# 2022-10-18 Sculpt/Texture/Paint Module Meeting
Note: If you're planning to join the meeting, feel free to add talking points to the agenda.
- Julien Kaspar
- Joe Eagar
### Since Last Meeting
- [The Module page](https://developer.blender.org/tag/sculpt_paint_texture/) has been updated to show both Julien and Joe as coordinators of the module.
- [⚙ D16145 Sculpt: Auto-masking UI improvements](https://developer.blender.org/D16145) landed.
- Moved [⚓ T99615 Sculpt Paint: Smoothing Strength](https://developer.blender.org/T99615) to long term workboard for now. The reasoning is that it's quite orthogonal to the brush asset project and has in itself bigger implications for the brush engine refactor. See comment on task.
Joe pointed out that we could move towards the sculpt-dev implementation of referring to a mode wide smoothing strength instead of any other brush.
A more generic unfiied system is also on the table but would be a way bigger change.
We could also move away from referring to the smooth brush completely for better code.
- Further discussion on [⚓ T101623 Deleting the default cube breaks face set initialization with joining objects](https://developer.blender.org/T101623). Marked as a Design task from now.
Joe and Hans are working on a cleanup patch. THis can be part of the discussion.
- Added [⚓ T101798 Mask from Cavity blurring artefacts](https://developer.blender.org/T101798).
Joe will try to improve the quality by using co-tangent weights.
- Pablo created [⚙ D16241 UI: Add Vertex Group and Color Attributes selector in 3D Viewport](https://developer.blender.org/D16241).
THis could be unified with Jeroens canvas picker UI.
We also need to consider the current viewport color hack in sculpt mode for this and what the plan is there.
- New High Level design task for Brush Asset:
[⚓ T101895 Brush Asset Project](https://developer.blender.org/T101895)
### Needs Commit
### High Prio Bugs
- [⚓ T101743 Regression: Redo panel created on sculpting](https://developer.blender.org/T101743)
Redo Panel Barrier patch is actually tied to this. Will attach them.
- [⚓ T101203 Regression: Issues with undoing the visibility of face sets in sculpt mode](https://developer.blender.org/T101203)
Acutally already has a patch by Joe. WIll move to In Review.
- [⚓ T100988 Regression: Sculpt Layer brush "strength" jittering while in Drag Dot mode](https://developer.blender.org/T100988)
Poke mentioend devs
- [⚓ T96894 Regression: Exported sculpt details are missing till you press clear custom split normals (e.g. after FBX export/import roundtrip)](https://developer.blender.org/T96894)
### In Review
- [⚙ D15298 Support Automasking For Texture Paint](https://developer.blender.org/D15298)
Basically accepted. Just one request from Jeroen left.
- [⚙ D15596 Convert Color Attribute operator](https://developer.blender.org/D15596)
No news from Ramil
- [⚙ D14900 PBVH Texture Paint Node Splitting](https://developer.blender.org/D14900)
Request another review from Jeroen & Brecht?
- [⚙ D14970 3D Texturing: Fix seam bleeding.](https://developer.blender.org/D14970)
Needs review from Brecht.
### In Progress
- [⚓ T101593 Auto-Masking Popover for the Header](https://developer.blender.org/T101593)
Main patch landed.
Missing change is the Cavity Invert behavior update:
The Pie Menu will remain unchanged (TOggle Cvity and Cavity(Inverted). Instead the pie menu can execute operators to ensure the correct auto-masking settings are toggled.
The auto-masking settings will instead presetn the cavity toggle as the top level toggle. "Invert" will be a sub-setting to invert the cavity mask. This means cavity and invert will no longer be mutually exclusive toggles.)
- [⚓ T98070 Improved Rake functionality](https://developer.blender.org/T98070)
Joe wis workiing on it.
- [⚓ T96225 PBVH image texture painting implementation](https://developer.blender.org/T96225)
### To Do's
- Roll image mapping
- Remaining face set optimisations
- Brush Asset UI/UX
- Sculpting & Painting Manual update
- Technical Design of Brush Asset Project
- Occupied with Blender conference
- Further test auto-masking features and maybe demo material
### New Tasks
- [⚓ T101798 Mask from Cavity blurring artefacts](https://developer.blender.org/T101798)
- Create a task for the Occlusion blurring steps?
### Other Topics
#### The `Shift` key for smoothing
Holding `Shift` will use latest used Smooth brush for smoothing. This is not an ideal behaviour.
Not considered a relevant task for Brush Asset project.
But can be fixed anyway if there's time.
#### Brush Engine Refactor
We should at some point soon focus on incrementally refactoring the entire brush and sculpting code.
Otherwise it will be hard to add more features to it and to maintain it.
Brush properties and improved unified settings are things we want to push for, espeically for the goal to cherry-pick settings.
Could be done separately to the underlying refactor. But any new features will be difficult to maintain.
Sculpt-dev was used for prototyping and working out the design for the inteded brush properties and unfied settings.
Since these mainly rely on RNA this would be doable to implement.
But we need to review the current implementation and design to see how we can work this into master.
Moving forward we need todefine a high level design first and then break down into smaller goals?
(The brush properties being part of that)
High level design = Divide current code into logical blocks and how they need to be used. A global architecture that each tool/brush can access.
How we handle the stroke, tool and data.
Brecht, Jeroen, Bastien and Joe would have insights but this needs a workshop and scheduled priority.