# title: How to import from/export to Arweave
# How to import from/export to Arweave
Export to Arweave makes your contents permanently accessible to everyone.
Arweave utilizes blockchain technologies and provides permanent storage at a reasonable price.
You may like to export the note to Arweave when you would like the notes to be immutable and be hosted on a different network accessible to everyone.
:bulb: Consider exporting to Arweave when publishing sensitive, controversial, or anything not intended for anyone, including yourself, to change.
You can also import notes that you have exported from HackMD to Arweave.
:exclamation: HackMD only supports export to and import from Arweave from a desktop due to the complicated steps.
Two things must be ready for HackMD to successfully export/import to Arweave.
- an Arweave wallet
- a Twitter account is needed to apply for a free wallet from Arweave.org
- ArConnect, a browser extension
Arweave is a network that utilizes blockchain technologies to provide permanent storage at a reasonable price. Exporting to and importing from Arweave are thus transactions on this network, with a transaction fee.
In that case, we need an Arweave wallet to transact, in other words, to access data on the network.
Arweave.org gives out an Arweave wallet with 0.02 AR in it. It seems not much, however, enough for a trip in the world of blockchain. We will show you how to get one.
On the other hand, HackMD does not retrieve or keep your wallet, which it accesses via ArConnect. ArConnect is your assistant for Arweave. You delegate the wallet to it, and then it will respond to requests from the website (HackMD, for example) according to the permissions you designated.
:exclamation: To be sure, there are other ways to get and keep an Arweave wallet. However, for now, HackMD only supports ArConnect when interacting with the Arweave network.
With the Arweave wallet and ArConnect ready, you can send your notes in HackMD "on chain" in a few clicks so that everyone can access them, yet no one can alter them.
## Get an Arweave wallet
You will get an Arweave wallet with 0.02 AR after finishing these steps.
1. Click [here](https://faucet.arweave.net/) to apply for a free Arweave wallet. Check the box and click Continue.
2. Check the box and click Download Wallet to download a key file. Make sure to properly store it. Click Next.
3. Log in your Twitter account. Click Open Tweet Pop-up to open Twitter and tweet the generated tweet for validation. Switch back to the webpage and click Next.
:exclamation: The tweet must be public for Arweave bot to validate it. You may want to switch your Twitter account to public temporarily if it is not.
4. Wait Arweave bot to validate and it's done.
## Install ArConnect
ArConnect is a browser extension and supports common browsers. Please [download ArConnect](https://www.arconnect.io/) from its offical website.
After installation, let's load the wallet we got from the previous step.
### Load wallet in ArConnect
1. Open ArConnect in your browser. Set a password for encrypting your wallet. Click `Create`.
2. Click `Load Wallet(s)` and select the Arweave wallet file which you received in the previous step.
3. After loading the wallet file, ArConnect would be like the screenshot:
Now you are ready to export to or import from Arweave.
# Export to Arweave
1. From Menu, select export to Arweave:
↑ You will see this message if you haven't logged into, or haven't loaded an Arweave wallet in ArConnect. please do so before proceed.
2. Click `Export to Arweave`
- HackMD has transferred the content of the note to Arweave network once the export is successful. However, it will take some more time, depending on the transaction amount at the moment, before the content is technically "on chain," for it must go through validation and other processes.
- If you'd like to inspect the content on the Arweave network, you will have to get the transaction hash, which can be copied from the export modal or on the share page.
# Import to Arweave
1. From Menu, select import from Arweave:
2. Paste the has and click `Import`.
#### :bulb: Where can I get the transaction hash?
1. At the export success modal, click the hash. This link takes you to a page at Viewblock.io, where you can inspect the detail of this transaction:
**Note:** it may take longer than 10 minutes before the data is available at Viewblock.io.
2. From the bottom of the share page (to be shipped by Nov 15).
3. From ArConnect. Every transaction handled by ArConnect are listed in the `Transactions` tab:
# HackMD X Arweave: export to arweave and earn reward
To experience how blockchain technologies can bolster idea sharing, during our 7th anniversay event, export one note to Arweave and get reward for doing so.
1. You must have a HackMD account and export while logging in to qualify receiving the rewards.