev) * "regenerate repository metadata" was removed from UI (for all content types) because of problems with pulp_rpm "complete mirror" mode? https://community.theforeman.org/t/katello-4-3-cannot-republish-repository-metadata-or-view-packages-of-a-repository/27045/4?u=quba42 * pulp_deb would like to see it made available for deb-repos * "Why does RPM 'Win'?" * Partially a one-off emergency fix * katello would like to have it back as well * what katello PR removed this? * [katello link](https://github.com/Katello/katello/commit/79e606ac3ffcb416c3c03baeca12e083e24bbe84#diff-61d56e6a99080fb276547067d3f4f0fb0f74be652157984f5914a7fb16ae1104) * great discussion around what "republish" means for other content types * maybe remove UI IFF "complete mirroring" in use * Forklift issues. * what's up w/ katello-devel? * centos7/8-katello-stable/unstable aren't working (for a variety of reasons) * see foreman-dev matrix * hstct: anually reinstall webpack? * sjha: "bundle exec rails webpack:compile in foreman dir.." * sjha: immediately upgrade nodejs to 12 on dev-box * sjha: delete package-lock/node files in foreman/katello and reinstall? * iballou: stable boxes should "just work"? ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-08 ~~02~~ -09 1000-1030 GMT-5 (rescheduled due to conflict) ### Attendees: quba42, sjha, iballou, hstct, ggainey ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Katello smart-proxy sync and SLES: * https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/35332 * https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/issues/2691 * quba42 to experiment w/ the committed Pulp fixes, work w/ dalley if there are questions * The [Katello-Satellite integration meeting](https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp3-integration-meeting/37/56) appears to have discussed a "satellite backport strategy" in a non-public [Google document](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bgJq_zL2Bc896SHUD1QxRMHJsm1EVZif4avQj8Q4P6Q/edit). While I am sure this is non-public for sound reasons, I would be interested in anything you feel you can divulge (from this backport strategy), since we are obviously facing the same issue with orcharhino (and have done some experimenting of our own for example with backporting migrations). * [AI] iballou to make the public parts, public, in a Discourse thread * pulp_rpm SLES issue fixed in pulp_rpm, [but not packaged for Katello](https://community.theforeman.org/t/content-view-not-synced-to-all-proxies/29593/8?u=quba42) How to request a RPM z-version bump? * I believe this has since been packaged * "what gets backported and when does it get packaged" is part of the "backport" discussion, above * packaging requests can be made on Foreman Dev-discussion Discourse * Revisit HTTPS proxy discussion under "Previous AIs" * pulpcore issue https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/issues/3036 * see discussion in core PR https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/3038 * see discussion in the original BZ https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1993917 * ggainey made as much of it public as we're allowed to * please contribute to discussion in that PR * [AI] ggainey to look for any other discussion around this and include here * https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/35148 * url-encoding bites us Again * [AI] quba42 - pulp_deb needs releases w/ the fix * pulp-plugin-branch release into a katello-version can be Exciting * once pypi release exists, see prev discussion RE packagin team * client bindings can make things even More Fun (but not in this case) * Previous AIs * quba42 to double check about pulp_2to3_migration plugin removal * It looks like `foreman-maintain content remove-pulp2` removes the RPM package and also cleans up the DB removing every trace of the plugin (even on pulpcore 3.14 before plugin removal was a pulpcore feature). * quba42 to talk to sjha RE upload-issue * It looks like these issues are nearing a fix: * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10190 * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10164 Thanks @ sjha! * Should this be backported to Katello 4.5? https://community.theforeman.org/t/new-user-seeking-update-advice-with-foreman-debian/29011/7 * iballou to consider requesting from pulp a "can I upload this content to this repo with this name?" standardized API * https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/issues/2911 * Is there an update on what Katello version will regain HTTPS proxy support? * The [satellite bugreport](https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1993917) says "Target Milestone: 6.12.0" * Bottom of [this post](https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp3-integration-meeting/37/56) looks related as well. * Releasing katello-host-tools - https://github.com/Katello/katello-host-tools/pull/132 * paji has a question outstanding preventing merge * Katello community demo: https://community.theforeman.org/t/foreman-community-demo-114/29198 * would be cool to have ATIX demo pulp_deb CV filtering * [AI] quba42 to talk to msinghal about presenting ### Action Items: * RE backport/release discussion - iballou to make the public parts, public, in Discourse thread * RE HTTPS Proxy work - ggainey to look for any other discussion around this and include here [DONE] * RE pulp_deb and urlencoding content-URLS - quba42 to release pulp_deb w/ the fix * RE pulp_deb CV filtering - quba42 to talk to msinghal about presenting at katello-community-demo * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-~~07-05~~ 06-28 1000-1030 GMT-4 (rescheduled due to conflict) ### Attendees: ggainey, iballou, quba42, hstct, msinghal ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Is there some Katello version that does/will uninstall the 2to3 migration plugin (OR-3254)? * 2to3 EOLs DEC-2022 (currently) * downstream does this? * [ggainey] to report on earliest pulpocore rel;eaase that allows plugin removal * [core/3.18](https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulpcore/changes.html#id37) * [iballou] https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_maintain/blob/16ad4954605928da2cd3e15b1c21513cfb224121/definitions/procedures/pulp/remove.rb#L58 * How will "simple content access" impact everything that isn't RHEL? * enabling SCA causes problems for not-RHEL attached to katello-4.x * poss due to older katello (<=4.1) * non-rhel still uses the subscription-machinery (just "unlimited") * quba42 to talk to Jeremy Lenz (jlenz@redhat.com, #foreman-dev) for subscription access questions * ATIX to test internally w/ newer katello than 3.18 * can we leverage the getRepositoryTypes() action to determine if deb is enabled on a box? * katello tracks all enabled repo-types * katello tracks "is pulp plugin installed" * may (or may not) be what getRepositoryTypes() JS references * it "should" (we think?) be supported * iballou to check w/ sjha, (someone) will get back msinghal * Debian package upload update * GUI issue: https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/35060 (OR-3243) * Broken when the artifact/content unit already exists * katello has a content-existence check * relative-path? * pulp_deb has a different handling for rel-path * pulp_deb doesn't let user specify rel-path * katello checks for filename-provided (which is not pulp_deb-rule-following) * pulp_deb/katello need to come to an agreement on how to handle * we def need some tests built into katello to test the upload-API for multiple plugin-types * prob worth adding to katello-nightly would be great * having heuristics in multiple codebases for answering the same question makes ggainey Sad * Debian optimized sync in active development * hstct working on this * building on pulp_rpm experience * katello will want to take advantage once it's available in pulp_deb * look for skip-metadata-check in Dynflow tasks * https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/master/app/controllers/katello/api/v2/repositories_controller.rb#L294 * https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/b056c7960fe99f709cb225c68cd1a321ec105840/app/lib/actions/katello/repository/sync.rb#L26 * https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/b056c7960fe99f709cb225c68cd1a321ec105840/app/lib/actions/katello/repository/sync.rb#L37 * Previous AIs * **DONE** [quba42] AI to pass along "paji would like some manual test steps to see the PR fixing the problem" * **DONE** [paji] AI to go directly to PR author ### Action Items: * quba42 to talk to sjha RE upload-issue * iballou to consider requesting from pulp a "can I upload this content to this repo with this name?" standardized API * https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/issues/2911 * ggainey to monitor meeting-length - maybe we want/need to expand to an hour? * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-06-06 1000-1030 GMT-4 ### Attendees: ggainey, quba42, mbucher, hstct, iballou, sjha, paji ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * welcome to Tobias (hstct) from ATIX * orcharhino 6.0 is out https://orcharhino.com/orcharhino-6-0-0/ * Uses Katello 4.1 with pulpcore 3.14 * Reporting issues back to the community? (We have talked about this before) * Yes please. * discussion about when/whether to backport will be ongoing. * How will the breaking pulpcore 3.20 work? * release aimed for 14-JUN * Outlook: Improving pulp_deb sync performance * What has your experience been: Is performance a pure Pulp topic, or is it as much to do with how Katello uses Pulp? * almost all in the plugin itself * Tobias is rewriting tests to use pytest * ggainey cheers wildly * talk to dkliban/bmbouters * debian pkg-upload broken in katello master * ATIX nag incoming * one fix made, more probs discovered * katello removed reviewing deb-filters-PR from sprint * no recent updates? * updated 5 days ago - back on katello to review * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10072 * [paji] needs-restart PR stalled * https://github.com/Katello/katello-host-tools/pull/124 * needs help to test? * talk to Bernard? * [quba42] AI to pass along "paji would like some manual test steps to see the PR fixing the problem" * [paji] AI to go directly to PR author ### Action Items: * [quba42] AI to pass along "paji would like some manual test steps to see the PR fixing the problem" * [paji] AI to go directly to PR author * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-05-03 1000-1030 GMT-4 ### Attendees: ggainey, quba42, mbucher, sjha, iballou, paji ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Upgrading Katello nightly to pulp_deb 2.18.0 (including clients): * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10080 * https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/7836 * https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/7856 * new API, needs new client, therefore the above PRs * is anything missing, or are we ready to do the packaging-dance now? * looks like we're ready, iballou/quba42 to coord * DB field size migration and backporting woes: * https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/2503 (closed) * https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/2510 * ggainey to work w/ dalley to review * Debian Errata strategy regarding pulp3 & Katello 4.x * current draft Katello-only implementation reusing Katello::Erratum model * question1: should we add them to pulp_deb to more resemble yum-errata * question2: should we distinguish them more in Katello creating DebErratum and YumErratum models * feels possible to keep this in katello, make the inheritance/implementation hierarchy make more sense * maybe ATIX discuss internally, bring something more concrete to this meeting #eventually? * Discussing pulpcore-packaging minor version bump workflows. * and by packaged, we mean "get RPMs made" * how can ATIX make this request less ad-hoc? * current katello approach is similar to current ATIX - open pulp-packaging PR and then ping folk if ignored * new pulpcore-Y-release takes more work (since requires new directory) ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-04-05 1000-1030 GMT-4 ### Attendees: iballou, quba42, mbucher, sajha, paji, ggainey ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * State of aiohttp(s) progress? E.g.: https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/379 * "can't use https proxies w/ Pulp w/out aiohttp/3.8+, puthon3.8+" * [AI] iballou to inquire and let quba42 know, doc here as well * [iballou] The aiohttp upgrade is in progress according to Foreman packaging folks. * [quba42] At least part of it appears to have been merged for the pulpcore 3.16 repo: * https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/421 * https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/422 * katello-host-tools service restarts: * https://github.com/Katello/katello-host-tools/pull/124 * https://github.com/Katello/katello-host-tools/pull/126 * paji reviewing, discussion in progress w/ jturel * When is the next breaking changes pulcore release? How is Katello approaching the changed pulpcore deprecation policy? * core/3.20 is allowed to have breaking changes. 3.19 to be released "really soon now" (today?) * katello: doesn't want to get stuck on old versions, will pay attention to the proboem if/when/as it happens * ~~Smart-proxy download policy streamed:~~ https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10005 * Merged! * 2to3 migration issue * large migration, Pulp3-orphan-cleanup ran in the middle of it (?!?!?) * is there any way this could happen in a "vanilla katello/3.18" install? * poss a cfg-issue (katello-installer shouldn't allow this to happen) * ATIX has targetted customers in mind to test 2to3 * Pulp moving to "releases on backport-branches" to once a week * ATIX mostly interested in RPM results ### Action Items: * iballou to inquire into state of aiohttp/python3.8 in katello * ggainey to add paji to invite * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-03-01 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ggainey, jsherrill, bsutter, jlenz, sajha, jturel, iballou, quba42, mbucher ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * discussion around/about Simple Content Access * jlenz, jturel * With SCA, RH clients can access any content * as opposed to "specific subscription gives access to specific repos" * is becoming the default/primary way to gain access to RH content * concerns * inadvertent importing of SCA-containing access? * does SCA give access to other OS/thirdparty repos? * "experience changes" once an SCA-containing-manifest is imported * hammer-apis have changed, can impact end-user automation * questions * how can we "turn it off" for non-RH repos? * use lifecycle envs/CVs to control? * use repository-sets? * use Activation Keys to help? * proposal * "use/don't-use" SCA option in katello prior to manifest-import * make sure katello "owns" the "use/do not use" SCA button (independent from manifest-import) * jsherrill announcement - Katello Emeritus * iballou/sajha will be taking over his position * https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/34432 * Already has an upstream PR associated with it. * https://community.theforeman.org/t/possible-stray-package-in-pulpcore-3-16-el8-repo/27514 * how do we tell users to do migration in addition to dnf-update? * always run installer * what about client-gems? * there exist tests to make sure API calls/bindings are still valid * https://community.theforeman.org/t/validation-failed-cannot-add-deb-repositories-to-a-content-view/27524 * jlenz: import-only CVs, for airgapped systems * sajha: should we be reflecting 'rules' in the UI? * jturel: error message is...suboptimal. Prob could use a katello issue to resolve * yum-repo metadata signatures (e.g. SLES-repos): state in pulp3? * **passive**: verify signatures from synched repos (https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/issues/2285) * **active**: sign pulp_rpm repo's metadata; still tech-preview (https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulpcore/workflows/signed-metadata.html) * hit us up in #pulp-dev and ask * Does import/export require plugin specific code (at the pulp level)? What about the Katello level? * yes - see https://hackmd.io/HLptudH9R6S4PCmm8nRmmg#Plugin-API-for-pulpcore-to-call and https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/blob/main/pulp_rpm/app/modelresource.py * for katello, one liner: https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/master/app/models/katello/repository.rb#L34 ### Action Items: * jturel to get together w/ quba42/bsuttner to gather/document SCA-related concerns, report back here next month * jturel to comment on 27524 and open redmine for error msg * ggainey to add sajha and jlenz to meeting invite * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-02-01 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: mbucher, quba42, jsherrill, ian ### Regrets: ggainey ### Agenda: * "verbatim" deb content smart proxy sync: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9891 * PR under review * Any news on `on_demand`/`streamed` download policy for smart proxy syncs? (What Katello version is this planned for?) * download policy already exists for capsule syncs * we don't support streamed yet though, should be easy to add * Is it possible to have Katello run different smart proxy sync options depending on whether it is a Pulp 2 or Pulp 3 based smart proxy? * adjust the lists here: https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/master/app/services/katello/pulp/repository/deb.rb * What is the Katello Agent deprecation timeline (in Katello versions)? * rex pull provider needs to be in place for ~2 releases before katello-agent will be removed. The earliest it would be dropped is ~4.6 ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2022-01-04 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ggainey, jsherrill, quba42 ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * A failed Katello upgrade rake task does not appear to cause a failed foreman-installer run. Is this intentional or a bug? * there is a skipfailure=True * make sure it's not set to true for the new task * Why do the packages for the 3.15 and 3.16 versions of the https://yum.theforeman.org/pulpcore/ repo have a `tfm-pulpcore-` prefix relative to prior versions of the same repo? * to avoid conflicts w/ SCL (which we're using python-3.8 now which isn't in EL7 base) * do the new packages use 'obsoletes' correctly? * we believe yes * Backport candidate: https://community.theforeman.org/t/debian-repo-sync-end-with-the-error-this-field-may-not-be-blank/26603/10 * easily backportable * to what extent do 'we' (ie, ATIX) want to support backports? * 3.14 is katello/4.1 and /4.2, 3.16 is katello/4.3 * ATIX has discovered need to build ruby-client-gems on feature branches * upstream-katello always uses pypi-released bindings * discussion opened in pulp-discourse ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2021-12-07 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ggainey, mbucher, quba42, jsherrill ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Heads up: We found a nasty bug in the pulp_deb 2to3 migration. * Upstream issue: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/9616 * 2to3 Distribution tree problems are blocking the ATIX 2to3 testing effort. https://pulp.plan.io/issues/9583 * What is Katello's process for adding bugfix releases to pulpcore-packaging. Examples to consider: * On 3.14 pulp_rpm 3.14.6 is packaged, but 3.14.8 is available on pypi. There is a PR that is sort of trying to update to 3.14.7: https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/326 * pulpcore 3.14.9 for 3.14 was approved three weeks ago, but is not being merged: https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/327 * My personal preference: Package bugfix releases as soon as they are available (automated pipeline to provide the PR, which can then be manually checked/approved/merged?). * Development environment (forklift) when a change also requires a change in a pulp component? * See https://projects.theforeman.org/projects/katello/wiki/Pulp_3_Integration#Using-a-2nd-server-as-a-pulp-server-for-use-in-development * pulp_deb 2to3 is having old-tasking-system task-hang * looks like TaskReservedResource table has zombies * can try "trunc core_taskreservedresource and restart" ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 * ## 2021-11-02 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: quba42, mbucher, jsherrill ### Regrets: ggainey, msinghal ### Agenda: * Promoting changed pulp-repo-settings into Katello after 2to3-migration (best-practise) pulp_deb-distribution/-release list (comma- to whitespace-separated) Options (using rake-task): * just change it in Katello(, Candlepin?) * get current settings from pulp3(-API) and sync them to Katello * rake task or db migration since its a pure db change would work * whatever suits us best, there is no strong upstream preference one way or another (in this case) * Advanced Sync Options: What underlying pulp feature do they use for pulp_rpm? * pulp_rpm uses `optimize=false` for the advanced sync in Pulp 3. * This is most likely plugin specific (not a pulpcore feature), so pulp_deb will just end up doing "its own thing". * How best to find out what Pulp API calls a given Katello action actually triggers? * Set this to true, client bindings will start logging: https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/master/app/models/katello/concerns/smart_proxy_extensions.rb#L180 * State of PRs: * got many deb related Katello PRs merged! Thanks to everyone! * Nearing completion: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9634 (Oracle ULN related) * Will have one more look at the failing tests. * Set the release version on the Foreman issue for automatic cherry-picking into that release (post merge) * (How) should we (ATIX) be thinking about backports? * We are not anticipating any more 3.18, 4.0 (and probably 4.1) bugfix releases, so there is no need to backport to those versions unless some major reason to do so appears. ### Action Items: * quba42 to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 * jsherrill to have a quick look at the failing tests on https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9634 ## 2021-10-12 1000-1030 GMT-5 (moved due to conflicts) ### Attendees: msinghal, quba42, mbucher, jsherrill, ggainey ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Happy news: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/8277 is merged! If I may direct your attention to: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/7961 (needs rebasing, and then Much Discussion) * More happy news: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9676 Prompted by: https://community.theforeman.org/t/katello-on-demand-sync-repo-sync-option-for-ubuntu-deb-packages/25345 How to check what Katello release this will be in? (post in community demo as well?) * see 'target release' in issue * when do we report back to community-demo RE 'which release'? * see https://community.theforeman.org/t/foreman-community-demo-101/25360 * Fixed Pulp 3 to Pulp 3 smart proxy sync for deb content: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9706 * could use a katello review 'sooner rather than later' * jsherrill to add to their review-board * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9634 * waiting on contrib? - why? * also to be added to katello's review-please list * Patching Pulp at the pulpcore-packaging level? E.g.: https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/278/files * release-packaging-horror-story-time ensues * Mirror on sync and metadata: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/9316#note-19 * mirror=False broken in pulp-deb (multiple instances of metadata in same repo is bad) * pulp_rpm has a bunch of problems as noted in 9316 * quba42 will bring up in pulp-open-floor * Repository Creation in Katello * Making Release field mandatory (debian requires this field) * required **if** a remote-url provided * easy to add validation at create-time * problem is updating-repo does one-field-at-a-time * katello has run into the same issue, painful to address at update * msinghal doing a lot of work on UI-hints for users for deb-in-katello * If repository creation fails due to pulp error should it rollback katello repositry creation as well? * katello has done work to make this cleaner * 4.1.1 katello should have made the 'remote fails at repo-creation time' * https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/32867 * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9497 * 4.2.0 has a fix for the update issue * https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/33251 * pulp_rpm and http proxy and ULN repos - bring up at pulp OpenFloor ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2021-09-14 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ggainey, quba42, mbucher, jsherrill ### Regrets: msinghal ### Agenda: * Smart Proxy sync development environment with forklift? * atix having some issues w/ forklift * need a smart-proxy sync env, community bug reports in this setup * "proxy cannot activate puppet" at foreman-install * combining centos7-katello-devel-stable w/ centos7-proxy-devel * who should atix work with? * make puppet-module-existence match on server/proxy * open a thread if we continue being unable to fix * error logs: ``` vagrant up centos7-proxy-devel 2021-09-14 08:49:23 [ERROR ] [configure] Proxy centos7-proxy-devel.example.com has failed to load one or more features (Puppet), check /var/log/foreman-proxy/proxy.log for configuration errors 2021-09-14 08:49:23 [ERROR ] [configure] /Stage[main]/Foreman_proxy::Register/Foreman_smartproxy[centos7-proxy-devel.example.com]/features: change from ["Container_Gateway", "Logs", "Pulpcore", "Puppet CA", "Registration", "Templates"] to ["Container_Gateway", "Logs", "Pulpcore", "Puppet", "Puppet CA", "Registration", "Templates"] failed: Proxy centos7-proxy-devel.example.com has failed to load one or more features (Puppet), check /var/log/foreman-proxy/proxy.log for configuration errors 2021-09-14 08:49:24 [ERROR ] [configure] /Stage[main]/Foreman_proxy::Register/Foreman_smartproxy[centos7-proxy-devel.example.com]: Failed to call refresh: Proxy centos7-proxy-devel.example.com has failed to load one or more features (Puppet), check /var/log/foreman-proxy/proxy.log for configuration errors 2021-09-14 08:49:24 [ERROR ] [configure] /Stage[main]/Foreman_proxy::Register/Foreman_smartproxy[centos7-proxy-devel.example.com]: Proxy centos7-proxy-devel.example.com has failed to load one or more features (Puppet), check /var/log/foreman-proxy/proxy.log for configuration errors 2021-09-14 08:49:25 [NOTICE] [configure] System configuration has finished. ``` * Hard to diagnose 2to3 migration issues. * how do we get better prob-det info from user-reports? * there is no good answer for this :'( * `foreman-maintain content migration-reset` * Katello deb package applicability PR: * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/8277 * lots of discussion/review has happened already * vercmp - can this be done in sql? * deb rules don't let us play the same tricks we do in rpm * need to be able to define a new string-type w/ it's own operators * installing the type 'correctly' requires root-access * jsherrill to review test-state in PR * Pulp/Katello import/export feature? * exists in katello - rpm/ansible/file * "super easy" to add new types * jsherrill to share PR that enabled a new type in katello * ggainey owes folks links to imp/exp docs ASAP * https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulpcore/plugins/plugin-writer/concepts/subclassing/import-export.html * https://hackmd.io/@ggainey/pulpimport_export_design * https://hackmd.io/@ggainey/importexport_lowlevel_naturalkeys * Think about subjects for pulpcon! ### Action Items: * ggainey: imp/exp links fwded * ggainey to add minutes to https://discourse.pulpproject.org/t/katello-pulp-community-integration-meeting-minutes/39 ## 2021-08-03 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: ggainey, jsherrill, msinghal, mbucher, quba42 ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * We need a final path forward for deb_version_compare postgres extension. * will need to be in pulp_deb #soon * pulp_rpm includes as a db-migration * if we do that in pulp_deb, how do we keep in sync w/ work being done in katello-rpm? * having it in two places has downsides * building in SCL is running into build-obstacles * on the plus-side - doing it as a migration makes handling external-dbs **much** simpler * net: pulp_deb will mirror what pulp_rpm is doing * Seen on Katello: "Updated to use mirrored metadata for library repo syncs & capsule syncs" https://github.com/pulp/community/discussions/4#discussioncomment-1033849 => How to ensure pulp_deb is not forgotten as "mirror mode" is adopted by Katello * upgraded to 3.14 gave katello 'mirror mode' almost incidentally * katello adjusted to "just use returned publication" if there is one * look at pulp_rpm, see if pulp_deb can make it work for smart-proxies * broken currently, according to community input * need to look into katello-changes and see if verbatim-publication can be modelled/used as pulp_rpm is? * How exactly is Katello handling the drop in python 3.6 and 3.7 support (with pulpcore 3.15?) * build-team will handle all the plugins at once * pulp_deb nightly CI is perennially broken due to infrastructure issues => Where do I raise this issue? https://pulp.plan.io/issues/8642 * will bring up on OpenFloor * Best strategy for plugin_template application to older release branches? * community-discussion provided an answer * PostgreSQL function for deb-version compare in Katello (new PR): https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9507 * katello to merge, look into applicability-pr for deb ### Action Items: * ggainey to extend schedule for this mtg * ggainey to add minutes to https://github.com/pulp/community/discussions/7 ## 2021-07-13 1000-1030 GMT-5 (rescheduled from 6-JUL due to mtg conflicts) ### Attendees: ggainey, mbucher, jsherrill ### Regrets: quba42 ### Agenda: * Katello users reporting pulp_deb bugs that may be pulpcore relevant E.g.: https://community.theforeman.org/t/add-debian-10-repository/24157/10 * What's the correct reporting process? * postgresql-debversion-evr packaging discussion (RPM comparison) https://github.com/theforeman/pulpcore-packaging/pull/169 * how do we make it available? * build as a file, then every-db-migrate always recreates form that file? * there exists a debian-errata PR for katello, needs some attention/love before being re-reviewed * ~~What are Katello's thoughts on the new pulp tasking system? https://pulpproject.org/2021/06/21/a-new-tale/~~ * ~~Pulp CLI in Katello?~~ * Improving the deb content smart proxy sync * Permutations of Pulp 2 and Pulp 3 on Katello vs. the smart proxy instance * pulp2-proxy-to-pulp2 proxy supported now * katello-4.0/.1 supports pulp2-proxy-to-pulp3-katello * pulp3-proxy-to-pulp3-katello supported 4.0/.1 * katello 4.2+ supports only pulp3-to-pulp3 * Mirror/Verbatim sync instead of republish(including signing)? * katello isn't supporting mirror yet * pulp_deb has it implemented (and pulp_rpm) * doing this as mirrored means "no need to resign content" - which, for deb, would include the metadata, using a key that the proxy doesn'[t have :( * katello hoping to look into/start on mirror support in next 6 weeks(ish) * Katello 3.18.4 release when/what/todos? * remains on pulpcore-3.7 * jturel@(?) may be the person to talk to * release-prep to start when last packaging-pr merges * https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/6588 * Hanging pulp2 tasks: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/9011 * prob an earlier version than katello-3.18 * "handled" currently by spreading out syncs ( :( ) * another instance of "sleeping worker handed work to do but never runs" ### Action Items: * ggainey to add minutes to https://github.com/pulp/community/discussions/7 ## 2021-06-01 1000-1030 GMT-5 ### Attendees: quba42, mbucher, ggainey, jsherrill, manisha ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * AI review * release-wiki updated? - DONE * VCR-review? - moved to AI * Taking stock: Latest (for the relevant pulpcore version) pulp_deb versions now available for Katello >= 4.0.1; Now just waiting on the Katello 3.18.4 release (3.18.3 is meant to be released this week?) * 3.18.3 is, in fact, imminent * Cherry Pick the following to Katello 3.18 (before 3.18.4 release)? * https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/9306 * deb-structured-mode-pub * already in 3.18.3 (marked in attached issue) * pulpcore Django incompatibility problem (https://pulp.plan.io/issues/8691) * bmbouter is contact if backport-info required * Pulp 3 Smart Proxy modes/features * Pulp2/squid setup ATIX uses * Pulp3/katello - plans for non-syncing pulp passthru? * mirrored-metadata support for RPM makes sync way more efficient * that and on-demand * pulp3 lazy - doesn't actually store RPMs at all * Manisha will be working on CV-filtering for deb in katello * katello new-UI work largely in place * Samir working on CV-UI-side * new UI originally aimed to 4.3 - 4.5 may be more likely * if ATIX work aimed at 4.2/4.3 - focus on old-UI * deb-vers-compare discussion * deb-vers are more exciting than rpm nevra compare * working to get compare-fn building in pulpcore-packaging, migration ### Action Items: * VCR-review - AI for jsherrill and quba * AI: ggainey to schedule next meeting [DONE] * first-Tues for Jul/Aug/Sep, same timeslot * AI: ggainey to send minutes to pulp-dev@ * experimenting w/ GitHub discussions - post there, point from pulp-dev@ * https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/discussions/1381 ## 2021-05-04 1000-1031 ### Attendees: quba42, mbucher, ggainey, jsherrill ### Regrets: ### Agenda: * Taking stock: pulp_deb updates are now planned for Katello 4.0.1 and 3.18.4 (complete for devel) * Remaining open [packaging PRs](https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/6587) are red. * re-running job should fix * [rubygem-katello.spec changes](https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/blob/3a0e355a86196383225b9f3d08d0852c7c501dd9/packages/katello/rubygem-katello/rubygem-katello.spec#L59) are still missing. * will happen "automatically" for release (but not nightly) * When will the next pulpcore version branch be created for pulpcore-packaging? * please invite/notify quba42 next time we do this so he can learn How It All Works * can we add pulp-dev@ , foreman-dev@ to the email to build-team requesting next branch? * AI: jsherrill to add to wiki, heads-up to Evgeni * Is Katello 3.18 the last version on which 2to3 migrations are possible? * correct - by the time you're on katello-4.0, you're done with 2to3 * What about pulp_deb "cassette test" coverage? * AI: jsherril to sched 30 min "How to do VCR tests" pair-programming exercise * Are there plans for Katello to adopt the new (pulpcore 3.13) Pulp "autopublish" feature? * katello will prob not take advantage of this * Can version level dependencies from Katello to Pulp components be made explicit? * Goal: A new package in a pulpcore-packaging repo should never break existing releases. * Consider a multi node scenario where Pulp is on a different node from Katello. * This is a hard problem, and we need to think about how we can solve it * Multiple stakeholders on multiple schedules with multiple needs makes everything Fun! ### Action Items: * AI: jsherrill to update release-wiki with a note to notify pulp-dev@ when starting a release-branch * AI: jsherrill to schedule a 30-min "How to VCR" exercise w/ quba42, mbucher * AI: ggainey to schedule next meeting for beginning of June [done, 01-JUN] * AI: ggainey to send minutes to pulp-dev@ ## 2021-04-13 1000-1030 ### Attendees: ggainey, quba42, jsherrill ### Regrets: mbucher ### Agenda: * Katello's dependency-requirements thought process * What version of pulpcore goes/will go with which version of katello? * Do we need to do this meeting regularly? ### Minutes: * quba42: * "What's katello's POV RE integrating w/pulpcore? When/how does katello decide to update pulpcore?" * katello-3.18/pulpcore-3.7 currently - can/would we ever move up from 3.7? * jsherrill: upstream katello integration-points stay close to product-levels * lots of QE work on integration already happened * stability highly desirable * quba42: * what if you have to backport something that needs a migration? * lots of sad engineering noises followed * katello-master: currently on 3.9 * just updated to 3.11 yesterday * what's katello upgrade/update strategy? * jsherrill: * packaging is the biggest time sync for updating reqs * packaging process discussion * AI: jsherrill to send process-doc-link to quba42 * quba42: * who should quba42 work with, to get pulp-deb packaging upgraded? Evgeni? * AI: jsherrill to walk quba42 thru process? - No * discussion about need for future/regular meetings * do we even need to? * maybe once a month? * AI: have one a month from now, re-evaluate at that time ### Action Items: * AI: jsherrill to send process-doc-link to quba42 (done) * AI: ggainey to sched 15-min mtg for May (done) * AI: ggainey to send minutes to pulp-dev@ (done) ###### tags: `Minutes`