# The Science and Physiology Behind Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Using Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, much greater levels of oxygen can be diffused into the body. HBO works due to the physical properties of gases under some pressure, specifically, oxygen at pressure greater than 1 atmosphere. ![](https://i.imgur.com/TEy5WLQ.jpg) Oxygen is essential in a variety of enzymatic, biochemical, and physiologic interactions that promote normal cellular respiration and tissue function. Mono-oxygenase, intradioxygenase, and interdioxygenase are [car crash](https://www.injurycarechiropractic.com/) specific enzymes that recruit oxygen as a cofactor to execute required biologic processes. Collagen deposition and synthesis be determined by an oxygen-dependent prolyl-hydroxylase hydroxylation of proline. Angiogenesis and epithelization are also oxygen dependent. Under normal conditions, 97.5% of oxygen is carried in the bloodstream bound to hemoglobin. The rest of the 2.5% is dissolved in plasma. Oxygen is coupled with hemoglobin in the bloodstream, with each gram of hemoglobin coupled with 1.34 cm 3 of oxygen. This represents a physiologic maximum. Under normal conditions at sea level, the arterial hemoglobin saturation is 97%, and the venous hemoglobin saturation is 70%. The oxygen content can be calculated with the next equation: Oxygen Content = 1.34 mL of O2/g of Hb X g of Hb/100 cm3 X Percent Saturation Above 200 mL of mercury of pressure, the oxygen dissolved in plasma significantly increases. This is calculated with the Henry law: Dissolved Oxygen (vol %) = 0.0031 (mL O2/100 cm3/mm Hg) X PaO2 The sum total content of blood under hyperbaric conditions is add up to the oxygen content calculation as well as the dissolved oxygen content. The average metabolic use of oxygen by the body at sea level is 6.6 cm3/100 cm3 of blood. Under hyperbaric conditions, while breathing 100% oxygen, the full total dissolved content delivered may even surpass the metabolic requirements, and thus oxygen can be supplied under these conditions even yet in the absence of hemoglobin. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/npOB8QHQcSc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> Laws of Physics Charles law states that when a volume of gas is kept constant, the temperature varies with the pressure. Together, Charles and Boyle laws are referred to as the typical gas law, expressed as P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. Henry law states that "at a consistent temperature, the total amount of a gas that'll dissolve in a fluid is proportional to the partial pressure of the gas." Bottom Line: For your health, begin to think cellular! The healthiness of your cells determines the fitness of your bodily tissues, which in turn determines the fitness of each of one's organs of life. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy dissolves much greater levels of oxygen into your cells -> tissues -> organs. Hyperbaric Oxygen dissolves into your blood plasma and cerebrospinal fluid. Certainly one of the most important facts to understand is that the health and functioning of one's brain, one of your many organs, is most sensitive to deficiencies. The mind can also be the absolute most responsive organ to oxygen super-saturation. This the main reason stroke victims, in addition to other patients who've brain and nervous system-related conditions, and individuals with cognitive difficulties, respond so well to Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.